Console computer vs Wrist watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Disco King

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have used deco console for years. It got water in during refresher yesterday, now I will have to get a new one. I dive infrequently would like to buy inexpensive one rather than rental. What are things to consider when buying a computer? Thoughts on console vs. wrist watch? (Would it be better to keep both computer and pressure gauage at the same place, console? Pespective on servicing, battery change? )Following models look good in terms of price and review for basice use. Has anyone used them? Will much appreciate your help!

Console Comouter
Aqua Lung i300 Computer Console

Genesis "ReSource Pro" In-Line Computer Console with Compass

Genesis React Pro Dive Computer Console, CG3909

Wrist watch + Console Ressure Gauge
Mares Puck Pro + Genesis 2 Gauge Compact console, Imperial

I don't know what you mean about "deco" console but I'll assume it's a regular console and you are not doing decompression diving. If you are then my advice may not apply, I'm a recreational single tank diver only.

Of course the following is my opinion only based on what I've read and how I've dived (300+ dives over 20+ years).

I wouldn't even consider a gauge console- it's bulky, adds weight to your kit which is a factor when transporting especially on a plane and it's not nearly as convenient to look at compared to a wrist console. Think about it for a minute if you never had a wrist computer that gives you all the same information as your gauges. How many times during a dive do you reach for the gauge, bring it up so you can read it, then drop it back down- compare that to simply a flick of your wrist. It also creates more drag and needs to be clipped off or on a retractor so you're talking more weight and more gear.

My wrist console is air integrated (receives tank pressure data from a transmitter mounted on the first stage) so a quick glance at my wrist gives me tank pressure, depth, N02 levels on a bar graph as well as 02 levels (if diving Nitrox) and even better gives a large numeric display of how much dive time remains based on the most limiting factor.

You just can't beat it for convenience.

That much being said, after having a few issues over the years with my wrist computer (mainly an occasional flood due to the battery O-ring not sealing properly) I now carry an identical additional computer (in a pocket on a retractor) as well as a single mini SPG that is out of the way to the lower left of my BCD.

I dive with an Oceanic and the battery change can be done in under 5 minutes with a special tool. With practice it's very easy to do.

I dive a console and have for my 20+ years of diving. Mine is a Sherwood Wisdom computer and it is also air integrated so just one thing to look at for all my information. It takes me all of 3 seconds to check it and 4 seconds if I am taking my time. It is impossible to measure any drag caused by the console hose so that's really not an issue.

I have nothing against having a wrist computer. May get one myself some day but my Wisdom won't break or give out. The only thing I will say is that I have been on several trips where the transmitter has given problems with the wrist computer and they end up using my spare Wisdom for the rest of the trip.

But whatever you buy, make sure you can replace the batteries. I suspect many computers offer that feature by now.

I wouldn't even consider a gauge console- it's bulky, adds weight to your kit which is a factor when transporting especially on a plane and it's not nearly as convenient to look at compared to a wrist console. Think about it for a minute if you never had a wrist computer that gives you all the same information as your gauges.

You just can't beat it for convenience.

Norrm, how old are you? I'm guessing you're young enough to not have presbyopia. Some day, sooner than you wish, you will be shopping for some reading glasses. Bigger displays are more readily available on consoles than wrist computers. Even a typical puck-size computer has numbers larger than my Geo2 watch.

Yes, you can wear a puck on your wrist, but you begin to give up the convenience and streamline feeling.

Don't get me wrong, I use a wrist watch computer, but I my arms are getting a little short. Soon I'll have to get a bifocal mask or switch to a larger console.

:)

Cheers!

Norrm, how old are you? I'm guessing you're young enough to not have presbyopia. Some day, sooner than you wish, you will be shopping for some reading glasses. Bigger displays are more readily available on consoles than wrist computers.

Yes, you can wear a puck on your wrist, but you begin to give up the convenience and streamline feeling.

@gr8jab

I'm 55 and although I am experiencing a relatively mild form of presbyopia, because I'm myopic with astigmatism in my right eye and hyperopic with astigmatism in my left eye, the "natural monovision" allows me to see at all distances reasonably well and most nearpoint tasks without correction, and although I do have progressive multifocals I typically only use them for driving and tv, rarely for nearpoint work and I have no issue seeing my gauges although I have tried a toric contact lens in my left eye to improve the distance vision because I occasionally miss some good sights (especially further away) but found it more trouble than it was worth- only mild improvement in visual acuity and the lens was not all that comfortable and I tried a few brands.

The wrist mounted air integrated computer I use has a large, relatively spartan display and the numbers are really easy to see even for divers with nearpoint vision of 20/40 or even somewhat less.

It's interesting that you say you feel less streamlined with a wrist computer than a console, I feel exactly opposite.

Here's a picture of the VT Pro computer.

200408gr_crunch_vtpro_07.jpg

@gr8jab

The wrist mounted air integrated computer I use has a large, relatively spartan display and the numbers are really easy to see even for divers with nearpoint vision of 20/40 or even somewhat less.

It's interesting that you say you feel less streamlined with a wrist computer than a console, I feel exactly opposite.

Interesting to hear about your eyesight. Is your natural condition (astigmatism not withstanding) similar to the intentional post-cataract surgery situation, where they make one eye's lens for distance, and one for near?

I think I was unclear about the 'streamlined' comment. Let me elaborate:

I dove with a 3-gauge console for several years (puck computer, SPG, and compass). I did find it cumbersome and heavy. The QD also made it seem stiff and stubborn, like a water hose that won't flop over the way you want when pressurized. Using the compass correctly was difficult. Downloading dives was near impossible, since the IR port was covered up. I've switched to a miflex with a lone SPG, and it is much easier. Seems we probably agree on this one.

I bought a Geo2 wrist computer, which is a little larger than a normal digital watch (G-shock size-ish). I wear it as a watch while on scuba trips. The screen is OK, and I can read it with uncorrected eyes for now. I have to hold it away from my face a little. Soon (few years) it will be unreadable, and I will have to get bifocals or a bigger computer. When that day comes, I will have to rethink things.

A bigger computer, like a puck, on my wrist feels clunky and odd, when compared to my smallish Geo2. Maybe streamline was poor word choice. My comment (above post) was specifically comparing a low-profile small wrist computer watch to a larger screened puck wrist computer. Hope that clarifies what I meant. The few times I've tried a puck on my wrist (maybe similar to your VT Pro's size) I didn't like it.

Adding to the mix, I can hold a console considerably further from my eyes than a watch. Even if wearing the watch on the inside of the wrist, to keep it generally perpendicular to my line of sight I have to bend my arm somewhat. A console can be held at fingertips (especially if 'ergonomically' shaped). That's probably eight inches further, and likely the sweet spot for me (bigger numbers at better focal length).

Right now, my order of preference is:

1. Low-profile wrist computer/watch
2. Low profile console with SPG and computer
3. Wrist puck

In a few years, I'm guessing a change to:

1. Low profile console with SPG and computer
2. Low profile wrist computer/watch and bifocal lenses
3. Wrist puck

Nos 1 and 2 are somewhat interchangeable, depending on cost, computer condition, and new technology. If I'm due for a new computer anyway, will probably switch to a console. If my Geo2 still going strong, will probably get bifocal lens added to my mask.

@Disco King - I hope you find the discussion helpful. Guess you have to consider both Norrm and my situations and then see what might apply to you. Cheers.

Choice of wrist vs. console is personal. I dive an AI wrist primary and a wrist backup with a SPG.

The Genesis React Pro console is available at a very good price. A two button computer running DSAT deco algorithm with a SPG for $260. I would favor this over the Aqua Lung or Mares choices, if for no other reason, the deco algorithm.

I have never used any of the computers you have listed, but I have used both console and wrist exclusively in the past and now have both. I prefer the wrist computer because, as has been stated previously, it is much easier to look at and see all the information I need at a glance. Mine is air integrated so gives me every bit of info pertaining to the dive but you said you wanted a cheap option so that may not be the way you want to go. I have the console computer as a backup. Both are the same brand running the same algorithm so if my wrist computer should happen to conk out on a dive, I can continue without missing a beat or having to call the dive. I have my console artached to a retractor so it stays right up against me body and I never even know it's there unless I just want or need to look at it. I also have a SPG on the console but, again, for backup.

As for being able to see it, my wrist computer has a fairly large display. But I would need corrective lenses to read the computer regardless of the display size. Even my distance vision is getting fuzzy.

Is your natural condition (astigmatism not withstanding) similar to the intentional post-cataract surgery situation, where they make one eye's lens for distance, and one for near?

Yes, although I could use a bit more distance correction in my left eye and the blur due to the astigmatism is somewhat annoying. Also if a monovision technique is used, typically the dominant eye is corrected for distance following cataract surgery (and LASIK) and in my case it's opposite.

Using the compass correctly was difficult.

Since I don't have a console I use a compass mounted on a slate which I keep inside a BCD pocket on a retractor.

Downloading dives was near impossible, since the IR port was covered up.

I swapped out the standard boot with wrist straps and buckle for a DSS Bungee boot. Both the DSS and the original boot allow for insertion of the download cable, however only the original boot allows for a battery change (the bungee boot must be removed to get to the battery compartment and that can sometimes be difficult especially if it's on the fly between dives).

I've switched to a miflex with a lone SPG, and it is much easier. Seems we probably agree on this one.

My mini spg is on an extra thin HP hose, don't know what it's called.

Soon (few years) it will be unreadable, and I will have to get bifocals or a bigger computer. When that day comes, I will have to rethink things.

You could wear a contact lens with a reading correction in your nondominant eye, or perhaps attach a reading "wafer" lens to the inside lower portion of the mask on the side of your nondominant eye, or maybe those masks with built in "heads up" digital displays will be more perfected and affordable by then?

My comment (above post) was specifically comparing a low-profile small wrist computer watch to a larger screened puck wrist computer. Hope that clarifies what I meant.

I get what you meant now. Yes a wrist mounted full size dive computer is a bit large and clunky but it's gotta go somewhere! I don't even notice it anymore and sometimes I'll roll it around to the inside of my forearm that seems to make it less noticeable and it's more protected.

Adding to the mix, I can hold a console considerably further from my eyes than a watch.

That's something I guess. You could get the same effect if you used an air integrated computer mounted in a retractor boot but it's not too difficult to lose a dive computer that way. I'll never use a retractor for anything that doesn't live primarily inside a pocket or for something that has a second attachment point.

Mine is air integrated so gives me every bit of info pertaining to the dive but you said you wanted a cheap option so that may not be the way you want to go.

There are good cheap computers available if you can find them. The VT Pro including transmitter can be found for between $200-300 and they are once again being supported by the company who purchased Oceanic so you aren't stuck with a computer that goes DOA.

But I would need corrective lenses to read the computer regardless of the display size. Even my distance vision is getting fuzzy.

Practice squinting. Seriously there's more than one way to squint. Using more or less of your eyebrow/forehead muscles as well as your cheek. Try it while you read a few posts and you'll probably find that you can see much more clearly if you get it right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom