Costa Cruise Ship partially sunk off the coast of Italy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fox pictures - it shows the nighttime pic with the Concordia still upright.

Seems the Captain realized the ship was mortally wounded and ran it aground. That, at least, saved the passengers, I'm sure.

Luxury Ship Runs Aground Off Italy, 6 Bodies Found | Fox News

EDIT:

crusie8.jpg

Last edited:
1)Man what a tragedy and it's going to end up being over something completely stupid and preventable.

2) Can they salvage the ship and reuse it?

3) Short Carnival stock, can you imagine the lawsuits that are coming over this one from not just the injured but from those who lost a loved one? The negligence of the captain, the captain abandoning his ship, the negligence of the crew that didn't help with the abandoning of the ship? Environmental damage? It's going to be very ugly. Carnival won't be able to sweep this one under the table and hush it up like is too typical with cruise lines and problems that happen on board them.

Frenchwoman Isabelle Mougin, 38, who is five months pregnant, wept as she described her battle to get off the sinking ship with her husband. Interviewed in hospital, she said the captain refused to let them leave the vessel, even though she pleaded that she was a priority case because of her pregnancy.

‘We were stuck. He told us we couldn’t get off. I thought my baby was going to die – I thought we were all going to die. The captain just went, he just left the boat, left us there, I just cannot believe it.

Think it'll be a while before your questions can be answered.

The captains going to jail for sure.

Let's not assume that the crew including the captain handled the emergency badly. I've read a bunch and I believe the crew is responsible for getting most of the passengers 4000+ off the boat safely. One reason for disproportionate crew fatalities may be they were busy helping all passages get off the ship. This could have been handled badly.

I doubt the ship can be salvaged as the concern is it will end up hundreds of feet below sea level.

I'm curious as to how you would even float her... Patching the hull and pumping her dry (mostly) is one thing but with the way it is listing, you've got all those rooms (balconies) as conduits to keep her filled..
Anyone with salvage experience have thoughts on if it's possible to float her and how it might be done?

With 4,200 people to evacuate, a listing ship, and not all life boats available for use, I can imagine people desperate to get off the boat having to wait interpreting it as being neglected. Anything less than immediate debarkation would be interpreted by the passengers as a minute closer to death. So it's really hard to say whether the crew handled it correct or not, time and investigation will tell. I'm sure maritime safety is going to get a thorough review in light of this. It is a miracle they were so shallow when it happened or it could have been worse.

Best picture of the initial damage on the port side, with the rock still stuck in the hull.

cruise7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom