Converse Chucks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, wetsuit boots. I don't know anything about paddle shoes to have an opinion on them. The goal is nothing that can get caught. I had the vent of my Jet Fin snag a piece of rebar going through the locked gate at 130 feet in Vortex Spring. While waiting for my cave instructor to install a gap reel when I was first learning, my fin bumped the gate and I was snagged. My instructor's assistant had to remove my fin to get it unhooked.
So why are Jetfins ok in a cave?

I had a buddy perfectly thread a piece of tube/rod through a d-ring on his harness on the Empress of Ireland, and swam a fairly long distance along it before realizing it. It put a mess in his dive plan...

... Old cave instructors made students tape the loose ends of rubber fin straps ...
Yes, my cavern and basic cave instructor (1988) required us to "reverse" the (rubber) straps of our Jet Fins (so, the loose ends of the strap would be next to the foot) and then duct tape the loose ends.

rx7diver

I had a buddy perfectly thread a piece of tube/rod through a d-ring on his harness on the Empress of Ireland, and swam a fairly long distance along it before realizing it. It put a mess in his dive plan...
I’ve heard this story from the diver himself.

Yes, my cavern and basic cave instructor (1988) required us to "reverse" the (rubber) straps of our Jet Fins (so, the loose ends of the strap would be next to the foot) and then duct tape the loose ends.

rx7diver
I hope no one is using rubber fin straps anymore when spring straps are such an improvement!

I hope no one is using rubber fin straps anymore when spring straps are such an improvement!
The neat thing is, if you don't have either spring straps or bungee straps, the old approach will still work just fine.

Gotta remember, though, to periodically pull the duct tape off, remove the rubber strap from the fin, and check the viability/integrity of the strap and the SS buckle on the fin, before reassembling everything--which is a bit of a pain!

rx7diver

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom