Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the noon update, 16-Apr:

In Quintana Roo, 279 confirmed cases, 173 tests pending. Of the confirmed cases, 116 in social isolation, 66 hospitalized, 69 recovered, 28 deaths. In Cozumel, the number of confirmed cases increased by one to 9, with 0 deaths officially. Over 3/4 of the total confirmed cases and over 1/2 the deaths are from Cancun. My post above (currently #147) has information about why these numbers may seem low or the percentages unusual.

Several other posters have added information about road closures/openings, schools, traffic and other government updates - thank you! I won't repeat them here.

The one other item that I'll share today is that the federal Minister of Health has stated that he expects the State of Emergency to move to Phase 3 (most severe) within the next few days. While the Cozumel road closures only lasted for about 36 hours, I suspect we will see some further action in that regard, depending on how the government implements Phase 3.

I was speaking to an often on this forum claimed but never substantiated hypothesis that any bad news about Cozumel is intentionally covered up by both the authorities on the island and the moderators of this forum.
Sorry for misunderstanding. I will offer that PR departments everywhere downplay the negative. As for this forum, I think if items are offered objectively without a lot of hyperbole, histrionics, and hyperventilation, especially if they include citations from credible sources, the mods will give some lattitude. The problem is, that's just not the Scubaboard way :rolleyes:

OK, but as I say, the coverup you are alleging is a conspiracy hypothesis; a theory requires evidence to support it. Concealing evidence of a disease that is part of a global pandemic is a pretty serious allegation.
Well, an accusation might; a theory not so much. As I said, I was referencing FB posts so it's only chatter. Still, governments at all levels have been known to tell only what they think needs to be known and protect images at times. We'll never know for sure. I'm glad to hear that the feds are sending help as I also see reports on FB about safeguards being ignored, and I'd hate to see the town devastated.

I was speaking to an often on this forum claimed but never substantiated hypothesis that any bad news about Cozumel is intentionally covered up by both the authorities on the island and the moderators of this forum.

I can't speak to the actions of the mods here, but when I lived on the island ('94-'05 or so), it was widely known that news reports of water-related/tourist deaths were highly suppressed. If you didn't witness it yourself, or hear about it through the local grapevine, you generally didn't read about them in the newpspapers. That's not a conspiracy theory or hypothesis, it was how things worked, and you'd have a tough time convincing me things have changed substantively in that area.

Well, an accusation might; a theory not so much.
I was referring to the actual meanings of "theory" and "hypothesis" as I was taught. A theory requires evidence where a hypothesis does not.

Never mind; I didn't want to start a whole thing on the meaning of the word "is". :D

I can't speak to the actions of the mods here, but when I lived on the island ('94-'05 or so), it was widely known that news reports of water-related/tourist deaths were highly suppressed. If you didn't witness it yourself, or hear about it through the local grapevine, you generally didn't read about them in the newpspapers. That's not a conspiracy theory or hypothesis, it was how things worked, and you'd have a tough time convincing me things have changed substantively in that area.
"Widely known" can mean just about anything or nothing at all. I don't know one way or the other, but anecdotal evidence isn't evidence.

But at any rate, data on the spread of COVID-19 has global significance; suppressing local numbers for the imagined protection of what is at the moment a nonexistent tourist industry wouldn't make much sense to me.

I was referring to the actual meanings of "theory" and "hypothesis" as I was taught. A theory requires evidence where a hypothesis does not.
I didn't know that, thanks. I'll just call my thoughts hunches.

suppressing local numbers for the imagined protection of what is at the moment a nonexistent tourist industry wouldn't make much sense to me.
I'm confident that happens a lot, but think what you want to.

I'm receiving by weekly update on COVID-19 Global crisis management report from work. The report covers Mexico, s
ince we have manufacturing sites there. Today Mexico government announced "Stay at Home" extended to 30 May.

Love to Pedro and his family, he's a great dive buddy. Sorry to hear this, but I think things will get much worse.

"Widely known" can mean just about anything or nothing at all. I don't know one way or the other, but anecdotal evidence isn't evidence.

But at any rate, data on the spread of COVID-19 has global significance; suppressing local numbers for the imagined protection of what is at the moment a nonexistent tourist industry wouldn't make much sense to me.

Anecdotal evidence actually IS evidence, it just doesn't, on its own, rise to the level of conclusive proof. But I know for a fact that at least a couple newsworthy incidents, were ignored in the local media, because we looked for mention of them, and the prevailing local belief was that this was because the powers-that-be wanted to downplay any negative publicity, which is both plausible and logical.
And, even though there's no tourist industry at this moment, those pulling the strings have a vested interest in molding public perception with an eye towards the inevitable return of the tourism industry, so it isn't implausible that this would manifest in slanted media reporting (since that's basically how things have worked for as long as a media has existed, all over the planet.).

Back
Top Bottom