Conshelf XIV supreme parts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sensorone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In need of a secondary diaphragm P/N 108853 for a Conshelf XIV supreme first stage 1 I know I don't necessarily need it for the warm water diving I will be doing, but would like to have it as original as possible. If used does it have to be filled with oil, or just use without oil? Have searched for one but no joy.

I
In need of a secondary diaphragm P/N 108853 for a Conshelf XIV supreme first stage 1 I know I don't necessarily need it for the warm water diving I will be doing, but would like to have it as original as possible. If used does it have to be filled with oil, or just use without oil? Have searched for one but no joy.
Have you tried looking at old Conshelf SEA regulators?

I

Have you tried looking at old Conshelf SEA regulators?
Will do. After further research on this site about the supreme, it looks like there are some options. Thanks for the info about the SEA.

I may have a used one squirrelled away. I can check if you'd like. I'm currently diving a Conshelf supreme that I packed with silicone grease instead of oil... It will be messy when I eventually need to rebuild it, but doesn't have the tendency to leak out that the silicone oil does.

I may have a used one squirrelled away. I can check if you'd like. I'm currently diving a Conshelf supreme that I packed with silicone grease instead of oil... It will be messy when I eventually need to rebuild it, but doesn't have the tendency to leak out that the silicone oil does.
This is just an effort to have the correct part on hand for future use. Is there a DIY option? Your offer is most appreciated though.

This is just an effort to have the correct part on hand for future use. Is there a DIY option? Your offer is most appreciated though.
I suppose you could use a suitable thickness of plain rubber and make a punch to cut one. I've thought about making a mold and pouring some in urethane (just because I have it, and to see how it works out).
Silent Explorers sells them

I had thought that was the one for the dry seal... looks like it is meant to replace the formed rubber one!

Thanks for the suggestions, It may remain "non supreme " for now.

Your Supreme won't work correctly without being packed with oil or grease. It needs to transmit ambient pressure from outside to the main internal diaphragm. Without oil, a relative negative pressure inside the sealing chamber gets greater with depth and ambient pressure is not transmitted to the diaphragm. Your regulator is then an unbalanced (or negatively balanced) first stage.

Modern regulators with a dry balanced chamber have a plastic part that sits between the diaphragms and transmits ambient pressure to the main diaphragm regardless of how negative the air chamber gets.

Your Supreme won't work correctly without being packed with oil or grease. It needs to transmit ambient pressure from outside to the main internal diaphragm. Without oil, a relative negative pressure inside the sealing chamber gets greater with depth and ambient pressure is not transmitted to the diaphragm. Your regulator is then an unbalanced (or negatively balanced) first stage.

Modern regulators with a dry balanced chamber have a plastic part that sits between the diaphragms and transmits ambient pressure to the main diaphragm regardless of how negative the air chamber gets.
If The sealing diaphragm (external one that seals the oil in) is not there, the regulator will work just like a Conshelf first stage. Used to do it with my Supremes when I got tired of the messy work of sealing the oil and not being able to adjust the IP pressure without draining the oil out and refiling. Too tedious for not having issues in cold water (lake Superior) with a standard Conshelf. It as called an Environmental sealed system, it actually worked better keeping your parts corrosion free in salt water when you don't rinse your gear well.

Reactions: GJC
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom