Coz...Good snorkeling spot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just walked back in the house this am from Coz. Spent the week diving and snorkling with Palegic Ventures. I know you prefer to go from shore but I don't think you will be near as happy as taking a boat trip. We were out the last day with 2 non divers so we all snorkled. We saw a baby hawkbill, an up close eagle ray, a ton and I mean a a ton of Black tips as well as all the usual suspects.

We also had done a trip a couple of days earlier where two of us dove and the two non divers snorkled above us. They could not have been happier. The dive master spoke excellent english (most likely better then mine) and it was great having him spot things out for us and then explain what we saw. Give it a try you won't regret it.

Scram Bulleggs:
Just walked back in the house this am from Coz. Spent the week diving and snorkling with Palegic Ventures. I know you prefer to go from shore but I don't think you will be near as happy as taking a boat trip. We were out the last day with 2 non divers so we all snorkled. We saw a baby hawkbill, an up close eagle ray, a ton and I mean a a ton of Black tips as well as all the usual suspects.

We also had done a trip a couple of days earlier where two of us dove and the two non divers snorkled above us. They could not have been happier. The dive master spoke excellent english (most likely better then mine) and it was great having him spot things out for us and then explain what we saw. Give it a try you won't regret it.

Sigh...being on a boat doesn't bother me BUT it will bother one of my traveling companions. She doesn't dive and she's not a very confident swimmer. So beach snorkeling is the ONLY way that she will get in the water.

But thanks for the trip report. :shakehead

Make sure you check the current, it can be pretty strong. Sher and I went the "wrong" way once, snorkling with the current. Then we turned into it an finned like mad to get back to our exit point. Not smart. We would have been better off entering down-current had drfting back to our exit... I guess thats darn near rule #1 for shore snorkling in Coz.

I got back from Coz on Oct. 14. I walked to town everyday from the Villablanca Hotel (about 2.5 miles south of the ferry pier), and saw folks snorkeling from the beach just about everyday. Not sure what they were looking at, but the area where they were snorkeling is about a 1/4 mile north of the Villablanca Hotel, and just south of the Caribe Blu Hotel. There's a small public beach there with easy access (even a sandbag "walkway" through the rocks to the open water).

Also, a local told me that just north of the Caribe Blu Hotel (near the area of the lighthouse) there is an artesian spring that bubbles up from the ocean floor. He said that the spring is thought to have healing properties.

I plan to check out both areas on my next trip.

rainmaker:
I got back from Coz on Oct. 14. I walked to town everyday from the Villablanca Hotel (about 2.5 miles south of the ferry pier), and saw folks snorkeling from the beach just about everyday. Not sure what they were looking at, but the area where they were snorkeling is about a 1/4 mile north of the Villablanca Hotel, and just south of the Caribe Blu Hotel. There's a small public beach there with easy access (even a sandbag "walkway" through the rocks to the open water).

Also, a local told me that just north of the Caribe Blu Hotel (near the area of the lighthouse) there is an artesian spring that bubbles up from the ocean floor. He said that the spring is thought to have healing properties.

I plan to check out both areas on my next trip.

Awesome advice...thanks! :D

harpua:
Its a Flying Gurnard -Dactyloptena orientalis- Gordon you know that. I got the shot with my first ever underwater camera rig. No flash, no "white balance". You should have seen me flailing the water to get Sher's attention. A very pertty fish. Dzul Ha, Feb 2006.

Very cool. I have been going to Cozumel since 1978 and I have never seen one of those critters.

Back
Top Bottom