Cost Savings to Cozumel from Houston - Is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow!! this is great to know!!

---------- Post added January 17th, 2015 at 09:34 AM ----------

Double check but I'm pretty sure those prices are one-way, not round trip......
They are...so at least $414. Plus the dates I checked there's no return flight 1-2 weeks later for that price - the cheapest I found was $328. On a Thursday. Weekends are $348-$450 each way.

The United flights are R/T total including taxes and non-stop - not connecting thru Atlanta or anywhere else. MDW is Midway - the other airport in Chicago...that's convenient...lol. But I'm not "adventurous" when it comes to arriving with my dive gear at a dive destination.

Spit morning coffee on my IMac as well as my favorite Tabby cat who was sitting in my lap.
What? :confused: The cute girls in shorts were a large part of SWA attraction then. I knew a farmer's whose GF worked their Lubbock counter until they married and she moved to the farm. I dated one, flew to Dallas for their Xmas party once, met Herb, etc.

I've recently found that flights to Cozumel have been cheaper than flights to Cancun. And that's comparing flights from BOS to CUN with a layover somewhere, not direct flights to Cancun. It's been really weird! Flights to Cancun right now in March are almost $600 (and that's on Spirit airlines) Southwest is over $900. Flights those same dates to CZM are $530, $600 with the best flight times. The dates don't particularly matter as I've seen this happening for multiple time frames. It seems the days of $300 airfare to Cancun are gone, at least for those of us in New England.
How are you two getting this backwards? BOS to CZM one-stop flights in March for a 12-16 night stay are mostly $401-422 RT, on American....
1.jpg

BOS-CUN one-stop flights in March for 12-16 nights are $312-320 RT, American, United, Delta. There are your $300 fares all the way from there...
2.JPG

SWA will fly you to CUN for $175 on March 2, but the return sometime between March 13-19 (what a pain to check flights for one week, 7 open tabs!) will cost at least $235 only on a few flights on March 17&18 = $410 RT minimum, most days much more.

Wow!! this is great to know!!
Why? :confused: Those are one way fares, and the returns are usually higher. RTs are higher than the real airlines.

How are you two getting this backwards?
If I'm one of the "two" - I'm not...

Maybe it's different there but from here Cancun is always substantially cheaper than Cozumel. Did you switch the first two?

Sunday to Sunday looks reasonable - assuming the OP wants to go in March. That's yet to be determined.

I'm out...

I am sorry, but I failed to say that I was going the first two weeks of June. And I swear that the prices that I quoted were accurate as of yesterday. I just checked this morning and the round-trip flights from Houston to Cancun are $516, from Houston to Cozumel are $559, and from Dallas to Cancun are $536. I never really checked into Southwest - I didn't realize that they went to Mexico - duh! Actually, San Antonio is not that much more of a drive in order to save a few bucks over a flight out of Houston. I just checked Southwest out of San Antonio and the direct flight is $434.65.

Direct flights from Houston do take all the adventure out of travel for me (and are most appreciated by my wife) and I suspect that is what we will do. Although we have made the resort reservations already, I reckon that we still have a little time to capture the best cost flight arrangements.

I really do appreciate all the comments and help from everyone who responded. Especially the info on Southwest. Looks like we are in for a real treat when they get their international terminal at Hobby.

Thanks
Charles

---------- Post added January 17th, 2015 at 01:11 PM ----------

By the way, I do remember the early days at Southwest. You would just show up at the counter, pay your $10 at the cash register, and use your cash register receipt as your boarding pass. Once airborne, the attendants would do the 'air strip' into hot pants and serve you a free cocktail. I miss that.

$355 PP to Cozumel out of San Antonio on United in June.

d

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep offering examples to show that SWA is not cheaper. Posted pics. :idk:

The cost benefit of SWA is free bag checking, if you don't mind fighting over seats. Reminds me of a coming Doritos commercial I saw for the Superbowl.

in response to the title "is it worth it" i claim you have your priorities backwards.

i try to cut costs in my normal life so that i do not have to cut costs on my vacations. one or two fewer beers each week goes a long way. my divebuddy (who does our travel arrangements) even considers $ per hour for upgrades. getting there and back is part of the vacation. our last trip was long enough that we sat up front and hobnobbed with the rich and famous.

there was another pair of divers up there that figured out the upgrade to business class was cheaper than the extra luggage fees they would have to pay (at least that was their excuse, i think they were rich, waiting to become famous)

a vacation is something to spend money on, not save money on.

in response to the title "is it worth it" i claim you have your priorities backwards.

i try to cut costs in my normal life so that i do not have to cut costs on my vacations. one or two fewer beers each week goes a long way. my divebuddy (who does our travel arrangements) even considers $ per hour for upgrades. getting there and back is part of the vacation. our last trip was long enough that we sat up front and hobnobbed with the rich and famous.

there was another pair of divers up there that figured out the upgrade to business class was cheaper than the extra luggage fees they would have to pay (at least that was their excuse, i think they were rich, waiting to become famous)

a vacation is something to spend money on, not save money on.

You couldn't have said it better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom