Costa Brava in late September?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

karenpadi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Due to business travel, I have a "free" ticket to Barcelona in late September. I am thinking of going up to the Medas (or Medes) Islands and doing some diving for about a week. As a vacation diver, I need to take a DM on my dives, especially in a strange locale. I have a generous budget seeing as my plane ticket will be paid for. A hotel with a spa would be greatly appreciated. A few questions to the experts:

1. Is Costa Brava safe for a single woman (American 27) to travel alone to for a week? No, I'm not looking for a male roommate.
wink.gif

2. Any dive op recommendations? Must speak English and rent well maintained gear. Nitrox is a plus.
3. Any lodging recommendations?
4. Anywhere else I should go instead?

After some research, it seems that the two dive shop/hotel pairs are El Rei Del Mar/Hotel Panorama and Medaqua/Hotel Les Illes. Is one better that the other? I am looking more for rest and relaxation, not crazy nightlife.

Also, should I plan on renting a car to get around during my surface intervals? Or is the area/public transit easy enough to navigate without one?

Thank you!

It's a few years since I dived the Medes so it might not be expert info...

1. You'll be safe enough

2. I used Unisub. Run by an ex-pat Brit. Their rental gear looked ok, but I always use my own kit so no first hand experience.

3. I was in a caravan on a campsite, so I can't help with hotels. It's a popular tourist destination so there are plenty of hotels to choose from.

4. It's probably the best diving in the Med if you're interested in marine life - it actually has some :wink:

The town is quite compact, you can walk from one end to the other in 30 mins. Buses are cheap and frequent if you want to explore the surrounding area.

Thank you! I just wonder what "safe enough" means . . . based on these replies, maybe I should plan on dressing like a nun or find an initimidating looking "boyfriend"? :)

Maybe you could dress the intimidating-looking boyfriend like a nun? Oughta keep you safe.

If you're not planning on indulging in "crazy nightlife", you should have no problems. I turned my 20 year old daughter loose while we vacationed in Costa Brava and she experienced no untoward behavior at all. Yeah, she was whistled at and politely hit on, but when the guys noticed the cigar smoking nun following her, they didn't push it. You'll be fine.
If you haven't already, check the Padi website for operators. There are quite a few in the area.

Hope this helps

Phil

I was there early October of last year. I used Unisub as well and the boat and the divemaster were good. Not sure I can give a ringing endorsement to the rental gear but I may have just gotten a bad lot since my dive buddy didn't have any problems. The town is small and easily walkable but not much to see so you might want to think about a car if you are thinking about heading up to Figueres or one of the other surrounding landmark towns. There was a restaurant we ate at just outside of Figueres that was phenomenal but of course I can't remember the name. We stayed at the hotel Santa Ana which was really close to the water and had decent rooms and an okay restaurant and no problems with English. No spa but they apparently had a pool across the street, I never went to it because the beach was spectacular. And empty that time of year.

Enjoy.

Mel

Go Unisub you can't be wrong! I've been diving with them several times great staff, great gear, great sites, and the boss is top as regard unerwater biology if you are into it.

For the hotel ask through them too they prolly have a deal with some hotels around.

And yes it's safe even for my 17 y.o. daughter :wink:

As for nitrox I don't know

Thank you for the reassurance! I am really looking forward to my trip!

Hi karenpadi,
I may be of some help here as I have lived and worked In L' Estartit for the last 6 years... I workied with Diving Center La Sirena, who have 4 good size Dive boats, and a camp site... So let me break this down for you...
Hotels, the best hotels in town are the Hotel Panarama, that has swimming pools and jacuzzi's, also a dive center. Ask for Alex Sanchez, and tell him that Natalie reccomended him. They all speak English.
Hotel Flamingo is ok, they do Dive packets with La Sirena, rooms are ok, and the food is spanish and quite nice, bt not Panarama standards. If you go to La Sirena and ask for Hugo (he is in charge) tell him Natalie sent you there and he will give you a good deal (I can promise you that). Les Illes also have a hotel, which is ok, but normally at that time of year full of french divers,and catalan kids who make a lot of noise at night...If you want luxery I would recommend The Hotel Panarama, its right on the sea front, if you have the extra cash to spend go and see Hugo at La Sirena, and he will do you a good deal with the dives if you tell him, your a friend of mine. They go to the medas 4 times a day, you can also do some really nice coastal dives, that many people don't know about, as all go for the islands! You can also take a trip on the snorkel boat with la sirena, (which is what I was in charge of) and see the maeds from a different angle!! Its just as nice as the dives. You will see Eagle Rays off Ferranelles, and you can go and give the statue of the dolphin for good luck.
Now... Men wise, the town itself is pretty safe, at night, be careful, unfortunately there is a large amount of morrocans, I am not at all racist, but having lived there for so long, I have a very good knowledge of the type of people they are there, and they are not to be trusted. At nightime, you will find 'the square' as its called, where there are lots of English bars, Yc's is a favourite and Bill the ownwer is a star, you'll enjoy a couple of drinks in there, and say your a mate of mine, and you'll meet all my friends! Who are all english speaking! Santa Ana street is a small street full of gift shops, but bear in mind the prices are fairly high. Could places to eat out, are Bar Tortuga, Casi Casi which does relly good tapas!! Don Quijote, Near la sirena, and even the cantina on the campsite la sirena... I hope some of this helps, if you have any questions feel free to ask, or msn me.
have a great time, and don't worry, you'll love it..everyone does!

Back
Top Bottom