contacts vs prescription goggles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear contacts while diving. I had a problem on a recent trip during decent on the great barrier reef, one of the lenses started to became dislodged. I couldn't get it back in so flooded my mask to get rid of it. No real drama but I 'saw' some amazing creatures on that side - luckily I didn't signal my buddy to show him the manta I thought I saw - it was a parrot fish. My lenses are daily disposables so was
easily sorted before the next dive

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I wear Accuvue II disposable contacts and have for nearly 20 years. I got them primarily for water sports but after putting them on I never again went back to glasses.

I've never lost a single one after a few hundred dives but now I have jinxed myself so probably should carry a spare on the boat.

ARDory, I'm in the same boat as you. Without my contacts I cant see 2 feet in front of me (literally). At the end of the day, it comes down to your own personal comfort. I personally have been wearing Acuve Oasys contacts for years so naturally I opted to wear them and haven't had a problem in 400 dives. This includes being kicked in the face a few times! I've even had one of the lenses in my mask frame pop out on me (while teaching a pool session).

For me, having a couple hundred dives, I am comfortable ascending from a recreational dive without needing a mask (because we can squint underwater without loosing our contacts). For technical dives however, I keep a backup mask in my thigh pocket. So if I did loose my mask or it failed, I can switch to it no problem.

For you I recommend a balance between redundancy and comfort. If you are worried about not being able to see underwater, you might consider investing in a very cheap or low profile mask that you can just keep in your BC pocket (or thigh pockets like a tech diver :wink: ). If you wanted to be really really conservative then I guess it could be a prescription mask? Otherwise, what I do, I always keep an extra pair of contacts in my save-a-dive kit or in my gear bag when Im on a boat. I myself would not personally invest in a prescription mask because they are expensive, can scratch and I prefer my contacts LOADS more! :)

Thanks for posting this great thread, feel free to ask more questions!! :D

I also use contacts while diving and have had no problems with them. It was the main reason for changing over from wearing glasses. I've never lost a contact while diving. I've have found that even if you open you eyes under water they will often stay in place.

I switched to contacts purely for easier diving, and since then I'm a convert. Some days I completely forget I'm wearing any - waking up the next day with them in isn't my favourite..!

I'm impaired as well without my contacts (or glasses). Clearing your mask can be a disaster with contacts. That said, I routinely practice but keep my eyes closed. In all other ways, contacts are better to have compared to a prescription mask. You need to be able to see on a boat and underwater. The mask can do that but your range of vision will be better with contacts. You also won't have to walk around with the mask on above water.

I'm impaired as well without my contacts (or glasses). Clearing your mask can be a disaster with contacts. That said, I routinely practice but keep my eyes closed. In all other ways, contacts are better to have compared to a prescription mask. You need to be able to see on a boat and underwater. The mask can do that but your range of vision will be better with contacts. You also won't have to walk around with the mask on above water.

Right. If you use a prescription mask then you will probably need to fumble around to find your glasses once you're back on the boat. Where did I put that dry bag? Oh, it's in the cabin. You need to walk there without your glasses. Or if you left your glasses close enough to your seat that you don't have to go anywhere, your hands are probably still wet, and now you've got saltwater spots on your glasses that dry into a salty film. Reverse the procedure when donning gear in preparation for the next dive. Don't forget to stow those glasses. Glasses on a dive boat are just a PITA.

I have used prescription masks since my first scuba class over 17 years ago. However, I know more divers who wear their contacts than use prescription masks. Both work. Given the low cost of contacts these days, l think fewer people spend the money on prescription masks.
DivemasterDennis

Thanks for all the great tips and advice. I've been wearing contacts since I was 16 and yes, I do even sleep in mine, getting up in the middle of the night blind, is not a fun thing to do, even trying to find my glasses on the night stand can be a struggle. I can just imagine how thick the mask lenses would have to be to get my correct vision. Think I will stick my contacts and get an extra mask and make sure I have extra contacts at all times. I'm sure I will have plenty more questions the closer my class gets and even more once I start.

I'm myopic (around -2 diopters plus some astigmatism) - and, lately, noticeably presbyopic - and I've been using contacts for all kinds of outdoor activities and sports for the last 30 years. I generally use my (progressive) contacts when diving and have on issues with that. OTOH, I have a prescription mask as well as my ordinary mask, and I'm using that when I'm planning on doing a training dive involving mask drills, or if I'm doing an afternoon dive after work.

I generally prefer contacts and the non-prescription mask over the prescription mask. However, I keep an old pair of glasses in my car's glove compartment and keep an extra set of contacts in my save-a-dive box or my first aid kit, just in case

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom