Couple questions on a pony bottle for bail out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You moved on that quick! I was going to invite you to meet me at BHB or something and I was going to let you see mine. I posted my pony thread a couple of months ago :). We spent some good time discussing how it was rigged, so post pictures so you can get some good feedback. I know my setup is better because of it.

+1. The hose anyway. Some regs have built in OP besides the 2nd stage. I couldn't tell you which ones but I'll bet a Sherwood is one of those.

Sherwoods have always had downstream valves so I doubt, and have not seen when working on them, any pressure relief mechanism on the first stage. He**, even some of the old upstream valves did not come with any pressure relief on the first, or in the words of Gomer Pyle, "Surprise, surprise, surprise!". Had to pick up an opv valve from Dive Gear Express for my Nemrod Snark II single hose, since I dive it without another second.

Bob
--------------------------
Always use the right tool for the job. A hammer is the right tool for any job. Anything can be used as a hammer.

You moved on that quick! I was going to invite you to meet me at BHB or something and I was going to let you see mine. I posted my pony thread a couple of months ago :). We spent some good time discussing how it was rigged, so post pictures so you can get some good feedback. I know my setup is better because of it.
Well I appreciate the offer! I was hoping to give it a shot next week sometime and figured I'd just go ahead and get the purchase out of the way so I can start figuring out how to get it rigged.

The fact that I want a pony tank isn't questionable. 19 vs. 30 was a mild dilemma but I figure going the more conservative route leaves less room for regrets. Worst comes to worst I can always downgrade, and the shop offers a 30-day trade-in guarantee within similar brand/models.

Have any pictures of the setup? For what it's worth here it is next to a Worthington HP100.

Does anybody use a full size SPG? I understand it's somewhat pointless but I have a like new Mares SPG sitting in a box in my closet. I was using it as a backup for my wireless wrist computer but for local dives if the computer fails I'm aborting anyway. It was moreso for travel but I don't do such a thing haha

Otherwise, $45 for a Highland Scuba Mini Tech gauge.
http://www.amazon.com/Highland-XS-S...1402947525&sr=8-3&keywords=mini+tech+highland

Photo_Jun_16_3_01_57_PM.jpg

Photo_Jun_16_3_02_12_PM.jpg

Last edited:
Does anybody use a full size SPG? I understand it's somewhat pointless but I have a like new Mares SPG sitting in a box in my closet. I was using it as a backup for my wireless wrist computer but for local dives if the computer fails I'm aborting anyway.
If you are slinging the bottle - use the full size SPG but buy a 6 inch long high pressure hose - I prefer this setup and you can change the hose yourself.

19 cu ft pony.jpg

Last edited:
How easy is it to swap the hoses? I placed a bid on a Highland mini gauge. If that falls through I'll probably do the above. Some day I may swap it back to a full size hose for my girlfriend's rig and that's why I'm curious how simple or difficult the process is.

Thanks

Well I guess I'll be the lone wolf, but I back mount my 30. But I also spear so any of the drings for slinging are stringer atch points for me. Same for any other scuba spearos I've gone with, but its not a hard and fast rule or anything.

My wife does the same pony-wise as she gopros and its a cleaner front side for her that way.

Like most, we roll off and drop immediately to the granny line to avoid getting caught in the top current. I'm sure you can do that slung but seems to me to be a recipe for a smack in the jaw, since you need one hand on the spear, the other on your reg/mask, and I've not seen anyone backroll with slingers personally. But, whatever makes you comfortable and fits your mission is what you should do, nay-sayers be damned.

How easy is it to swap the hoses? I placed a bid on a Highland mini gauge. If that falls through I'll probably do the above. Some day I may swap it back to a full size hose for my girlfriend's rig and that's why I'm curious how simple or difficult the process is.

Thanks

If you can handle a wrench and needle-nose plyers you can do this job. The "trick" is there is what looks like a 1/2 inch long small roller pin - small diameter hollow pin - that if you are replacing needs to come out of the high pressure hose after you remove the SPG - if you are lucky it may stay in the SPG. But do not lose that pin - you need it when you put on the SPG or new high pressure hose. That pin - my words - makes the seal tight and will prevent any air leaks - do not lose that pin...
I went to my LDS - they told me how to do it - on a scale of 1 to 10 difficulty this is a 3 - it would be a 1 but you need the wrench and needle-nose plyers (to get that pin out if it does not come out by itself) before you do this relatively easy job.

If you can handle a wrench and needle-nose plyers you can do this job. The "trick" is there is what looks like a 1/2 inch long small roller pin - small diameter hollow pin - that if you are replacing needs to come out of the high pressure hose after you remove the SPG - if you are lucky it may stay in the SPG. But do not lose that pin - you need it when you put on the SPG or new high pressure hose. That pin - my words - makes the seal tight and will prevent any air leaks - do not lose that pin...
I went to my LDS - they told me how to do it - on a scale of 1 to 10 difficulty this is a 3 - it would be a 1 but you need the wrench and needle-nose plyers (to get that pin out if it does not come out by itself) before you do this relatively easy job.

The "pin" of which he speaks has an oring on each end and is called a spool. As I remember its purpose it to calm the spg so readings are steady, not a sealing device really. Not to be confused with a spool of line ie finger spool....

The "pin" of which he speaks has an oring on each end and is called a spool. As I remember its purpose it to calm the spg so readings are steady, not a sealing device really. Not to be confused with a spool of line ie finger spool....

The spool is a sealing devise so the SPG can rotate. They were not necessary or used in the initial SPG's because they could not rotate once mated and sealed to the hose.

If the OP sees the o-rings are old and damaged replace them, and if ok just clean and lube them. Although that's what I would do, just transferring the spool usually works.

Bob
----------------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

As said, it is really simple to replace hoses including the HP. The first stage end has an oring as well. I do not lubricate this end. Hand tighten. Then just slight additional turn with wrench. The other end has the spool with the two tiny orings. I do lightly lubricate these orings. There are three different types of spools and they are replaceable. In fact, they should be replaced each time the set is serviced. I have seen the orings on these spools go bad not infrequently and last time I did routine maintenance on one of my spools it was nearly split in half.

Edit: What Bob said ^^^

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom