covering the non-used fiber optic port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info guys. Guess I'm just a luddite when it comes to custom controls :shocked2:

---------- Post added March 5th, 2013 at 07:59 AM ----------

I'm coming from a Nikonos V directly to the e-m5 so there is a very steep learning curve!!

I can sympathize. I went through my personal digital revolution only back in '09. going from a Nikon FE2 to a D300. However, being a bit of a geek I devoured the instruction manual, scoured the 'net for info and read up. It was a steep learning curve, but heck, I had spent a bunch of money on mynew toy and I was definitely going to get my money's worth!

BTW, in additon to the article on Wetpixel, you could read this, this and especially this stuff.

And welcome to the digital world (AKA the dark side). I at least was exceptionally pleased when I could fire up my PC and do my "darkroom" stuff there instead of having to dedicate a suitable room (which I don't have in my house) and a lot of time (which I don't have these days) to mess with chemicals in the dark and get the result I really wanted from my shots. I've never been completely comfortable with what I got out of slide film, I never seemed to be able to nail the exposure properly. The exposure latitude of negative film - and currently, the raw image files - fit my skills a lot better.

Hey, don't knock film :shocked2: I got some really nice photos with my Nikonos. Unfortunately, the industry has made it very hard to get slide film processed. Besides, I won't mind having more than 36 shots per dive :rofl3:

Here's some stuff I shot on film in Micronesia a few decades ago, though.

sbi-13 web.jpgTOKAI STACK web.jpgtn1-2 web.jpgtf1-16 web.jpgts1-30 web.jpggpc-25 web.jpggbh-2 web.jpgFishfeed web.jpgpalau reef web.jpg

Hey, don't knock film :shocked2:

Hey, who's knocking film? :wink: I love film. I shot a half-dozen frames on Tri-X using my FE2 last week, and tomorrow I'm going back to a place I shot on digital the other day to shoot the same subject on film. No matter how I try, I just can't simulate the tone curve and the grain of Tri-X, so I'm still shooting film. Slide film, on the other hand. Slide film and I, we have a sort of a strained relationship. As I said, I never seem to be able to nail the exposure, at least not without extensive bracketing.

But let's face it, digital is more convenient. Post-processing (IOW what we did in the darkroom with film, chemicals and paper) in the comfort of my living room, the only necessary preparations is turning on the PC. Color balance? Who cares? Fix it in post, no reason to worry about daylight vs tungsten balanced film. The cost of an extra exposure is zero, which gives us better opportunities for experimentation. On the other hand, it's very easy to use a shotgun approach to shooting and forget about pre-visualization of the shot.

Now, where did I put my FE2? I have to pack it in the bag with the tripod and my 200mm for tomorrow :coffee:

PS: Nice shots, BTW!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom