Computers versus Tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Generally speaking...

I think that perhaps some more instruction on pre-dive planning and a post-mortem (using tables and computers side-by-side) after the dive for any dive instruction organization would help instill the correct thought/safety processes into new divers minds.

We all know computers have errors - but frankly - if you look at the warnings on your dive tables they specifically state that they do not guarantee that you will be free from DCS. Like most measurements and standards they are simply designed to minimize exposure to risk. Also - a specific and un-named organization had minor errors directly on their tables for which they needed a recall, so in that case even the tables were incorrect.

Also - we cannot forget that there are procedures in place to deal with computer failures but currently most organizations do not teach them because they spend their time on tables. Frankly - most people dive using computers, the industry LIKES computers, so there should be more emphasis on using computers in entry level classes.

Let's not forget that diving is not a solitary sport. We do it for the adventure and commaradre but like any sport it takes time to master. However - it's also an EXPENSIVE sport in which people spend thousands and tens-of-thousands of dollars for trips to far off places. Can you imagine only being able to do a twenty minute dive twice a day in Palau because you went to 90' on tables? Imagine the anger of your dive buddy after spending $3000 plus equipment and miscellaneous expenses to get there.

Also- I am pulling this out of my butt - however I think statistically speaking the number of deaths or injurys caused by computer failures are rather miniscule. If you make the comparision with those using tables you would probably find a fraction of a percent difference.

zboss once bubbled...

Also - we cannot forget that there are procedures in place to deal with computer failures but currently most organizations do not teach them because they spend their time on tables. Frankly - most people dive using computers, the industry LIKES computers, so there should be more emphasis on using computers in entry level classes.

I don't think there should be any....you should first learn the tables, then if you want, after you have demonstrated you are proficent at using a table, you can make your own decision.

We (americans) are lazy people...how many of you guys have kids in grade school that can't go to math class without their calculator???

It is ridiculus how dependent we have become on electronics, a dive computer is a tool, a cheapo used is 100$...tables are 5$. They serve the same purpose. what are you going to do if your computer takes a crap before you hit the water right after you arrive on your 4 day diving trip in the bahamas and have nbever learned how to use tables? Would you dive with the same buddy all week using his computer???

Computers are electronic, the fail, they flood, they overheat and crap....it happens...my brain knows how to read a table, yeah, tables break, smudge, and smear, but you can still make the numbers out.

Beside the fact that computers rot your brain... tables needlessly confuse the issue.

But they are better than computers... because the brain at least gets enough activity to stay functional.

Start with tables.

BTW if you really want to get max bottom time use nitrox. :D

Wednesday's dives:
105'/42min. (multilevel) SAC .48
SI=1:29 (parking lot demonstration of the p-valve)
90'/46min. (multilevel) SAC .40
EAN32, no computer, no tables

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

BTW if you really want to get max bottom time use nitrox. :D
I was hoping to use that argument next

hey pug where in PNW are you located ? near seattle ?

If you are like most new divers, the air that that seemingly tiny AL80 is what ends your dives.

At some point, though, you will find that the tables are what limit your bottom time, even with nice long 60 minute surface intervals.

If you are doing square profile dives (low profile constant depth reefs, wrecks, etc), even then a computer won't help you much, although nitrox will.

The computer makes the biggest difference in multilevel dives.

Hopefully, by the time you get a computer you will have enough awareness of previous dive profiles that you have a reasonable feeling for whether or not the computer recommendations make sense.

Unlike those who insist that use of a computer will rot your brain, I see it as an additional source of information to compare with my own on-the-fly integration of time and depth.

The best of both worlds is to use both your brain and a computer using proven decompression algorithms.

Charlie

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

I don't think there should be any....you should first learn the tables, then if you want, after you have demonstrated you are proficent at using a table, you can make your own decision.

We (americans) are lazy people...how many of you guys have kids in grade school that can't go to math class without their calculator???

I didn't mean to imply that computers should suplant the teaching of tables... I was trying to indicate that we should extend the training by a day and a dive or two to accomodate the fact that most people are using computers without any kind of formal training. Besides - this would help sell more computers.

zboss once bubbled...

Besides - this would help sell more computers.
you own a LDS don't you?

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

I was hoping to use that argument next

Many places don't have nitrox available. Interestingly enough - I have been trying to get ReeferBen to get his nitrox certification... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom