County begins plans for Morrison Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda and Mike_s,
Thanks for calling and trying to hook us up to dive. We got the weather report and it said rain on Thursday so we decided to go Wednesday to Vortex Springs.....wow....the clarity in these springs are amazing.

We will be back in May and try to hook up w/ you all again.

Doug

Morrison is a great dive spot and I'm glad to know we in the dive community have advocates working to keep it that way.

I dove Morrison on Saturday before the classes churned up too much silt and the vis was great. On my previous trip to Morrison, the water was copper colored until you got near the cavern:

But this weekend:

I think someone might have made off with the gnome as I only noticed the duck (and I've seen the gnome before) during two dives in the cavern. I hope I just over looked it, as I can't stand it when folks feel the need to remove things that they "discover" while diving:

We are terrible photographers, but you can see what a 10watt HID will do for a pic:

Great pics xiSkiGuy

The little watermelon dude was moved over on a ledge to the left of the goose. He was missing for a few months and reappeared very beat up...

There is a cavern gnome on one of the easternmost ledges as well.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Great pics xiSkiGuy

The little watermelon dude was moved over on a ledge to the left of the goose. He was missing for a few months and reappeared very beat up...

On thursday, the gnome was on the ledge up high on the far side of
the cavern from the entrance...

SeaYoda asked if I saw the watermelon dude... I must have missed it.....
he said it was near the duck/goose

Looking at the goose, he's off to the left and a bit high, maybe 15' away?

SuPrBuGmAn:
Great pics xiSkiGuy

I didn't know that the gnome played musical chairs. :D

PlanoDvr1:
SeaYoda and Mike_s,
Thanks for calling and trying to hook us up to dive. We got the weather report and it said rain on Thursday so we decided to go Wednesday to Vortex Springs.....wow....the clarity in these springs are amazing.

We will be back in May and try to hook up w/ you all again.

Doug
We won't hold it against you that you couldn't wait. When the call of the springs comes, ya just gotta go!

We'll try it again the next time you're in the area.

I just wanted to pop in a reminder here in regards to overhead environments. We all talk about about the Morrison Cavern like its no big deal, but the reality is Morrison has a long history of fatalities. Its deep and its big, and theres no direct ascent to the surface. So just be careful, and seriously consider taking a cavern course. Just imagine being in the back of the cavern with a little light, no buddy, and your reg breaks. Could you make it to the surface?

By no means am I saying you shouldnt dive it, thats up to you. Just be aware of the danger, and dont get complacent or dive anywhere you arnt confident you could get yourself out of in an emergency/

The primary official involved is Walton County Comissioner Scott Brannon. I have spoken with him on a couple of occasions about what is going on and he asked me if I would be interested in being on the committee. I said I would like to if possible. My interests are both personal and scientific. I recently completed my Masters Degree in Soil and Water Science from UF and my graduate research project involved Morrison Spring. I am concerned that the majority of those currently on the committee are aligned with the construction industry. While I believe improvements are long overdue, I don't want to see the area overdeveloped.

Welcome to ScubaBoard aries52,

Please keep us in the loop on any happenings at Morrison and let us know if there is anything that we can do to help keep this spring as one of the best dive sites in FL.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom