Coz in late July & Newbie Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhallday

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all!

I'm headed to Cozumel in late July for a long weekend. I'll be doing my OW cert dives there with a buddy (he's doing his cert as well). The temp and viz in the reservoirs here in Denver were strong motivators to go warmer! The plan is to stay at Hotel Cozumel and use Dive Paradise for the cert dives.

I was last in Coz in Feb '89 - did a bunch of snorkeling at the park but no diving. I'm sure things have changed alot - at least on land.

So, how is Cozumel in late July? Any suggestions or recommendations to maximize the experience and enjoy ourselves?

Also, will it be possible to do an afternoon dive on Day 2 after completing the final 2 open water dives in themorning ? We'll technically be certified, I think...

All input is welcome.
Thanks

I will be in Cozumel myself July 15-22. It should be warm and humid from what I have read.

You should be able to find lots of opportunities to do as much diving as you can handle (just don't overdo it). As long as you get your temporary cert card from the instructor you should be able to dive.

There are lots of good dive ops in Cozumel. If you look through the archives here you can get lots of input from lots of people. Remember that some places give discounts if you dive with them multiple days.
----------------
I don't pretend to be any kind of "expert", but here are some suggestions, and only because you asked. (okay Wendy?)

1) I would suggest that you be very upfront with whoever you dive with. Make sure that they know that you just got certified. No sense trying to be macho. You will have a lot more fun if you dive within your limits.

2) If you get into dives with current, remember that the current usually eases off as you get close to the reef. We did one "freeway dive" whipping along at several knots and the group got strung out. On a partial wall dive, a couple women freaked out hanging over the abyss, and flying at a fast pace. It was much gentler in close to the wall.

3) It is not being wimpy to stay with the guide for your first few dives. They can show you all kinds of critters that you might not see on your own.

4) Revel in your new underwater calling, but don't overindulge while celebrating your certification.

5) Be the best buddy you can be.

6) Clean your mask before every dive. With the incredible things to see in Cozumel, you don't want to miss anything.

7) Look around during your surface intervals, because once you have been diving in Cozumel, the odds are that you will be coming back again; the place is highly addictive.

8) Relax and have FUN!

9) Submit a report afterwards for all of us here to enjoy!

10) Sample the food. Look through the archives to get some ideas of where to eat. Everyone has their own favorites, but some will pop up over and over again in different people's recommendations. Also you can ask the dive op for their recommendations.

Wristshot

The only thing Wristshot forgot to mention is; Take lots of photos. At least top side photos, the underwater photography can wait for a while as you develop your diving abilities.

You are so gonna love Coz!

jhallday:
Hi all!

...So, how is Cozumel in late July? Any suggestions or recommendations to maximize the experience and enjoy ourselves?

Also, will it be possible to do an afternoon dive on Day 2 after completing the final 2 open water dives in themorning ? We'll technically be certified, I think...

All input is welcome.
Thanks

People planning a trip to Cozumel in the summer frequently worry about the heat but we don't find it that oppressive. We try to be in the water in the morning, have lunch and then take a nap during the hottest part of the day. Around 7:30pm, we have a drink at one of the sidewalk cafes on the central square and then walk to one of the many nearby good places to eat. Then we find our way home, get some rest and repeat in the morning. I know it sounds bad but somehow, we manage.<g>

JK
http://www.mxtravel.com/cozumel.html
http://www.mxtravel.com/cozumel/santa_fe.html

jhallday:
Hi all!

I'm headed to Cozumel in late July for a long weekend. I'll be doing my OW cert dives there with a buddy (he's doing his cert as well). The temp and viz in the reservoirs here in Denver were strong motivators to go warmer! The plan is to stay at Hotel Cozumel and use Dive Paradise for the cert dives.

I was last in Coz in Feb '89 - did a bunch of snorkeling at the park but no diving. I'm sure things have changed alot - at least on land.

So, how is Cozumel in late July? Any suggestions or recommendations to maximize the experience and enjoy ourselves?

All input is welcome.
Thanks

Well, you said all input is welcome, so here's mine. If there's a way to get your cert dives done where you are (yeah, I know, cold quarries), my advice is to bite the bullet and do it; you will (IMO) enjoy Cozumel a lot more in the short time you will be there. You will be able to go on much better dives, and you'll be able to concentrate more on looking at the neat stuff rather than focusing on staying alive.

Also, I am in favor of doing one's cert dives under a little more challenging conditions than what would be one's ideal for rec diving. That way, when you go diving in your ideal you will be within the limits of your experience rather than AT the limit.

Anyway, I'm sure you will still love Cozumel, though some things have changed since you were there last. For one, there are traffic lights- 6 of them if I count right. The Scaramouche is gone, replaced by the short-lived Planet Hollywood, now also gone. Morgan's has been replaced by a live music venue. Chankanaab is very built up.

But a lot is still the same. La Choza, Casa Denis, El Capi Navigante, Sonora, and Pancho's will all be as you remember. The "wild side" has a couple of new additions, but is still mostly untouched.

Enjoy your trip!

Cheers,

I agree with ggunn 100% on getting you cert done where you are, before you get to Coz. Not looking for a medal or anything but my wife and I completed our cert in the Atlantic Ocean off the coat of Maine in October (43º water temp and 15' viz) prior to our first dive trip to Grand Cayman. We didn't have to worry about performing skills for an instructor we were not familiar with and IMO we enjoyed our dives much more than we would have.

Lee

ggunn:
Also, I am in favor of doing one's cert dives under a little more challenging conditions than what would be one's ideal for rec diving. That way, when you go diving in your ideal you will be within the limits of your experience rather than AT the limit.

That is some excellent advice. You'll really appreciate Coz a lot more if you undertake the difficult effort to get your cert before heading down there. You'll end up getting a lot more bang for your vacation dollar.

Get those Open Water Certification Dives over and done with BEFORE the vacation. I wanted to do a trip with a group of people in a couple of weeks so I suffered kneeling on the 25 foot deep platform in a freshwater quarry at 47 degrees for 33 minutes. We took off the mask and all of the various other tasks required so that we could dedicate our trip to enjoying the sights under the water. Trust us if at all possible, put on that 7mm wetsuit and hood, and freeze your butt off for a half hour. You'll be glad that you did!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom