Contact lenses and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Something to consider:

I feel that a diver should be able to function fairly normally without a mask in an emergency. You should be comfortable removing your mask underwater and being led around by your buddy. Good practice for that day when you get kicked in the face and your mask drops 3,000 feet below you. Some of us routinely carry a spare mask.

That being said, wearing contact lenses puts you at a great disadvantage if you lose your mask because you're going to want to keep your eyes closed. That's a big disadvantage to both you and your poor buddy who has to deal with you.

So I recommend a prescription mask and a backup prescription mask. In the rare case that I lose both of my prescription masks on a trip, I bring my contact lenses and would then buy a regular mask at my destination.

Using prescription masks is not without its disadvantages. You'll pay $80-$130 extra for the Rx, more if you need bifocals (like me).

Just my 2 cents.

I've been wearing contacts for 33 years - only diving with them for 6 - but never had a problem. Previous to taking up diving, I would snorkel and swim (without a mask) with the contacts in - no problem. I'd even partially open my eyes under water, and never lost a lens. The only I figure out not to do? Going headfirst off a diving board ... tends to roll your contacts up under your eyelids! :shocked2:

And yes, carry extra contacts and some saline with you - just in case!

I dive with contacts and have had no problems. I can't stand wearing contacts so I only wear them when diving, really helps me see everything! However, I have a back up prescription mask.

bnc, what kind of contacts do you wear -- some kind of soft lenses? You might want to ask your doctor about daily disposables for diving use. I normally use the 2-week Acuvue 2's, but I do have daily disposables for diving use so that I don't have to worry about contamination risks. I have had my mask dislodged and flooded, but the contacts stayed in place. I'm less worried about losing the cheap daily lenses than a prescription mask.

I agree with Mermaid - daily disposables are the way to go. I used regular soft lenses for about 14 years without an issue, then daily disposables only for diving for 3 more years. I lost two of the daily disposables on the surface after getting splashed when I took my mask off but that was no big deal - they were S$1 each.

BTW, I was VERY nearsighted before lasiks and for the last year of diving before that, I only used one contact at a time on dive trips. Macro stuff an inch away looks cool.

I dive with contacts as well... when I mentioned this to my eye-doc, he frowned and said, "Lots of bugs *can* get into the lens and find a happy breading ground..."

Now, I've never had a problem... but I kinda' like my eyes (I've gotten used to them over the years...) and so I followed his recommendation and bought a bunch of "one day" lenses. He said the risk is not only open water... but pools as well.

... anyway... they make handy 'back up lenses' to keep around in any case.

I was wearing a pair that were to be thrown away later that day, so I decided to do a little experiment.

I was wondering if they would stay on if I opened my eyes under water. I opened my eyes and before I could blink, they were both gone.

I've never had a problem otherwise. I, too, make sure to have a spare pair with solution when I dive.

For most people, contact lenses will provide better vision than a prescription mask for diving. This is especially true when the two mask lenses are of different prescriptions (induced prismatic effect when looking off axis - PM me if you want technical explanation).

I recommend contact lenses for diving over prescription masks for my patients. This applies even if they are not successful with contact lenses for work - many people who are previously unsuccessful with full time wear of contact lenses can wear contact lenses part time for water sports.

I hope you enjoy the Barrier Reef!!

Something to consider:

I feel that a diver should be able to function fairly normally without a mask in an emergency. You should be comfortable removing your mask underwater and being led around by your buddy. Good practice for that day when you get kicked in the face and your mask drops 3,000 feet below you. Some of us routinely carry a spare mask.

That being said, wearing contact lenses puts you at a great disadvantage if you lose your mask because you're going to want to keep your eyes closed. That's a big disadvantage to both you and your poor buddy who has to deal with you.

So I recommend a prescription mask and a backup prescription mask. In the rare case that I lose both of my prescription masks on a trip, I bring my contact lenses and would then buy a regular mask at my destination.

Using prescription masks is not without its disadvantages. You'll pay $80-$130 extra for the Rx, more if you need bifocals (like me).

Just my 2 cents.

In over 4200 dives I have never lost my mask, but if I was worried, I would put a lanyard on my strap and attach it to the upper part of my BCD!

Next, in over 1200 dives with a contact lens in place I have lost one at the ladder! I have removed and opened my eyes underwater a number of times and have not lost my contact!

Diving is about be comfortable, so do what it takes!

You may notice that you'll be able to see quite well underwater without your lenses. My own script is 3.75 and 5.75, and when I dive without lenses I can actually see quite well. This could be due to the fact that everything is magnified a bit underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom