Confused

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RumBum:
ummm.... I think you should go hang out at your local scuba shop for a while. It's free to hang out. Just introduce yourself, say that you want to eventually take a class but first are interested in learning more about it. Divers love to talk about diving, dive equipment, dive experiences, dive theory... really we just like to talk about anything to do with diving. There is just too much for you to learn it all from a forum, and you may be getting some lingo that you are unfamiliar with here. Also, you probably don't want to buy equipment before you even learn what kind of equipment you will like.
Welcome to scuba and happy diving! :D

ps - I am so jealous, I would love to have learned how to dive while living in Hawaii!
I wish I had the time to go hang out. Most of the time I get off at 5:30 and the LDS closes at 5. I could go to another one, but they are all (that I know of) on the other side on Honolulu and at 5pm you are crazy to fight that traffic. Eventually, I will get a real lunch break and go hang for a few minutes at the LDS.

skierbri, I don't know of a website that starts at the very beginning, although you can find discussions of almost anything at any level here on the board. But if you've really got the bug and can't wait, I can recommend a book: The Certified Diver's Handbook by Clay Coleman. It's well written and easy to read, and loaded with information that will keep you busy until your class starts.

You will have fun learning, and you are lucky to have such delightful conditions and colorful and interesting sea life for your first dives!

TSandM:
skierbri, I don't know of a website that starts at the very beginning, although you can find discussions of almost anything at any level here on the board. But if you've really got the bug and can't wait, I can recommend a book: The Certified Diver's Handbook by Clay Coleman. It's well written and easy to read, and loaded with information that will keep you busy until your class starts.

You will have fun learning, and you are lucky to have such delightful conditions and colorful and interesting sea life for your first dives!
Thanks for the info, I am ordering that book right now.
As for diving in Hawaii, I put up with a lot to live here, but the diving is great.

craborn:
You are asking great questions. If you are or are going to take a scuba class I would suggest going to the dive shop where you are going to take class and ask if you can get your book so you can read it. Most of your questions will be in your reading. Good Luck in your diving class.
I agree. That will all be covered in the book. In addition to that, spend some time in your Local Dive Shop and have them show you what each item does. When I first looked at a BC and reg set up... I was overwhelmed at the endless gadgets attached everywhere. I thought it would be impossible to understand it all, but after someone simply shows you how to set it up, you'll understand what and Octo is, Regulator, BC and everything attached to it. Good Luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom