Converting SL4 Xenon > LED?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hard to say matey....

to the eye in real life - the lights all look about the same brightness, just varying sizes of hot spots....
but your eyes will adjust to what makes sense to them...

my opinion from looking at the beamshots its that the R2 and xpg are the same brightness, but the xpg has a broader spread....the p7 is slightly dimmer with a much larger spread...

my opinion from looking at the beamshots its that the R2 and xpg are the same brightness, but the xpg has a broader spread....the p7 is slightly dimmer with a much larger spread...

Thanks for the input. I'll see if I can post a few pictures of my Scout upgrades once I receive them. I also ordered a different reflector and a G2 module, so I'll see how that affects spot size and light color.

Henrik

Thanks for the beam shots.

It looks like the R2 has the tightest beam - is that correct? Or is it just that the other two are that much brighter?

Thanks,

Henrik

I think the R2 does have the tightest beam. Even though the R5 is more lumens with the wider hotspot the R2 has noticably more throw at distance. I compared them off my lanai and the R2 puts a spotlight on a building a few hundred feet away whereas the R5 is less noticable when shined on the same building.

I think the R2 does have the tightest beam. /QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to trying it out myself.

Henrik

Folks - sea-tested the XPG on saturday.....

in practice it stomps on the XRE....

when shoving light under a rock, the spots are the same brightness - one is much larger than the other.

I tried the R2 on UK SL6 torch.

I had this old SL6 that has been lying useless for about 4 years. I switched it on, and there was a yellowish indistinguishable beam, that faded after a few seconds, so the batteries were completely depleted.

I removed the halogen bulb and started playing with the led to figure out how to attach it to torch. Being lazy, I did one mistake: I didn't want to start hacking aluminium pipes, so I spread the R2 spring with my fingers, attached it to the torch while looking directly into the led (hey, the batteries were supposed to be depleted after all).

The light blast kept me blind for quite a long time. Reminded me of a sign in our lab: "Do not stare into Laser with remaining eye" :wink:

Anyway, as I couldn't believe the awesome brightness this el cheapo led can bring, I put my 10W HID and also a UK C8 eLed- both with fresh batteries- for comparison. Both "heavy guns" shied away from the R2...

It's a real "Wow"!!

I dove with 3 Modified SL4s on Monday. 1 with the R2 and c cell 2nd one with R2 and 6cr123 3.7v and the 3rd with a 5 mod 250 L R2. When fully charged the cr123s put out alot more light close to 300 L Then the 5 mode light and then the R2 single mod. I had all 3 on a goodman style handle thats a lot of light. I like the 5 mode its fun to play with. Have fun dive safe:cool2:

Anyone know if this works in Ikelite's PC series of lights? Not sure of the dimensions, switch or connection method in that light. I know it should work in the Halcyon Scout since they use the same Xenon bulb assembly as the Sl4/6.

Curious if anyone knows of other diving lights that this mod is easily applied to as well?

The Ikelite is to different ti doesn't fit. It wil fit The SL4-6,Halcyon scout, Salvo Rat, Photon Tropedo. I have sold modules for these lights. Also it looks like it would fit in a Tektite, XS scuba,Solaris and Tusa dive lights. But I have not tried then.

I just got my frist shippment of the R5 LEDs. WOW they are so much brighter. I took some shots of the R5, R2 and the stock SL4 lights.
1 R2 vs Stock
2 R2 vs R5
3 all 3 lights
4 R5 module
FYI the R2 has over 10 hours of dive time on it and the other 2 have new batteries
I will not be able to dive these tell next weekend.

Attachments

• P1010063 063.JPG
    P1010063 063.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 136
  • P1010065 065.JPG
    P1010065 065.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 151
  • P1010064 064.JPG
    P1010064 064.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 161
  • P1010048 048_edited-1.jpg
    P1010048 048_edited-1.jpg