Considering learning Scuba diving at 50 years old am I insane?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all new to the forum and the world of Scuba, I am a 100% disabled (PTSD) Veteran in Springfield, Mo. who can swim just enough to not drown and takes 3 times the effort of decent swimmers to swim forward LOL I am strongly considering taking scuba lessons for exercise and PTSD/Stress relief is this a good idea? What can I look forward to in learning. I am hoping to learn for under photography, metal detecting and fun. I am a slow learner due to my PTSD but once a concept locks into my mind I tend to remember it (Just takes longer than some folks). How much money am I looking at for gear? above the beginner basic stuff I tend to try to by stuff I can grow/learn into rather than constantly upgrade as I learn. what books, video, magazines, websites ect. should I look at? computer or ipad software that will be useful etc.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

EdwardMH

Certified 4 days before my 51st birthday. I would spend some time strengthening your swimming, it will certainly help and is good physical exercise in its own right. You will likely see some debate about swimming skills.

As others have said, age should be no barrier so dont let that deter you. As long as you are mentally as physically fit and can pass the medical you're good to go. It may take a little longer with your PTSD, but all you need is a patient instructor.

As an instructor myself, I have certified many students in the 50-70 age bracket, and find those courses really rewarding to teach. In a world where there are so few surprises left, I often find that discovering the underwater world is much more rewarding and awe-filled experience to folks like yourself - as opposed to those in the younger age brackets with the kind of expectations and entitlement issues that seems to come hand in hand with the cool kids generation these days!

Welcome to our world, and good luck with your courses. Happy diving :)

sounds like you are a better swimmer than most of the local students i get here in malaysia and younger than most liveaboard divers- go for it!

Considering learning Scuba diving at 50 years old am I insane?

Your age is not an issue. If you plan to celebrate your 80th birthday like this, then I suggest you take that course. My scuba diving instructor was 70 y.o. and he's 74 now and still diving every week. Even ice diving.

We divers... we don't need to swim... we need to sink. You seem to have that skill :D Besides, you'll eventually learn to swim forward, and there is really no hurry. It's not a competition you know.

You may want a dive logbook on your desktop/laptop computer. There are many excellent software. My favorite logbook is divinglog.de (nice statistics) but there are others. Suunto dive computers come with a good dive logger too, and a dive planner. You might also enjoy keeping a diving diary on paper. No. Not a log. A full diary. The resulting review of dives is relaxing and usefull.

Not insane at all. I've been diving for over 50 years and my most intense dives began when I was about 50 (16 years ago). As long as you are in decent health, don't let "age" deter you!

I had support buying some scuba gear (drysuit and an awesome bp/w) from an organization here in Canada that supports ill and injured veterans. I'd been using an old wing and harness system that didn't meet my needs but was good enough and couldn't afford a drysuit but they were able to help me out. I'm not sure if there is something similar for US veterans but if there is you should take advantage. Just be sure to try scuba out first!

I find it's a great sport for my anxiety.

I got certified when I was 55. I say go for it! Scuba for me is almost an obsession. My wife would argue that point and say it is an obsession for me.

I have been on trips where some people were in their 70's and diving. It is an interesting mix, everything from 20's to 70's and for the most part the sport gives us all something to talk about.

Go for it! Don't worry about the swimming -- my daughter had to teach me to swim ( I could do a dog-paddle, that's all) before I could get certified. I think I set a store record for the student who took the longest time to complete the required laps. What's important is to feel comfortable in the water -- and I am much more comfortable under than on the water! Go figure... You do need to have strong legs, so I work out a lot.

I am in ok physical health I passed my first Stress Test last year, my issues are mental with the PTSD and Depression but I am much better, I worry about my medication being an issue I take Abilify 5mg 2x a day (Currently am off Abilify to see if it effects my sugar)and as needed Clonazepam 1mg up to 3 times a day if needed, and to lower stomach acid I take Protonix 40mg 2x a day. I am out of shape from sedentary lifestyle but started walking 2 miles+ a day with my dog also started playing Pickleball 2 times a week. I am trying to eat healthier but is hard as I do not like to cook and eat out 90% of the time. I am borderline Diabetic and borderline High Blood Pressure but do not take any medication for either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom