Conservatism level of Suunto Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Vie,

I was in Layang-Layang from 13-17 March. Only 3 out of my group of 7 buddies saw only one 6 footer hammerhead in one of the dives I was barred from. One of them did managed to snap a shot but it was blurry. This was the month when the water is chilly at 27 deg. C. which I was told was more likely to see large schools of hammerheads.

I hope you enjoyed your stay at Layang-Layang. I'll be making a return trip next year but not in March.

Cheers.

Yeoh Chee Weng:
I was in Layang-Layang from 13-17 March. Only 3 out of my group of 7 buddies saw only one 6 footer hammerhead in one of the dives I was barred from.

My group saw a lone hammerhead near Wrasse Strip on 5th March—I managed to shoot a short video. We felt rather pessimistic about seeing more than one hammerhead but then we found a large school at around 38m near Wrasse Strip on March 7th, our last diving day. The hammerheads were moving very fast and the it was quite dark at that depth so all we managed were some rather blurry videos. we were told by the dive leader, Faris, that this was the first hammerhead school encountered at Layang Layang this year.

Although I had a great time in Layang Layang I don’t think I’ll be going back—the expense of going again would be too much.

Charlie99:
....Hydrospace Engineering has a true bubble model computer. Mares might have upgraded the M1, although it might be an emulation like Suuntos. Suunto will soon release a full-up RGBM computer, if it hasn't already done so recently. But the Vytek, Vyper, Cobra, Mosquito, et al are not true RGBM.

Look more closely at the manual and you can confirm my above statements.

Charlie Allen

Thanks for the clarification. Are you a lawyer? If you are, we can sue for false advertising ... make a bundle ... take Bruce Wienke out to dinner ... and have money left over to buy that Megladon RB (heard that Hollywood doesn't know what to do with those units used for filiming "The Cave").

On a more serious note, Yeoh CW's dive profile would be even difficult to plan using NAUI's RGBM Deco Tables. His first dive to 44M is in excess of "recreation dives". In the NAUI RGBM book the last table only goes to 39MSW. He didn't mention how long the first dive took (not even for the second dive for that matter). Assuming a modest 15 minutes, the tables require 1 minute deco at 20 FSW (6 MSW) and 2 minutes at 10 FSW (3 MSW) which looks like he omitted from his description but ... dive computers give you some leeway for "bounce" dives (i.e., dive tables assume maximum depth, etc.) ... so maybe no deco was required?? Who knows.

The second problem is that the NAUI RGBM (I'm looking at it as I type) recommends a surface interval of 3 hours not 2 hr. 15. While he followed (intentionally or not) NAUI's recommendation that the "repetitive dives ... be at least 30 fsw (9 msw) shallower than the preceeding dive, the interval wasn't long enough so there must have been some RNT.

All of this issues are moot, the biggest issue here is that Yeoh CW ran out of air. The resort rightfully took away his scuba previlege because of his air management not computer lockup. Most vacation dive boats have policy on running out of gas not computer lockup.

Yeoh, you've received many suggestions on this subject from other contributors. Perhaps the best advice is to learn how to plan a dive using RGBM tables and then planning the dive accordingly. MORE importantly, managing your gas consumption is key on any deco method.

Remember ... it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

cmgmg:
Yeoh, you've received many suggestions on this subject from other contributors. Perhaps the best advice is to learn how to plan a dive using RGBM tables and then planning the dive accordingly. MORE importantly, managing your gas consumption is key on any deco method.

Remember ... it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

Opps, meant to say "dive your plan accordingly". BTW, I'm surprised the dive operators didn't require you do a asymtomatic procedure for omitted deco, namely:

A. out less than 5 min then 1.5 x’s 10, 20, 30 stops with same time on deeper ie., 1x's 40 stop;
B. if can't go back in water then at least 30 min on 100% O2.

Yeoh Chee Weng:
... This was the month when the water is chilly at 27 deg. C. ...

That would make it 80.6 deb F ... chilly?

Just kidding, sounds like an interesting place.

Hi Cmgmg,

>>On a more serious note, Yeoh CW's dive profile would be even difficult to plan using NAUI's RGBM Deco Tables. His first dive to 44M is in excess of "recreation dives". In the NAUI RGBM book the last table only goes to 39MSW. He didn't mention how long the first dive took (not even for the second dive for that matter). >>

I stayed only about 1 min. at 44 m. and the bottom time of the first dive was 42 min. including 5 min. safety stop at 5 m. The max. depth for the second dive, after a surface interval of 2 hr. 13 min. was 35 m., total bottom time 67 min. which included 10 min at 10 m. to 6 m. and finally 12 min. at the safety stop which moved upwards from 5 m. to 3 m.

>> All of this issues are moot, the biggest issue here is that Yeoh CW ran out of air. The resort rightfully took away his scuba previlege because of his air management not computer lockup. Most vacation dive boats have policy on running out of gas not computer lockup. >>

I am not familiar with NAUI RGBM as I am PADI trained. I didn't find the PADI Dive Planner useful for bounce and multilevel types of diving and that was why I bought a dive computer. At this resort our group of 10 divers were accompanied by a divemaster though we chose our own partners. None of the dives were planned using RGBM tables, we just depended on our dive computers. The dives were planned by the divemaster and we were given a briefing. The first dive of the day was down to 40 m. for less than 2 min. These are wall dives and we were hoping for sightings of schools of hammerheads!

At the time when I realised that my deco time exceeded my air-time I had 78 bar left at 15 m. depth. I chose to try to complete my desaturation as much as I could.
I could choose to reduce my decompression and showed my divemaster that I still have 35 bars left by setting my computer in gauge mode. That way I would not have incurred a lost of 3 dives. I was the last one up the boat, the other divers were either impatient, anxious or irritated, and the divemaster knew that I was doing a long decompression. When he enquired whether I had completed the desaturation I showed him my dive computer. It never occurred to me to hide the fact. I still believed that my choice to try to complete desaturation is the better one.

However, I now realized that I did not manage my gas consumption well - I should never allowed a situation where decompression requirement exceeded remaining air.
This was a costly lesson and hopefully my last.

Live to learn.

Thank you Cmgmg, Cerich, Markdone, Charlie and Peter for helping me out.

PS. to Cmgmg: We live in a hot, humid tropical country where we are used to above 30 deg. C. Any condition less than 29 deg. C. would be considered chilly. A few of us (including me) had runny noses diving at 27 deg. C for 4 consecutive days. Those of us who have "extra" layers of fat did better. :)

Yeoh Chee Weng:
. I was the last one up the boat, the other divers were either impatient, anxious or irritated, and the divemaster knew that I was doing a long decompression. ..... I still believed that my choice to try to complete desaturation is the better one.

However, I now realized that I did not manage my gas consumption well - I should never allowed a situation where decompression requirement exceeded remaining air.
Since you knew that you were going to be short on air, it would have been prudent to breathe off your buddy's octo for a while when doing your 3m and 6m stops. Amazing how much easier it is to figure out better solutions when you are sitting at a desk in front of a computer :) Seriously, though, looking back at problems and figuring out better solutions makes it more likely that we will respond better next time we have a similar situation underwater.

"Share air early" is a philosophy that I've used a couple of times, such as when a buddy went way past our agreed upon turnpoint/ascent pressure before noticing. Because we shared gas during our slow ascent up a mooring line, he had still had a reasonable reserve to be able to swim over to the ladder and exit using his own gas, while if we hadn't shared, he would have had to rush his ascent and/or cut his safety stop short.

Charlie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom