Considering diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love diving so much I became a commercial diver in 1974. I started SCUBA DIVING in 1967 when I was 16yrs old. Navy trained Diver in 1972 and Commercial diving school in 1974. I have been working EVERY YEAR AS A DIVER SINCE. I average 966hrs-855hrs per year until I was crushed by a 17ton landed across my back and sent me into the hositals and even more surgeons did even more. Three surgeries and the doctors Ok it I'll be back in the water within about 6months.
I can only do the SCUBA type outfit and no longer Hat and Hose and working long hours in the cold water anymore!
I wiss You all the luck in the world and If You need any information in the future, by all means 'mail me.. B

You can doo itt! Its the best addiction I've ever had.

Ari0429:
I am 32 years old and I am thinking about getting certified to dive. So far I have snorkled in the Bahamas, the Florida Keys and Cozumel. I am currently working on a book in which the main character will be diving, so I could use helpful hints about what the experience is really like. It is set in the Carribean.

Well did you want to dive before you started the book?

It sounds like you've been to some nice snorkeling locations so we can say that you went to the movie theatre, made it as far as the lobby, smelled the popcorn , saw the posters up close and heard bits of the sound track when cinema doors opened. Are you ready to go in to enjoy the feature presenatation?

You have plenty of local opportunities so if you are so inclined go for it. I'm 48 and about to get certified, it's something I've always wanted to do. 2 years ago I did a discover dive as something to do before I die (just a metaphor) last year it was 91 logged skin dives, all in Maine and New Hampshire, ocean and fresh.

The equipment is a little fendlier than it was years ago and the training is nothing difficult as long as you're comfortable in the water. If I had known what I know now I would have found the money to make this dream happen decades ago.

As for the book, if you want to take up the sport get a reasonable local training program, plenty of threads on selecting an instructor can be found. If all you really want is to "taste the water" then a discover (usually in confined water) or resort dive (into limited openwater with direct supervision) may suffice as book research.

Pete

Snowbear:
Diving was one of those things I always wanted to do. I finally got certified when I was 37 :11:

Now that I'm hooked, I can't believe I didn't do it sooner :rolleyes:

And here I thought I was the only one who waited too long. I had always thought about it and actually bought the surface propulsion stuff in 1994. I had a trip to the Keys planned and everything but backed out. Finally got certified almost 3 years ago and wish I hadn't waited. Imagine how many dives I would have under my belt by now! :crafty:

Back
Top Bottom