Course pricing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ljpm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I'm curious about the various prices I am charged for Padi courses. I recently completed an enriched air course. The on-line portion was $300 and then my dove shop charged me another $300. The online portion seems reasonable considering the information presented, however I feel $300 for a 2 hour class composed mainly of chit-chat followed to be shown how to use an oxygen sensor somewhat pricey. Just wondering what other dive shops charge. I really feel I'm getting ripped off. As an example, my wife and daughter were quoted a price for an advanced course which was to include equipment rental. They ended up providing their own equipment and were informed that the price was going to be the same.

PADI sets the price for the online portion of eLearning classes only.

PADI does not set the price for the practical portion of any of the eLearning classes - that is the shop's decision.

The price you will pay when you sign up for the online portion of the eLearning Enriched Air is $264.00 (plus GST/HST). The course price includes Enriched Air Diver Online (eLearning), certification card processing fee, eRecord, Quizzes, Knowledge Reviews, Exam and Videos. The shop will be given a portion of that fee directly from PADI.

I am flabbergasted to find that you were charged an additional $300 by your shop for the "practical" portion of the eLearning.

Last edited:
The shop sets the price for the course, not PADI.

PADI only provides the materials purchased by the Shop - Manual, Enriched RDP, DVD, etc.

I rarely comment on SB on the actual prices charged by shops when these questions come up. However, in this case I will say it is shockingly high. I am flabbergasted to find that you were charged $300 for the eLearning, plus an additional $300 for the "practical" portion of the eLearning.

I am teaching an Enriched Air class this weekend - traditional classroom style, so they have the Manual, we charge $129 plus GST (including the Certification processing cost).

Does PADI set the price for the online course? Which still requires a practical portion to complete at an LDS, in which the shop decides the final cost for actual certification?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does PADI set the price for the online course? Which still requires a practical portion to complete at an LDS, in which the shop decides the final cost for actual certification?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You quoted while I was deleting and re-doing my post. See above.

That price is so outrageous I would dispute the charges and reuse to pay them on my credit card. An average nitrox course ranges from $100-$200, with the occasional high priced on in the $250 range. I think mine was $175, included two tanks filled with Nitrox and 4 hours of lecture/demonstration. I would actually call PADI and report this shop, I would hate think that PADI would condone charging $300 for elearning and then $300 for the instruction.

In terms of the gear rental price issue, I'm ok with them not lower the price on that. The equipment cost for is "baked into the cake" so to speak with some shops and their OW classes and is an added bonus. I actually prefer this method of payment since it is usually much cheaper than a shop that charges for rental and I don't get the feeling of being nickle and dimed for every thing. I would not fault them for not lower the price because you have your own gear.

That Nitrox price is so bad though, I would never use that shop ever again.

My TDI Nitrox class is 135.00. That's everything. Books, use of the analyzer, cert fee. If one does the on line course that costs right now I think 119.00. Then I charge 35.00 for the practical portion which basically covers the two tanks of nitrox I need to have to analyze, if I don't have any sitting around, plus the O2 used in my deco bottle for calibration of the analyzer. A total of 154.00 if they do the on line.
Then I take the cost of the cert card out of that. Basically I make about 10 bucks on the class when someone does the on line class. I'm ok with that as this usually results in a lot of good will and possible future classes and sales.
It's cheaper for them to come to me for the full class that takes 3-4 hours.

300 for the online is nuts. Then 300 on top? You got hosed both times.

Now AOW is something different. The AOW I offer is not cheap. 425.00 for 6 dives and 8 hours of classroom. Pool sessions to make sure people are ready for the class may also be required and are included in that price. It does not include gear. Students are expected to provide that and rentals can be arranged including the 30 or 40 cu ft stage bottles and 95 cu ft or larger tanks required for the deep dives.

Hi All,

I'm curious about the various prices I am charged for Padi courses. I recently completed an enriched air course. The on-line portion was $300 and then my dove shop charged me another $300. The online portion seems reasonable considering the information presented, however I feel $300 for a 2 hour class composed mainly of chit-chat followed to be shown how to use an oxygen sensor somewhat pricey. Just wondering what other dive shops charge. I really feel I'm getting ripped off. As an example, my wife and daughter were quoted a price for an advanced course which was to include equipment rental. They ended up providing their own equipment and were informed that the price was going to be the same.

Are you SURE the shop / instructor knew that you completed and paid the course on-line? It seems you were double-charged. It could just be a mistake.

---------- Post added November 23rd, 2015 at 06:14 PM ----------

Hi All,

When student uses link to enriched air from our web site there is no charge for the practical.

Last edited:
That price is so outrageous I would dispute the charges and reuse to pay them on my credit card.

A shop or instructor can charge whatever they want for services...that's not illegal. Did the OP agree to receive and subsequently pay for said services? If yes, than there is no disputing the charge.

Report to PADI? Really? So PADI sets market value on instruction now? Good luck with that one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom