Console computer vs Wrist watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are good cheap computers available if you can find them. The VT Pro including transmitter can be found for between $200-300 and they are once again being supported by the company who purchased Oceanic so you aren't stuck with a computer that goes DOA.
"If you can find them" being the key phrase here. Out of curiosity I Googled the VT Pro and every listing showed as no longer available. Eventually he might be able to find one, but I got the impression he is needing a DC rather soon. And I'm sure he could quickly find a good used AI wrist computer with transmitter for quite a bit less than a new set if he wants to go that route.

"If you can find them" being the key phrase here. Out of curiosity I Googled the VT Pro and every listing showed as no longer available.

Yes if he can't wait long, that's certainly an issue. Several of the recent VT Pro listings on Ebay are no longer available because they've been purchased by me.. lol. Including one that ended 2 days ago for about $200 including transmitter.

There are more things that would be small and close that you should be able to see than just your computer. So, to me, "get a bigger computer" is not the answer. Get suitable lenses in your mask is the answer. Then you can use whatever computer you want, plus read your SPG, read your buddy's SPG if they need to show it to you, read everything on your camera/GoPro, actually see the nudibranch, etc.. I've had 100% solid results from using Hydro-Tac stick-on reader lenses ($15 at Wal-mart), but now I use masks with gauge reader lenses built in (because they fit my face better than the mask I was using before, with stick-on lenses).

I strongly prefer a wrist computer and wireless AI. I have no High Pressure hose coming off any of my 1st stage regs.

But, I'm starting to feel like, if I DID put an actual SPG (on a HP hose) on my 1st stage, I might as well just go with a console unit and dispense with a wrist computer altogether. I like having my tank pressure and NDL (and depth and time) all displayed in one place. Having to check depth and NDL in one place and then check tank pressure in another seems less safe. Too easy to check one and not the other. Less efficient if you always check both. If I am using a physical SPG, then having my computer be in a console along with it forces me to at least put ALL the numbers in front of my eyes any time I check ANY of the numbers. Whether I pause to comprehend them all is a different subject. :)

I guess I'm saying, you can't really go wrong, either way. But, of the 3 options (Console, Wrist w/wireless AI, SPG+wrist computer), the only one I personally would rule out is SPG+wrist computer. Some people will choose SPG as backup plus wrist computer with wireless AI. But, FOR ME, that scenario means the SPG is adding multiple extra failure points for no real benefit, so (to ME) it is the worst of all options.

There are more things that would be small and close that you should be able to see than just your computer. So, to me, "get a bigger computer" is not the answer. Get suitable lenses in your mask is the answer. Then you can use whatever computer you want, plus read your SPG, read your buddy's SPG if they need to show it to you, read everything on your camera/GoPro, actually see the nudibranch, etc.. I've had 100% solid results from using Hydro-Tac stick-on reader lenses ($15 at Wal-mart), but now I use masks with gauge reader lenses built in (because they fit my face better than the mask I was using before, with stick-on lenses).

This.

However, while I have Hydro-Tacs in my sunglasses, for masks I use the Magni-View product. It's more expensive but is glass and much, much better optically. It uses a UV sensitive glue and once installed it will never come off by accident, scratch, discolor, or interfere with really scrubbing or buffing the inside of the mask. I think it is light years better for diving.

Personally, I prefer a basic brass & glass SPG and non-AI computer on my wrist. I find I'm much more constantly aware of my depth and dive time with a computer on my wrist and it's easier to glance at it if my hands are full with camera gear. But, consoles are a perfectly reasonable choice if that is what you prefer.

I have 3 AI wrist computers for the family, have used them often, and have nothing against them -- but still have brass & glass SPGs for every one of them. It's a painless redundancy that also lets me check cylinder pressures without having to have my dive computer with me (or go find my kids and make them stand next to the cylinder).

"If you can find them" being the key phrase here. Out of curiosity I Googled the VT Pro and every listing showed as no longer available. Eventually he might be able to find one, but I got the impression he is needing a DC rather soon. And I'm sure he could quickly find a good used AI wrist computer with transmitter for quite a bit less than a new set if he wants to go that route.
You are right. Was not able to find it either. Leaving for my trip in a week. There are pros and cons for console computer vs. wrist watch, ended up making rush decision, ordered Mares Puck pro + spg. Looking forward to checking out difference as I have had an old big console computer for last 20 years.

Friend of mine (frequent vacation diver) just got rid of his old ProPlus console and went to a Perdix AI and a SPG. His old computer finally died. He loves it a and said the difference was amazing. Said he wished he had done it sooner.

You are right. Was not able to find it either. Leaving for my trip in a week. There are pros and cons for console computer vs. wrist watch, ended up making rush decision, ordered Mares Puck pro + spg. Looking forward to checking out difference as I have had an old big console computer for last 20 years.
That's certainly a good, inexpensive computer. I've never used one myself but I've heard and read good things about them. Hope you have a great time on your trip.

Friend of mine (frequent vacation diver) just got rid of his old ProPlus console and went to a Perdix AI and a SPG. His old computer finally died. He loves it a and said the difference was amazing. Said he wished he had done it sooner.

I think we should start betting on when a Shearwater endorsement will show up on any Computer thread.

I have a Geo 2 wrist computer and a Pro Plus 3 console as backup. I find myself using the wrist computer almost exclusively for computer functions because I find it to be more convenient.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom