Cousteau's documentary of Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Accessing the logbook may not prove or disprove that there was a film made in Cozumel in the early 1960s; he came here and filmed at least once in the 1970s/80s without the Calypso. I have done my due diligence over the past few years. I am no longer looking for the 1956/58/60/61/62 documentary, as I don't believe it ever existed. What I am asking is: Is there is someone out there who has a copy of a pre-1963 documentary that JYC shot at Cozumel's Palancar Reef, or a title and air-date of such a documentary that will prove me wrong.

Urban legends are very persistent (not that this is urban in any way). I agree with your assessment; IF JYC ever visited Coz in the 50s or 60s it would have been BIG news all over Q.Roo. Since there is no (apparently) living witness to such an event I'd be betting that there is no such documentary or visit. Coz was quite a quaint backwater in those days with little to recommend it to the outside world (Cancun was not even a place then) aside from sport fishing. Anything that gave Cozumel a headline was news in the state. Ex: the Cuban refugees.

Last edited:
try and ask Bob Marx. He is still alive and was diving here back in the late 50's

try and ask Bob Marx. He is still alive and was diving here back in the late 50's

I know Uncle Bob, but he has never struck me as what I consider a “reliable source.” As I said before, I am no longer searching for the documentary; I have come to the conclusion it never existed. I am simply offering the opportunity for someone to prove me wrong by providing us a copy of the documentary or its title and air-date.

I would think that if JYC visited Cozumerl early, it would be included in an episode of his 1980s TBS series "Cousteau's Rediscovery of the World." I worked for him and JMC on one of the two hour episodes in that series, but I'm not sure what other regions it covered.

The "Rediscovery of the World" series had segments of Haiti and Cuba (both aired in 1985) but no Cozumel.

I have seen a picture of JYC with some Cozumel divers in the downtown Aqua Safari shop. Bill Horn may be willing to identify the divers and possibly know the year. Freddy Contreras was one of the divers.

If you can send me a PM with the image, I'll show it to Bill today and see what he says. Alternatively, you can send it to me at info@EverythingCozumel.com
Aqua Safari was founded in 1960.

I do not have the photo. I only remember seeing it on the wall at the Aqua Safari shop. Now that I think of it, it might have been at the old Aqua Safari shop that was adjacent to Plaza Las Glorias. Bill Horn is the one to contact. Good luck!

Bill said:

"I have NEVER seen a picture of any of the Cousteau's in front of any of the Aqua Safari facilities over the years...... no."

Bill started working for Dick Tompkins at Aqua Safari in 1977, I believe. He and Dick were very close friends and I believe all the paperwork and photos of the shop went to Bill when he became the new owner. If there was such a photo, I feel sure he would have known about it.

I definitely saw a photo hanging in the shop. Do you know Freddy Contreras? Maybe you could ask him...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom