Conditions in San Diego / La Jolla early March? Recommended dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rye_a

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are planning a short trip to La Jolla in early March, and I am debating whether or not to work a dive or two into the trip. She is pregnant and also hates cold water, so I will need to find a good operator to go with.

Three questions:

1) What are the conditions like in early March?
2) Which shop or operator would you recommend I book some dives with?
3) What sites would you recommend for my first dives in the San Diego area?

Well your profile says 50-99 dives so you do have some experience but are still relatively new. Don't take that as a slight. I have close to 800 and still consider my self a new diver with lots to learn.

Do you dive in cold dark water much? Not having more information on you dive history it's hard to recommend a "must do" dive but here goes anyway.

As far as dive shops go, I will always recommend SDUA first. They are not the biggest shop in town but they kick everyone else's butt in customer service and friendly staff.

Ocean Enterprises is the 800lb gorilla shop and have the prices to prove it but they WILL have anything you need. I don't go there only because of the way their owner tries to drive everyone else out of town. ....

Hands down the best dive boat in San Diego is Marissa Dive Charters. Great staff, clean fast boat and the captains have been plying the waters for more than a decade and can take you to the best spots and will also know when it's better to stay at the pier.

Weather in March can range from 75 to 45. Seriously, it's kind of bizzare. The water temp below 30ft will be in the low 50s. I dive dry, all the cool kids do. :wink: LOT'S of others dive wet year round and find a 7mm and good hooded vest keeps them warm enough to make two boat dives.

Thanks for the info. Because I live in Colorado, a fair number of my dives have been in cold, dark water. On the dry suit front, I am on the cusp of buying a Pinnacle Evo2, but plan on stopping by DUI while in SD to see if I can get a screaming deal on a return/blem.

I use OE for my equipment needs, never tried any of the stores so I can't really comment other than to say that I'm always satisfied.

I'd suggest a shore dive at La Jolla Cove (little underwater reserve) as a simple, interesting dive (rocky reef, kelp forest, max depth around 45ft within the reserve, surface is monitored by lifeguards).

If you can get a local to go with you, try Children's Pool, currently home to a large and friend harbor seal colony. You are likely to be played with during the entire dive. A note of caution: seal activists actively dissuade the public from going onto the sand and will usually convince people it is illegal to do so. This is not true, and the lifeguards will tell you the beach is open but try not to scare the seals on the way into the water (and keep the activists relatively under control).

A dive I like is a night dive off La Jolla Shores. A long swim gets you to the beginnings of a submarine canyon. Very common to dive along the "wall" (really just an 8ft ledge) at about 65ft. Much better at night, more stuff.

Try this website for lots more information, and an e-mail list full of local dive buddies: Divebums - A San Diego Dive Website

Enjoy!

PS: Oh and conditions... get on the divebums email list for constant dive reports. Some places can get quite surge-y or unpleasant without seeming to be all that bad from the parking lot, so I'd suggest asking a local how things look the day before you go. Generally you are looking at mid-50s at depth, with 5-30ft viz. I dive wet, 7mm with hood is the bare minimum.

If I only had two dives to do in San Diego, I think I would go out on a boat, Wreck Alley, and Coronado Islands are favorites of mine ... Divinmans suggestions are good ones, and you can ask Anita or Carl from the Marissa for suggestions too

What do you guys think of Scuba SanDiego for the La Jolla shore dives? I will be out the end of may on business, and want a quick easy fix...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom