Costa Rica diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In January we stayed at Riu Guanacaste and dove with the on-site Scuba Caribe. A great bunch of guys. We did Punta Gordo and another close-by dive and then did two dives at the Catalinas. That seems to be the place to go. The vis was pretty bad but got better the closer we got to the bottom, it turned to probably 30ft or so. The waves and surge were significant but definitely fun dives. The temp was in the upper 60's.

I've traveled to Costa Rica many times in the last 7 years and as others have said, the diving on the Caribbean side is not very great. Lots of rivers dumping sediment and it rains more nights than most. As far as dive ops go Reef Runners seems to be the main choice. There are 2 other ops in town but one never seems to be open and the other is so busy doing other tour operator activities I'm not sure how professional the dive op is.

If the Caribebean is the side you'd rather be on I would suggest going down to Bocas del Toro in Panama and diving there. You'll have a lot more to choose from as far as types of diving and locales. It's about a 2-3 hour journey and there are multiple tour operators that will take you over from Puerto Viejo and help somewhat with the border crossing. Then come back to the Puerto Viejo/Manzanillo area (If you have a vehicle try somewhere near Punta Uva) for a little R&R.

Oh, and the part about, "Panama is less crowded, has less crime, more friendly and less expensive than Costa Rica." not true. Maybe 10 years ago but the 2 are so close together that the biggest thing you'll notice is being able to use dollars in Panama. Every thing else, especially in Bocas is going to be right on par with Costa Rica.

I e-mailed Reefrunners this weekend, and am still waiting to hear back from them. My dive buddy and I going to be there on May 11th as part of a South American-Panama Canal-Caribbean cruise and am hoping to dive with them. Do you know if they come and pick up at the cruise ships?

I'm not certain but I doubt it. There is probably a tour operator or taxi driver that would come grab you but Puerto Viejo is about an hour south of Puerto Limon, which is where the cruise ships dock on the Caribbean side. At least until the proposed marina goes through in PV. :depressed:

Hi there,

We are heading in to the Costa Rica late December. Do you have any recommendations in Caribbian coast? We would like to have affordable accomodation and diving center over the Christmas week.

caribbean_coast_001.jpg

Thanks in advance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom