Cozumel Airport Security WARNING

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to hear of the travel woes as at CZM airport as of late...
Let me see if I'm understanding this correctly.... You checked your bag. and that bag contained batteries?
Batteries must be in carry-on's. You cannot put Batteries in checked bags since 2008:
TSA: Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices

Batteries can be used by very evil people wanting to do harm to us or hide items that want to do us harm.

A buddy and I had been working in Alexandria Egypt for a month. On the way home my buddy stopped at a gift store about 30 ft from the airport security checkpoint and bought a souvenir spoon for his Mom. We then proceeded through security where they promptly confiscated the spoon. My buddy was upset but got really P.O.ed about 10 minutes later as he watched the guard return the spoon to the shop.
If people get upset enough not to go to Coz this crap will end. Start a boycott Coz month, let the locals know about it and see what happens then. I would bet that things will change.

I agree, but it will never happen because the people in this country have turned into sheep. If they would do the above then they would have already done it when the TSA reaches down their pants, grabs your wives breast, molests your children or makes your grandmother take off her adult diaper causing her to cry and mess herself or making an elderly man get out of his wheelchair, take off his leg brace and try to walk through the X-Ray machine. It is obscene and criminal in my opinion.

All I ever see are the news people interviewing travelers at the airport on the above instances and all I ever hear them say is.. "well if it helps protect us I guess I'm for it". This country is full of scared, sniveling, whimpering sheep that will follow as the government tramples all over our civil rights more and more every day.

ps.. no I am not a tree hugger or survivalist or a member of any other radical group (including the tea party).

That's my two cents.

I agree, but it will never happen because the people in this country have turned into sheep. If they would do the above then they would have already done it when the TSA reaches down their pants, grabs your wives breast, molests your children or makes your grandmother take off her adult diaper causing her to cry and mess herself or making an elderly man get out of his wheelchair, take off his leg brace and try to walk through the X-Ray machine. It is obscene and criminal in my opinion.

All I ever see are the news people interviewing travelers at the airport on the above instances and all I ever hear them say is.. "well if it helps protect us I guess I'm for it". This country is full of scared, sniveling, whimpering sheep that will follow as the government tramples all over our civil rights more and more every day.

ps.. no I am not a tree hugger or survivalist or a member of any other radical group (including the tea party).

That's my two cents.
Maybe you've forgotten, but we had several planes hijacked almost 10 years ago with thousands dead and two iconic buildings (and part of the Pentagon) destroyed as a result. That was from boxcutters, little boxcutters.

The same guys who killed thousands with their boxcutters have no qualms about loading an elderly lady or a baby with explosives in order to bring down a plane, therefore I have no qualms about insisting that elderly ladies and babies be searched like the rest of us. I travel a lot. Getting hijacked would really mess with my travel plans. If the elderly ladies in diapers and babies don't want to be searched, by all means let them stay at home or drive to their destination. Who needs crying babies on a plane anyway?

ALL items are taken as a carry-on and batteries are not in my checked bags.
I put all of my cards, thumb drives, batteries, o-ring lube and other assorted small stuff in these nifty pelican 1050 cases that came with my old 02 analyzers.

Then I put the AA packs of four batteries in these:

I get the nice color coded AA battery cases from a guy that sells batteries of all kinds at the Oshkosh airshow. I work the show every year and he has these cases and good deals on batteries. He works the next isle over from us in the hanger and I'll be there in a couple of weeks so I can post a hyperlink to his store.

I used to use these little zip locks I accosted from work for AA battery transport:

I think the key is that the batteries cannot connect in their case/bag as to cause a connection. YMMV

Last edited:
I put all of my cards, thumb drives, batteries, o-ring lube and other assorted small stuff in these nifty pelican 1050 cases that came with my old 02 analyzers. . . . I think the key is that the batteries cannot connect in their case/bag as to cause a connection. YMMV
And you think all those plastic cases will thwart the Cozumel security from taking the batteries? I believe that's what this thread is about.

I carry about 15 pounds of batteries in my checked bags flying into Cozumel, and I leave them all there.

And you think all those plastic cases will thwart the Cozumel security from taking the batteries? I believe that's what this thread is about.

I asked the OP if the batteries where checked.
Batteries are not allowed in checked bags since 2008. If you did check them previously, god bless.
I think if you tried to carry batteries in your checked bag now, this could lead to confiscation.

Read the "protected short circuit" info below:
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...fo/media/airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

Maybe you've forgotten, but we had several planes hijacked almost 10 years ago with thousands dead and two iconic buildings (and part of the Pentagon) destroyed as a result.

And before that we had Pearl Harbor.

If the elderly ladies in diapers and babies don't want to be searched, by all means let them stay at home or drive to their destination. Who needs crying babies on a plane anyway?

I rest my case.

maybe we all need to find a source of super cheap Chinese 'extra toxic with double lead content' batteries to bring to Mexico.....if they sow the wind, let them reap the whirlwind!

heck, a few years ago, security was upset thinking I'd left batteries IN Cozumel......my dive lights were empty and they weren't satisfied until I showed them baggies with all my 'removed' batteries stowed separately from my lights...leaving batteries INSIDE devices was a big no-no!!! Security wanted proof I wasn't abandoning dead/toxic batteries in Cozumel, so leaving them with your dive op when you leave could back fire on you!

Note to self, forget enviro-friendly rechargables (too expensive to lose), just get cheap disposables and count on losing them to confiscation regardless, and make up the hole in your budget by reducing support to the rest of the Cozumel economy (eat out less, forget souvenirs, reduce/eliminate tipping while there)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom