Conditions at Vortex Spring 8/31/08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLENFWB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wanted to post a short note about the condtions at Vortex Spring today. I have not been back to Vortex for a couple of months. My dive buddy and I were determined to get in the water somewhere, and decided to drive north to Vortex. We all know the improvements that Shane and staff have been making the last year.

But, the thing that surprised me is how much the spring has changed the last few months. The water today was awesome! Water viz. was at least 60 feet or better. But, the thing that impressed me the best was the way most of the carpet has been removed and how the grass is growing throughout the spring. There is grass around the edges of the spring as well as grass at the entrance to the cavern. The eels are loving the grass....they were sticking their heads out through the grass and I regretted not bringing my camera down to get a shot of them doing that. There were small bass and numerous minnows that have taken up residence in the grass.

Maybe some of you won't be that excited about grass...but to me, seeing the spring look more natural is good news....and the fish are loving it!

Thanks Shane and staff for the work you are doing to make Vortex a great place to dive.

Have to agree - I was down at Vortex over the Labor Day weekend and conditions were great! Granted that was my first trip so I don't have experience with the carpet all over, but it looked pretty natural. I have some pix and video up (not on SB yet tho) if you'd like to take a look. Props to Shane and co as well - we had an awesome trip!

Side note: apparently I can't post URLs yet. Oops. I'll update later when I can...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom