Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's impressive @750. Is this a special or have SW dropped the value?

It really depends on what you want in a DC and how much you want to spend. For a around 250 to three hundred dollars there are two good options that I have some experience with, the Oceanic Geo 2.0 and the Cressi Giotto. Both will give you all the functions of a good basic wrist computer plus some advanced options. Both are fairly large screens that anyone with average reduced reading vision could easily see.

The Giotto has a larger display but the screen protector can reduce the readability at times. In fact, I am experimenting with a peel and stick protector.

The Geo has a smaller screen, it can also serve as a watch, but there is no plastic screen protector to impede vision.

I think for the price, both are great options.

Atomic's Cobalt is an AI hosed computer - neither of which the OP wants. Also they're $1200+ change.

What about a Sherwood Amphos? It has a backlight and can be purchased for $399. Optional transmitter if you change your mind on AI later.

Capture.jpg

Welcome to Sherwood Scuba - Amphos Wrist Computer

Sherwood Amphos Wrist Computer discounts on sale Sherwood

I don't know much about them but there's also the Mares Nemo Wide:

In order to optimize readability in every circumstance, special attention was also paid to the size and brightness of the numbers, to the intensity of the backlighting, and to maximizing the viewing angle.

and -

3 Dive Modes: Air, Nitrox, Bottom time
Intense backlighting on demand
User replaceable batteries

Capture.JPG

$519 though:
Mares Nemo Wide Computer discounts on sale Mares

Last edited:

Canadian dollar has crashed against the US. When they were in the $800's, the US dollar was weaker than the CA dollar. Now, IIRC, its $1.00 CA = $0.79 US. Almost the exact opposite of that past rate.

As to anything Mares.... from my experiences (computer) with their tech support (or should I say a total lack thereof), I wouldn't ever consider or recommend one of their products again.....

It would seem they've dropped their value. Two of the retailers listed on the Shearwater website are selling the Petrel 2 for $750.

What about a Sherwood Amphos? It has a backlight and can be purchased for $399. Optional transmitter if you change your mind on AI later.

View attachment 205703

I believe you have to actually buy the Amphos Air wrist computer to be able to add AI later. The regular Amphos does not support AI (I believe).

Also, to the OP, I wanted a little extra help reading my wrist computer. I wear reading glasses that are in the +1.75 to +2 range at home. I got a set of HydroTac stick-on reader lenses from Walmart. They cost USD$15. They offer many different power of lenses, just like standard reading glasses. I stuck them on the inside of my regular dive mask. HydroTac also offers a scuba-specific version of the same thing that costs $30, instead of $15. The only difference is that the scuba ones are a bit bigger. After trying the regular ones, I can see (no pun intended) no reason to spend the extra for the "scuba" ones. The regular ones work perfectly to read a computer, so I think the bigger ones would just be annoying for the extra peripheral vision room they chew up.

I read that the key to longevity with the HydroTacs is sticking them on in advance so they have at least 24 hours to dry before you get in the water. I put mine on a week or two before my last dive trip, so they did have plenty of time to dry. I did 10 dives with them in and they worked perfectly. My dive buddy put a set in his mask a few hours before a dive and they moved all around and were useless.

I'd spend $15 on HydroTacs and then buy the computer you like, rather than limit yourself to just computers that you can read unaided. Unless you don't care about the extra money that those fancy computers with big high-tech displays cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom