Conditions Thread - Cape Ann

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimlikethefish

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Figured I would start a conditions Thread for Cape Ann, I will do another for the RI area as well if people would like to post their dives.

5-7-17
Cathedral Rocks
Nothing to report. Not diveable. Risk wasn't worth the reward, 10ft breakers.

Folly Cove
High tide was at 930ish. Start of dive was 945.
Vis at beginning 30 to 40 feet. But degraded as time passed and the tide started to pull out, 15 ft at end of dive (1045)
Water was perfectly calm as usual with an easterly wind.
Water temp at 30ft was 44.
Water temp at 60 ft was 39.
Air temp 57.
Marine life: crab, skate, flounder, no lobster still early, most likely in deeper water still.

*Parking, Rockport police have put up signs stating No Parking across the street from the Lobster Pool (5min walk.) This is where I usually park. Looks like you might have to start parking at the State Park ($2) and doubling the walking distance (11 min). Unless you are in and out early and feel like risking it.

Feel free to keep this thread alive as it helps me in deciding to make the drive which is almost 3 hours. Cheers.

I did Folly Cove on Saturday - 13May17 before the weather started turning for the weekend.
Went in at 9:40 - about 2 hours after low tide.
There was almost no life while we were down there except for a couple hermit crabs. I couple weeks ago there had been an abundance of skate but they were completely absent this weekend. Maybe they knew a storm was coming in? I heard Cape Ann scrubbed all their dives preemptively this weekend.
Going out current wasn't very remarkable but it was incredibly strong coming in. My dive buddy and I found ourselves holding on when the current was unfavorable to get back then kicking hard when it was with us.
Vis wasn't great - maybe 10-20 and worsening as we stayed down.
Temp at 30 feet was 44F, at 60 feet it was 41F.
Bottom time was an 1:20. I've seen the signs about no parking - while I didn't park in that area I did notice 2 cars parked there. They weren't ticketed but your mileage may vary.

Back
Top Bottom