Concusions effects on diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GCOAP

New
Reaction score
Right now i am 17 playing football for my school i am looking into picking up scuba diving, but i have one consern over that last season i had a minor concusion i was wondering what sorts of probloms i might run into scuba diving, i did not lose consiouseness. But now i suffer from sever headaches every once in a while. thanks for your help

GCOAP:
Right now i am 17 playing football for my school i am looking into picking up scuba diving, but i have one consern over that last season i had a minor concusion i was wondering what sorts of probloms i might run into scuba diving, i did not lose consiouseness. But now i suffer from sever headaches every once in a while. thanks for your help

not a doctor bro but it woule be wise to ask the advice of one. also try posting this in the medical forum for more accurate results. but if you ask me, you shouldnt run into problems while your diving but its best to make sure. good luck and dive safe

GCOAP,

Ask your Doctor. You will probably need a signed medical release in order to take Dive classes.

I have alrady taken a discover scuba through my gym class on the release it was just asking about concusions with loss of consiouseness. befor i take my OW i will talk with my doctor see what possible issues there might be. i prefer to know ahead of time what i am getting into so that i know what to expect.

See the doctor by all means. The hyperbaric state of diving may prove to be a help!

Pete

GCOAP:
I prefer to know ahead of time what I am getting into .
To help you understand what your doctor might consider, note that several agencies use the medical form found here:
http://www.wrstc.com/downloads/Medical_Statement.pdf

Under the neurological section, a history of head injury with sequelae (includes headaches), makes it at least a relative risk condition.

Whether for scuba diving or for general health, if I were you I’d certainly like to know more about the severe headaches. As the others said, see your doctor.

Head injuries with or without a loss of consciousness is not a contraindication to diving. What matters is there are no long term effects. This can be ascertained with some fidelity during the initial workup done during a loss of consciousness.

Any doubts should be resolved by a physician's clearance to dive attestation.

Saturation:
Head injuries with or without a loss of consciousness is not a contraindication to diving. What matters is there are no long term effects. This can be ascertained with some fidelity during the initial workup done during a loss of consciousness.

Any doubts should be resolved by a physician's clearance to dive attestation.

Clarification: it should read loss of consciousness and persistent symptoms or signs. If you bump your head on a door enough to see stars or make a palpable bump on your forehead, you aren't really going to see a doctor for that unless it was the starting point for chronic headaches, difficulty with vision, nausea, vomiting etc., The doctor will then investigate if any injuries occurred inside the skull.

Similarly, concussions lead to loss of consciousness. Any doctor will investigate the cause: commonly with a CT scan or MRI at the time of injury and sometimes a week or more later to check for effects that are changing slowly.

There also may occure a post concussional syndrome and lead to headaches...
And this without any brain contusion and/or extra dural hematoma.
This persistant headaches in the context of a "simple" post concussional syndrome wil not lead to intracanial hi pressure or to epilpsie. this is not to me an imparement to dive.
But you schould consider a neurologic examination and maybe CT scan witch is perfomant enough to eliminate an extradural hematoma.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom