Coz...Good snorkeling spot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, my bad-Do Not Feed the Fish! My comment was made as someone who does not know all the local laws, I defer to Cristi and others, consult you local law enforcement for full park rules and regulations, limitations may apply, your results may vary, in the unlikely event arousal last more than fourteen hours consult with your doctor, offer not valid in Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam or anywhere other than the contigous lower 48 states....

I am an avid snorkeler (don't scuba dive). When I stayed in Cozumel in March 2005 (pre-Hurricane Wilma), the best place for shore snorkeling was definitely Dzul-Ha beach club, just a little to the north of the Fiesta Americana. There were big coralheads of lettuce coral that came up to near the surface in about 8-10 ft of water, and lots of fish were present. All the guidebooks and on-line sources mentioned that this was the best place, and they turned out to be true. I haven't been back since, but according to posts on this board and others that I have read, Dzul-Ha, similar to all shallow areas, got hammered pretty hard by the hurricane. Most of the coralheads were toppled over, but I've heard they still provide plenty of habitat for fish and other creatures. I suspect its still the best spot on Cozumel for shore snorkeling, although it will take a long time to become what it once was. Another plus for Dzul-Ha , as someone above mentioned, is that it is a fairly reasonable taxi fare from town. When I was there, there wasn't much beach, just a rock stairway to enter the water for snorkeling. There were shaded lounge chairs and a snack bar for lunches and drinks. I really liked the place and hopefully it's still open. Maybe someone who has been there recently will also reply to this post to give you an in-person update.

Hope this helps.

I spent a day at Dzul Ha last Feburary (post-wilma) and had a greattime. The snorleing wasn't nearly as good a it was the year before, but it was good enough for me on that day, combined with the best fish tacos ever. We were diving with blue angle, and they had a bigger boat that left the dock later than the fast little guys (i think around 10am-ish), and it looked like a combined dive-snorkle trip. Not very many poeple on board, if I recall, and it would seem like an ideal set-up for cruise passengers who want to hit the offshore reefs.

Here are a couple snaps I got at Dzul Ha last Feb. We got there pretty early...

harpua:
Here are a couple snaps I got at Dzul Ha last Feb. We got there pretty early...

What is that fish with the "wings"? That's a pretty cool shot.

Its a Flying Gurnard -Dactyloptena orientalis- Gordon you know that. I got the shot with my first ever underwater camera rig. No flash, no "white balance". You should have seen me flailing the water to get Sher's attention. A very pertty fish. Dzul Ha, Feb 2006.

Sorry forgot to mention, itsl like a "Flying V". Gibson. And all that.

That is a very cool shot of a Flying Gunard! Last time we were in Coz we got to see a whole squadron of them flying through the air. It's amazing how far they can go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom