Coumputer disappointment & surprise....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DC53

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Passed the OWC, got equipment including an Oceanic Veo 250 computer and went the the quarry for the first time. Store said an SPG but no analog depth gauge should be fine with the $400 computer; dive guy said the way to go, right?

Got suited up in the 7 mm, hood etc., and down we go and bam, the computer will not show depth. Brand new computer this is, just purchased from the local (well known) outlet. So, new diver, no depth gauge, and prudence says no dive. Buddy goes off with local experienced divers, nice dive she says. I do laps around the rack in the water at 5 feet and with lots of annoying crappies wanting food.

They come back 50 minutes later after an exhilarating give according to my buddy.. I give the computer to the experienced guy and he dives it down. 20 feet and it is reading just fine. He even comes up too fast (intentionally) to see if the computer will know it and sure enough it beeps at him. Dive log mode reports his dive accurately including the rapid ascent.

So (it seems) it works but zilch until well down and on your way. How much should a newbie trust in that?

Oceanic Veo 250.

IS this acceptable or not and do I have basis to take it back to the DSS for replacement or return? PS Don't advocate anyone else at my level buying and Oceanic 180 or 250 based on my experience!

Thanks for any feedback.:depressed:

What depth?
according to the book .. you need to go greater than 4 feet to enter NDL dive mode

:edit: 5 ft should have gone into dive mode, what display did it show?

If a simple explanation for what happend can not be found, would take it back, it's new, and Oceanic will cover it .. they do cover their equipment well

Last edited:
My wife has Oceanic Geo 300. It switched to dive mode on depth greater than 5 ft when it is set into auto. I believe you can forcefully activate dive mode.

take it to a pool if you can and check and see if it does ok,,,might save you some time and feel better that it works correctly...My Aeris,,,,doesnt start til > 5 ft

dove to about the 8 foot area, at least 6-7 feet, wrist near bottom. Did this repeatedly and no depth reading. You can set for auto start and it should show H20 until you dive then a depth. It continued to show H20 at around 7-8 feet or so. I surfaced and set it to manual on, and still no depth. Manual says you can't start manual-on after descending more than 4 feet but I tried that setting on the surface. All no go until someone else took it down deeper (after I missed the dive.)

I have the Oceanic and love it. If you took it to 7-8 feet and no depth reading then I would take it back and get another one. Oceanic is great at covering their equipment like D_B said.

Probably just a miss-calibrated pressure sensor.

As was said, take it back.

My diving family of 4 has had mostly Oceanic computer for nearly a decade. On the few occasions needed, Oceanic has come through incredibly well with service

Good diving, Craig

HI all just to give my 2PSI worth. I like to dive with redundancies. I have a dive watch which shows depth, an didital gauge on my consol and a computer. LOL I do tend to beep a lot if I screw my ascent up. But as a beginner this makes me feel more comfotable and I am sure as I get more experianced my gadgets will reduce :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom