Cost for master diver course.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NAUI Master Scuba Diver is a course with a set curriculum - and then usually a bit more added on by the instructor. I usually tailor my a bit to the interests of the client. Costs will vary greatly depending on location, number of dives beyond the minimum if any, boat fees etc... Our NAUI Master Course w/o boat fees starts at $450.

Why would you?

+1 on the "why?" Wouldn't you be better off spending that money on diving and building on your experience? If you have complete everything up to Rescue, I don't get the whole MSD card thing.

But whatever you do, have fun, be safe.

Not all Master Scuba Diver certifications/courses are created equal as stated above.

Deep Water Scuba, Scuba Navigation, Scuba Night Diving, Search and Recovery and Underwater Mapping - NASE Worldwide
NASE's MSD includes academics covering: Dive science, dive physiology, environment, scuba equipment, dive planning including gas consumption and management. Open Water Training includes minimum 8 dives, minimum 240 mins bottom time in: Deep, Navigation, Search & Recovery, Night/Limited Viz, Mapping, and Digital Imaging. I add Wreck Diving requiring use of reels.

This NASE MSD is a pre-requisite to Divemaster. For the same reason as stated in post #10, many go into DM courses to get the knowledge & skills but don't really want to be insured dive leaders yet. NASE has broken out the knowledge and skills so that DM training focuses on leadership and professionalism.

Not all Master Scuba Diver certifications/courses are created equal as stated above.

Deep Water Scuba, Scuba Navigation, Scuba Night Diving, Search and Recovery and Underwater Mapping - NASE Worldwide
NASE's MSD includes academics covering: Dive science, dive physiology, environment, scuba equipment, dive planning including gas consumption and management. Open Water Training includes minimum 8 dives, minimum 240 mins bottom time in: Deep, Navigation, Search & Recovery, Night/Limited Viz, Mapping, and Digital Imaging. I add Wreck Diving requiring use of reels.

This NASE MSD is a pre-requisite to Divemaster. For the same reason as stated in post #10, many go into DM courses to get the knowledge & skills but don't really want to be insured dive leaders yet. NASE has broken out the knowledge and skills so that DM training focuses on leadership and professionalism.

That is essentially the NAUI MSD, or at least how it is provided at my LDS. As a "twist", they also provide a chamber dive to put you to a narc. in a safe environment.

+1 on the "why?" Wouldn't you be better off spending that money on diving and building on your experience? If you have complete everything up to Rescue, I don't get the whole MSD card thing.

It depends on what they want. The SEI master diver course is essentially instructor level knowledge, and more than many new OW instructors have, without the teaching component. Some agencies don't cover what we do in a recreational course until you get into their tech programs.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I would think education through comprehensive instruction would be better than practicing potentially bad habits until they became second nature..... now, the class needs to contain that valuable element, and as we have seen, some may, and some may not....

So i asked some more questions and basically it was explained the course would be more science, and dive physiology which is not offered in the dive master course. The dive master course is more on how to teach and instruct than "technical" information.

That's about the gist of it. And more and more the DM course is on selling stuff as much as anything. Gear people really don't need and training that divers should have already gotten in their OW class is what you're taught to sell.

Or SEI Instructor. :wink:.

Also requires fresh and saltwater dives plus free diving skills.

Hi Jim:

Could you elaborate on the free diving skills? Free diving is very different from snorkeling, as it requires you to descend efficiently to depths that most snorkelers could not achieve. Vasalva fails very quickly, which leaves you to use the Frenzel method of clearing. If you get it quickly then it's a gift from God. Otherwise, like yours truly, it takes a long time and hefty amount of practice to equalize via Frenzel. While most scuba courses will probably list the Frenzel as a method of equalization, I doubt that many actually teach it.

Also the dangers from Shallow Water Black out is present each time you descend. Does your certification agency teach free diving methods that is taught by organizations such as PFI or FII?

As mentioned, after you get Rescue Diver, I suppose you could say PADI MSD costs whatever the 5 specialties costs you. Small point, but don't forget the fee for the MSD card--$40-$50 or so. Some take the specialties and just don't pay for the MSD card. Some figure what the hey, it's cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom