Connecting Octopus and computer to reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the great info!

The gear I am purchasing is as follows:

Regulator Diveinn LDS

Scubapro MK18 S600 $288 $630

Seaquest Apeks TX100 $328 $655

Computer

Suunto Cobra 300B $860 $1600
with compass (2 units)

BCD

Seaquest Blackdiamond $720 $1210
(2 units)

My LDS offerd me a 10% discount off the total package but the cost differece is still huge.

My questions:

Is there a quality differeced between the above equipment if I purchase on-line vs. buying at my LDS.

Can't I still go to my LDS to have them perform servicing, tweeking, etc.

As always, all input/adive is greatly apprecated.

At Travis, Dee will be there in her "Tiger Skin" and I in my "Leopard Print", we'll look like a couple of

Aquacats

ID

Is there a quality differeced between the above equipment if I purchase online vs. buying at my LDS.

No, most of the on-line shops by equipment at close-out from local dive shops that are going out of business, etc... So the equipment itself is of the same qualify. The catch comes in the warranty (see next question).
Can't I still go to my LDS to have them perform servicing, tweeking, etc.

Yes, you LDS will probably be willing to service and tweak the equipment, but at a price. You'll have to pay for both parts and labor, whereas if something breaks which is under warranty and you bought it at the LDS you wouldn't. If you look at the websites for the manufacturers, most of them will explicitly state that any warranty is void if not purchased from an authorized dealer. However, some of the online stores will offer a warranty of their own. As to my own opinion, I shop almost exclusively at my LDS, but I'm a little biased. I work as a DM for them, and I've done all of my training through them. They treat me fair and I like the satisfaction of knowing if something breaks or I have any problems I can just take it there and have it fixed.

Having said that though, there are some items I would (and in some cases have) purchased online. Things like reels, clips, floats, etc... and I might even consider getting a BC. However, a regulator and a computer I would not, that's just my opinion.

Hey David,

I think what this boils down to is partially also your comfort - I can completely see how you like the online price better...
As far as teh regulator - figure that it is about $80 a year (parts and labor) for service - and as you know - life support equipment is probably on the list of stuff you want serviced - f you buy from the LDS and get the warranty, the labor is covered (either that or the parts - about half the money) - You might have hear the spiel about the cost of ownership over 10 years... And I bet you that if you buy the stuff online and then bring it in to get it put together, you will pay a premium price for that job.

Another thing to consider is the fair market to the LDS, how did you arrive at all this equipment being what you wanted? Lemme guess - the guy at the LDS helped you figure that out - he invested - likely hours in your choice of equipment - now imagine that you come marching in there with what he suggested you get and need help after you went out and got it somewhere else...

If I was you - and especially since you are looking at equipment that you don't want to break - I would probably go to the shop and get it. Remember if something is wrong with that computer - you will have to ship it back to DiveInn... becasue the shop guy is going to laugh his way back to the coffee pot after he tells you how much money he wants to even let you bring it into the shop...

I think that your setup looks very nice - I also noticed that you don't live right on the ocean (ok, my knowledge of american geography is limited so I may be wrong - but it is my impression that Ohio is landlocked...). I bring this up because you are looking at top of the line regulators - sure - you should buy the best you can afford, but I have to tell ya, unless you are going to be working with this stuff, you don't need the best money can buy and even then - the TX50 is what is recommended for technical or the ScubaPro G250 - I would say you can save some money with a TX50 and make the LDS guy happy AND get great service, get the TX20 for your secondary and you will be all set - you could even consider the R380 from Scuba Pro - I think it will serve you just fine for a long time... Anyway - this is just my opinion.

I personally dive G250/mk20 and love it - and it was cheaper than that new stuff and have a much more positive purge button (the main reason I personally don't care for the 550 or 600).

One last thing - there is a thread here about DiveInn and some people who had issues with them...
DiveInn thread

That's it (for now)

Big T

OK.....let's throw a little fuel on the "on-line vs. LDS" fire.... ;-)

First of all, I added up David's numbers -- LDS = US$3,686; DiveInn = US$2,196. This includes the 10% LDS discount

Second, let's think about what happens at a "typical" LDS for a diver who is not a high volume diver (say 20-25 dives a year). The advice they get will usually be focused on selling the diver what they have in inventory, and probably what they make the most $$$ on (due to mfr. incentives, etc.). LDS folks sometimes resort to bashing products they don't sell and will not always be willing to special order gear without a BIG upcharge vs. the gear they have in stock. Depending on the size of the shop, computer and BC choices (gear in stock) will be limited to just a few options....i.e., the shop is not adding a huge amount of value, since they don't have much in the way of choices.

Some will say that the situation I am describing is more the exception than the rule......not in my experience. If LDS folks were doing a great job at selling divers the right gear, none of us would be replacing our gear as often as we do.

I have to say that of the data I gathered in making my gear purchases, about 90% of it came from divers I know and from online sources vs. about 10% from the LDS. When I get value-added advice, I will pay for it. But I think we need to be a little more critical of the advice most folks are getting from their LDS.

Rant mode off -- sorry. Constructive debate welcomed!

I do agree with you LD and I think Dave is clearly doing the right thing by asking here - he has also stated that he is new to diving and at that point maybe he needs some advise from a shop - it is hard to say if the shop he went to is good or not, I know shops I consider good that only sell one or two lines of equipment...

Anyway - that is a big difference in price and I would be very tempted to do the online as well- except on the regs... part of my shoopping for regs is about the warranty and that goes away when you buy it online - no two ways about it - and no, I can't wait a couple of weeks to get my computer back - I had to do a deep dive two nights ago without a computer, botom timer or even a depth gauge and I am telling you - that is not a trivial task. Could I just not dive for a couple of weeks? I choose not to - my solution is to get a depth gauge and a bottom timer in addition to the computer - that's really what it is used for anyway right?

Big T

I have been to quite a few LDS's in my area and I have to say that most of them I've been to are really lacking in customer service skills. I've gotten so frustrated with the attitudes of some of these people. Many haven't been friendly, acted as if I wasn't even in the store because I didn't walk up to them and say "I'd like to spend a whole ton of cash here right now" I don't know if it's ego or if they just hate their job but it really annoys me. It's this kind of thing that frustrates me more than anything else. I've learned way more from Internet sources...especially right HERE than in any LDS. I am looking to purchase my first set of SCUBA gear after the winter and I am really not sure where I am going to buy it.

I have to admit that I have regreted not buying some of my gear from a LDS! Right after being newly certified, I ordered from an on-line company and had to replace some of the gear I ordered. It is much cheaper buying on-line but the ability to try the gear and have the close support a new diver needs is incrediably important!!! I realize that $1,000.00 is a lot of money, but just think about the possibility of your gear not working properly or fitting you correctly. One of the most important lessons I learned is that "relationships & diving go hand-in-hand". Start a good relationship with the LDS and you'll find greater enjoyment in your diving experiences.

NJDiver_34

Originally posted by NJDiver_34
[BStart a good relationship with the LDS and you'll find greater enjoyment in your diving experiences.

NJDiver_34 [/B]

I agree with NJDiver on this, however what can make it a little more difficult is the fact that sometimes one dive shop doesn't carry everything (brand) that you want to buy which is why it may not be practical to do business with just one shop. But as far as paying more from an LDS vs Online...that doesn't bother me if the LDS provides good Customer Service...I'd rather pay more and get good service than buy online and have to ship my life support equipment across the country for service. I definately will buy my major SCUBA gear from an LDS. I'm a firm believer that the first impression a customer gets from a stores staff is a big factor in gaining a new customer. I just wish more stores would think about that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom