Console Mount vs Wrist Mount Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I first started diving I used a console (didn't know any better). When I started to get into technical diving, reading materials and lots of research I ditched the console for a wrist computer. Much more streamlined, quicker to glance at and if you dive often you should have a pretty good idea of your air consumption for different dive profiles where you're only checking that spg once every 7-10 minutes.

Another added benifit is if you are doing your safety stops correctly you should be in a horizontal position where your arms can be positioned out in front of you for easy view of your wrist computer.

I use a wrist computer (Cochran Commander) and find that I like it better on my right arm so I can continue to watch it as I dump my BC with the left hand overhead.

Usually, when I decide to come up I pretty much know how much air I have in my tank (that's what usually tells me it's time to head up). So watching my tank pressure isn't much of an issue for me by this point in the dive. An AI computer might be handy, but I just like the simplicity of the SPG.

My console has a depth gauge, my computer reads a depth, and my wrist watch also has a depth gauge - so I have that base covered.

As the others have said, I find it easier and quicker to spot check my wrist computer than having to reach down for my console on the retractor. But that's just me (and some others).

If you like what you have, then you have done right.

Good question. Let me share my experiences. I have dived with an air intergrated wrist mount (Uwetec) for over 10 years. I liked it. Now I use either a Suunto D9 or Uwetec SOL. As was going thru Asst Inst certification course, I added a console SPG and depth gauge on a retractible "to look like the students" while i wore the SOL on the wrist. 1st time with SPG in over 10 years. Just dove with this set up this past weekend (5 dives) and frankly i now prefer the console set up. It is streamlined and had a comfortable feel. As my divin these days seem to be in 45-80 feet the airless is "overkill" and the the SOL is a real brick on my wrist (like strapping a TV monitor to my wrist).

I use a Suunto cobra console, it's compact and has everything in one place. It is a small package including the compass. I used to have a wrist compass and depth gauge, I don't miss them at all.

I love the brick comments. If I take the brick, break it in half and put it on each wrist it's better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom