Coz ATM Warning-again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, Chief - the math looks great: 12.43 to 12.78 looks very nice, about the same at Wall Street Journal rates quoted today. About 12% better than WF, and that can add up. :thumb: You even got a couple over 13 which seems odd with it being 12.57 just two days prior but currency rates jump at times. You came home too soon.

I think all Credit cards charge a cash advance fee; only Debit or Check cards don't.

Wow! So I guess traveling with a pocket full of pesos and a bunch of dollars is safer than trying to use the ATM?!?! Can we use our Master Card when eating at the various places in town or do we need to bring cash for that too?
These days we bring enough cash for the trip, and any left over pesos from the previous trip. When we stay at Fiesta Americana, they will exchange dollars for pesos at no charge, and have always had great exchange rates. Our dive op will take travelers checks, so that helps, and the hotel is prepaid. I think many of the touristy eateries will take a CC, but some of the little mom & pop places we visit back in the hood are doubtful. I usually have an ATM card as back-up, but considering the recent problems I'm not counting on using it at all. We try to have pesos and dollars both with us when in town and use whatever works out to the better deal.

Interestingly enough, Pancho charged in dollars. And DONT order the margatita's with Hornitos, it adds like $10 per....
Sad to say, Panchos was the one place we used a credit card a few years back and the number was compromised. The waiter took it off to settle the bill and that's when we figured the info was taken. Shortly after returning home we got a call from the CC company that someone was trying to use the number. IF we go to Panchos, we now use cash. About the only places I use the card each trip is for the rental car at the airport, the hotel check-in and when shopping at Los Cinco Soles. At these places it doesn't leave my sight.

Sad to say, Panchos was the one place we used a credit card a few years back and the number was compromised. The waiter took it off to settle the bill and that's when we figured the info was taken. Shortly after returning home we got a call from the CC company that someone was trying to use the number. IF we go to Panchos, we now use cash. About the only places I use the card each trip is for the rental car at the airport, the hotel check-in and when shopping at Los Cinco Soles. At these places it doesn't leave my sight.

At least yours was real theft.... My shellacing was legit. The missus, Alison and I appeared to be the ONLY business, so I guess we had to support the place.

I was in Cozumel in March last year, July this year and just got back from Cabo. I have a BofA ATM account and used my card successfully at Santander Bank ATMs in both places with no fees. Since the card is inserted into the ATM, (versus a swipe kind) I try to make it a rule only to get $$ when the bank is open. That way there is someone there to help if needed. So far it's worked fine.

I also follow the CYA rule: bring dollars, ATM and a credit card ...+ a pin# for the CC if you really get stuck. I did once and, though its expensive in fees, having it saved my keister. I use the credit card mainly with my dive shop - Caballitos del Caribe - people I trust.

Santander in Cozumel is on 15 and 3...kitty corner to the bakery with the sinfully delicious bolas de queso (cheese ball pastries) and jamon y queso empanadas (ham, cheese & jalpeño). mmmmm

I think I read this whole post, but pardon me if I'm repeating info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom