Cousteau's documentary of Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, Driftwood. I would appreciate hearing from your friend if he can help us with some hard data.

I still do not believe that JYC filmed here before 1965 (or even 1970), but I am very willing to admit I was mistaken if I could only see some clear evidence of the supposed event. I have heard statements from many people such as "my father was his dive guide" or "I remember it clearly, I just don't remember the exact year", but I have never been able to find a photograph of him in Cozumel in the 1960s, a newspaper article about that supposed 1960s visit, or letter written by someone here on Cozumel at that time that mentions him. A few years back, someone even took the initiative to contact the Cousteau Society regarding this supposed film and they said they had nothing in their archives regarding any filming in Cozumel. I'll have to admit, I did not contact the Cousteau Society myself, but the researcher who did seemed credible to me.

---------- Post added July 8th, 2014 at 10:50 AM ----------

Wow, really?

this really bothers you doesn't it?

If JM just flew in, made a speech, collected his fee (by the way being Jean-Michael Cousteau IS his job, so yes, he gets paid for appearances), and flew out. How come I saw photos of him diving while he was there?

my final to pesos: NOT discrediting any of the people that proceeded him at all, but, it seems to me that the person who was world famous had the ability to spread the word about Cozumel's diving more than people that most people have never heard of. Sure, he may have never come here if it wasn't for them, and probably came here because of them for that matter, but he had the world clout to spread the word. pretty simple...name recognition.

"Word of mouth" is what really put the island 'on the map as a dive destination', which is what the statement should be, not just "on the map". The person who put it "on the map" was the first person to literally draw it on a map.

Sharky60; now YOU are wearing ME out. The underwater photos you saw of JMC were taken when he (quickly) dedicated the submerged bust of his father, as I said before.

I started this thread by asking if there were any serious folks out there who could offer any supporting evidence that might shed some light on the origins of what I believe to be an urban legend. I did not call for a show of hands by those who believe it. I already know how strongly supportive you feel about JYC and JMC, but if you don’t have something serious to offer, kindly refrain from parroting what you read on websites that simply copy each other.

Doesn't this whole thing generate a little irony that they are talking about sinking the Calypso here as part of the legend?

"When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." Free margarita to whoever can nail that quote without Google....

"When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." Free margarita to whoever can nail that quote without Google....

Can I use Bing instead?

It really says something about J.C that just suggesting he was in Cozumel was enough to market Cozumel.

Doesn't this whole thing generate a little irony that they are talking about sinking the Calypso here as part of the legend?

It is from the excellent Film starring John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, and Lee Marvin, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. No Google, Ask, or Bing necessary.

It is from the excellent Film starring John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, and Lee Marvin, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. No Google, Ask, or Bing necessary.

Dang it. I forgot about the Mensa guy. Ok, you earned that Marg!

Dang it. I forgot about the Mensa guy. Ok, you earned that Marg!

Mensa has nothing to do with me being a fan of all three of those stars, Wayne, Stewart and Marvin - though it might have something to do with me remembering the lines. Try to trick me with a line from The Searchers, Three Godfathers, or The War Wagon - go ahead, I dare ya!

Sergio says he first dove with JYC in 1966 or 1967 in Lago del Sol, Nevada de Toluca in Texcaltitlán, Mexico. In 1968 Sergio moved to Cozumel. The next time he dove with JYC was during JYC’s visit to Cancun for the C.M.A.S. General Assembly. Sergio says that assembly was held sometime in the mid-1970s, but the C.M.A.S. archives say the meeting was December 1 through 5, 1980. Sergio says that during that week in Cancun they traveled together from Cancun to Cozumel and shot some models underwater in Cozumel. Regardless of whether it was 1975 or 1980, it wasn't the early 1960s.

Good idea, though, njones259. Thanks for bringing it up.

There is quite likely an official ship's log of all Calypso's travels. It is a general maritime requirement as well as a French Government requirement for all French flagged vessels. Maybe it's collecting dust in Paris somewhere, doubtful anyone would really be that interested.

Accessing the logbook may not prove or disprove that there was a film made in Cozumel in the early 1960s; he came here and filmed at least once in the 1970s/80s without the Calypso. I have done my due diligence over the past few years. I am no longer looking for the 1956/58/60/61/62 documentary, as I don't believe it ever existed. What I am asking is: Is there is someone out there who has a copy of a pre-1963 documentary that JYC shot at Cozumel's Palancar Reef, or a title and air-date of such a documentary that will prove me wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom