Coolest thing you've ever found??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by 100days-a-year
A 6" museum quality Megalodon tooth is the St Marys river.

Until I read that, I thought my 1" sea lion canine from Monterey was pretty cool. I had to buy my Megalodon tooth.

Only piece of dive gear I've found is a soft weightbelt with 12lb of soft weights in it. Anyone wanna buy a weightbelt?

Oringally posted by voidware
Well, I expected you to talk about artifacts.

I was talking about anything. I haven't been fortunate enough to find any "old" yet. But the dive knife I have has all kinds of cool growth on the handle I left alone. I only cleaned the blade to prevent deterioration.. so it looks old.. :wink:

Artifacts are scarce here and usually get to stay where found...

We find anchors (chain, rode and all) quite often as well as assorted dive gear. Often lead balls from down riggers and once I found the whole down rigger that had been ripped off a boat. One nice knife on a ledge on a very deep wall...

But the best thing I ever found was something my buddy actually found... I just put my order in...

A long time ago Navy Dave found a nice UK1200 light (Back when they first came out) so on the second dive I told him to get me an Ikelite Super Light ($250 back then)... he was off the boat first and before I could get in the water he was back up sputtering "You ain't gonna believe this!" and holding an Ikelite Super Light...

I sez, "Thanks!"

~Ask and ye shall receive.~

Artifacts around here, particularly in southern NC where there are as many wrecks and not as many divers as up north, are plentiful. We usually find cool stuff just lying around on the sand. Portholes, intact china, various stuff. I am upset if I don't find something neat after every dive.

brandon

On the dive gear acount- Several snorkels, several masks, lots of weights, two or three knives, a dive-watch (prety cool one), a regular watch (water resistant though), fins, probobly some more I can't recall now.

On wierd stuff acount- I had a collection of over 20 beach sandals (the transperant kind, called here "jelly fish sandals"), I had a location right beneath a place where cruise boats used to anchor before passing the border to egypt. this place swarmed with strange stuff- froma celular phone that someone dropped, the huge kitchen pots through all kinds of wierd stuff.

On the artifact acount- A week ago, while free diveing, I found an admirality anchor, probobly 100-300 years old. I found several ancient stone anchors (about 4000-1000 years old) and several iron ancient ones (probobly about 2500-1000 years old), something I suspect as a napolieonic rifle, a (medival?) sword, lots of coins, several "greek fire" (the hand grenade of 2000 years ago) and lots of other stuff I can't recall.

If you people wonder how come I found so much cool stuff- well, the most on the last acount were found just at the beach near my home, while free diving. It's great to live in a country that had about a 100 sunked ships every year for the last 3000 years. I also dived a lot in Eilat, which is a diving tourism atraction, so that explains the first two acounts.

Man i found a spiderman doll once and some golf balls =-)

A couple of years ago I was diving off La Jolla cove, for those who know the area "The Boomers" and found a thong bikini bottom. Op swimwear I think a small. Anyone want to claim it? Actually my wife made me throw it away... ;-} Also the Wenoka Ab knife I still use to this day I found diving in Monterey off Copper House back in '86.

coolest things ever found.....hmmm let's see plenty of bicycles countless number of golf balls, fishing lures, old bottles and of course there was a cigarette vending machine. My bud swore he found a harley but when it reached the surface it was just a schwinn. :) now let's talk about the things we've lost.

Originally posted by diverjeffro
My bud swore he found a harley but when it reached the surface it was just a schwinn.
Hey that reminds me... we actually found the remains of a motorcycle totally covered with marine growth... under the Deception Pass bridge... which was rather surprising as the bridge is 180' above the water... talk about a wild last ride!

I was DMing on the boat Ocean Diver at the Benwood wreck in Key Largo. It was a real nice day and we had about half divers and half snorks. A young couple were on their honeymoon and had come snorkeling with us. When they got back to the boat the man had lost his wedding ring. They were both nearly in tears so I offered to go look for it. Realizing there was no chance I hopped in on my snorkle, picked a random spot, punched down to the bottom at about 40 feet and started swimming around fairly aimlessly. Found it within 20 seconds.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom