Convince me to buy the INON UFL-M150 micro fisheye for my S95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gee,

Were you also using another wide angle lens in mabul/Sipadan? You have some wide angle shots there like photos from 1- to 22 of the album. Are these with the ZM80 as well? They look like they were taken with a normal fisheye lens.

My favorite with the minibugeye. Taken with point-n-shoot.
REM5Qjg1NUQ0MUYzNEM5MTNDNDE6YjM0OWQ1MDIwYjc4ZDMwNzkzYzliYzY3M2E1MWIyMDM=

Here's a link to a few more of my pictures taken with the mini-bugeye.

Most were taken with Fix & Canon S95.
Some were taken with Nikon L18 point-n-shoot in an Ikelite Housing.

The other photos from Sipadan/Mabul with wide angle Fix UWL-04. Haha theres no way I could get all those barracudas and jacks in one frame with the insecteye macro lens. :eyebrow:

Gee,

I had to ask. Just in case you managed to find a way to set the lens up to take those schooling jacks and other wide shots. Just wishful thinking on my part.

Below are some shots I have taken with the Micro Fisheye lens. With some observations/comments for everyone's consumption.

This shot of a Rhinopias had to be cropped as the corners were soft. Some of the softness is still visible.
110911 Crystal Blue Anilao2.JPG

This shot of nudi also had to be cropped. Again because of the soft corners that are inherent with this lens.
110911 Crystal Blue Anilao14.JPG

Diver shot with stonefish. This lens was made for these types of shots.
Again notice the soft corners.
110911 Crystal Blue Anilao38.JPG

When I fill the frame with a subject without room for cropping, the soft corners are even more evident.
110911 Crystal Blue Anilao76.JPG

This shot of a mimic octopus and wonderpus in a turf dispute was not cropped. I had to back off a little to get both subject inside the frame.
This is what the corners on this lens looks like without cropping. I did not have time to remove the lens and just shoot with the native lens. I think that would have had better results.
110911 Crystal Blue Anilao78.JPG

Typical shot of a blenny in a pipe. This lens put the subject in its environment better than the usual macro lens.
110829 Dumaguete65.JPG

The following two shots could have been taken with just the native lens set on macro but the environment would not have been as well represented in the image.
Surprisingly, the corners look alright in with the anemone.
110829 Dumaguete49.JPG

110829 Dumaguete29.JPG

So far, seems to me that it is best to leave enough room for cropping the corners when composing with this particular lens. It has predictably soft corners and so the image should be framed accordingly at the time the shutter is tripped.

Yes Im with you on the soft corners ozziworld. This is also evident with the dslr version - ufl zm130. Ive seen some photos taken by Eric Cheng with the 7D and they seem even more pronounced uncropped. By zooming out to the maximum, we capture slightly less background and more of the virtual image. There is less aberration this way. The opposite is true if we pull back the zoom a few clicks. The lens is by no means perfect however it can capture some great macro wa perspectives. Im curious that nemrod hasn't commented. Or perhaps he's not so much into macro? Some cool shots btw ozzi where were they taken. What are you shooting with?

It's absolutely not the same kind of lenses and not at all for the same purpose than one or two Inon 165 or the microfisheye
The first one are for pure macro the second one give you acces to another kind of picture with more creativity but with much more difficulties to use .
With the microfisheye you can focus at less than one cm from the subject , sometimes not easy to do and especially lighting can become a big problem.
Sotness also in the corner is a problem.
I think that first you must train with one Inon 165 , next with two and perhaps later buy the microfisheye .
Here are some pics I did with the microfisheye , the first actually here to Philippinas the second in the mediterranean sea this summer.

Inon micro fish eye Philippines - a set on Flickr

Inon microfisheye - a set on Flickr

(and here my more recent pics to Philippinas
Canon S90 Philippines - a set on Flickr )

girellator, Your pics stand out very nicely and was wondering if you could elaborate about lighting using the micro fisheye lens. Also, are you able to use the 67mm quik adapter and lens caddy with it?

Back
Top Bottom