Review ATM report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Wells Fargo advertises that they will deliver MXN Pesos charged to your account without a fee, but that's at a poor rate of 18.77 MXN to the USD at today's rates so I always wait until I am there to withdraw Pesos from a Bank ATM - never an infamous freestanding cash machine, trying to get closer to the current 19.97 current rate quoted on google and avoid that 6% built-in fee as well as the risk and hassle of carrying a large sum of Pesos on the flights. And I swear that I will never again fail to advise my banks that I will be using my cards in Mexico before a trip after losing cards to ATMs in the past, kicking me into backup spending.

I used the HCSB ATM at the corner of the Centro Plaza as it's very convenient to my hotel. Fees may be a little lower at some other bank ATMs, but not enough to encourage me to travel to them. ALWAYS REJECT THE CONVERSION RATE OFFERED, which I do as that's a scam to avoid. I requested the maximum 7,000 Pesos allowed on the machine first from my Wells Fargo account, then with a new Citibank card to do the same from that account. The new CB card has never worked for me in test purchases in my little farm town, but their computer confirmed that I had the PIN right, and their phone agent assured me that it should work fine, so I tried - and it worked. I need to complain to my village grocer about his machine.

First I grabbed the WF card I usually use out of habit, but my credit card didn't work thankfully. I'd hate the cash advance fee that would include. Realizing my error, I then tried the correct cards.

WF: 7,000 MXN cost me $357.45 = 19.58 MXN to USD = 2% net cost including the 80 Pesos charged by the ATM, up from 58. Not bad at all.

CB: 7,000 MXN cost me $368.02 = 19.02 MXN to USD = 4.8% net cost including the 80 Pesos charged by the ATM. Not as good but ok.

Edit: For me as an occasional visitor, it would not be worth getting an account at another bank to get better returns, so there is my report. This morning I got $4.04 reimbursed from WF. I'm not sure why, perhaps I should ask sometime, but I'll take it. So that reduces my WF cost to $353.41 = 19.80 MXN to USD, so hardly any cost.

Wells Fargo advertises that they will deliver MXN Pesos charged to your account without a fee, but that's at a poor rate of 18.77 MXN to the USD at today's rates so I always wait until I am there to withdraw Pesos from a Bank ATM - never an infamous freestanding cash machine, trying to get closer to the current 19.97 current rate quoted on google and avoid that 6% built-in fee as well as the risk and hassle of carrying a large sum of Pesos on the flights. And I swear that I will never again fail to advise my banks that I will be using my cards in Mexico before a trip after losing cards to ATMs in the past, kicking me into backup spending.

I used the HCSB ATM at the corner of the Centro Plaza as it's very convenient to my hotel. Fees may be a little lower at some other bank ATMs, but not enough to encourage me to travel to them. ALWAYS REJECT THE CONVERSION RATE OFFERED, which I do as that's a scam to avoid. I requested the maximum 7,000 Pesos allowed on the machine first from my Wells Fargo account, then with a new Citibank card to do the same from that account. The new CB card has never worked for me in test purchases in my little farm town, but their computer confirmed that I had the PIN right, and their phone agent assured me that it should work fine, so I tried - and it worked. I need to complain to my village grocer about his machine.

First I grabbed the WF card I usually use out of habit, but my credit card didn't work thankfully. I'd hate the cash advance fee that would include. Realizing my error, I then tried the correct cards.

WF: 7,000 MXN cost me $357.45 = 19.58 MXN to USD = 2% net cost including the 80 Pesos charged by the ATM, up from 58. Not bad at all.

CB: 7,000 MXN cost me $368.02 = 19.02 MXN to USD = 4.8% net cost including the 80 Pesos charged by the ATM. Not as good but ok.
Solid advice to almost anyone everywhere. I’d add there’s a few accounts that will refund third party ATM fees to your account, particularly for US based readers.

Solid advice to almost anyone everywhere. I’d add there’s a few accounts that will refund third party ATM fees to your account, particularly for US based readers.
Schwab and also Fidelity (I have been told) refund all ATM fees and in the case of Schwab they set an exchange rate just slightly below FOREX rates. I'll be going by an ATM Sunday or Monday and check the spread.
Currently the Oanda conversation rate is 19.976 MXN to 1 USD and the 'official' rate is 20.02 to 1

Yep, Schwaby reimburses for all ATM fees! No matter the amount.

I just added his Edit: For me as an occasional visitor, it would not be worth getting an account at another bank to get better returns, so there is my report. This morning I got $4.04 reimbursed from WF. I'm not sure why, perhaps I should ask sometime, but I'll take it. So that reduces my WF cost to $353.41 = 19.80 MXN to USD, so hardly any cost.

Good to know for travel:)

My buddy definitely picked the wrong ATM last time ( I just recall a ridiculous rate and fees) but now it sounds like it was more one of those conversion scams that you were talking about.

Got a question that may have to be answered with something of a wild guess, but so be it. For the things you do in Cozumel, whether paying for food, tips, diving, accommodation, everything you use pesos for now, if you were instead to just use U.S. dollars, how much more do you estimate you'd pay for your trip overall? Put another way, roughly how much money (in U.S. dollars) do you estimate you save by going the pesos route?

Trying to get a sense of the savings you get from figuring out and doing all this.

Got a question that may have to be answered with something of a wild guess, but so be it. For the things you do in Cozumel, whether paying for food, tips, diving, accommodation, everything you use pesos for now, if you were instead to just use U.S. dollars, how much more do you estimate you'd pay for your trip overall? Put another way, roughly how much money (in U.S. dollars) do you estimate you save by going the pesos route?

Trying to get a sense of the savings you get from figuring out and doing all this.
I don’t really think about it. Cozumel is cost effective in general.

Diving is booked and paid in USDs as are most hotels altho my hotel is in MXNs. Food and shopping runs 10-30% more paid in USDs. Taxis can be outrageous in USDs. Results vary

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom