Cozumel cruise scuba diving knife question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Clay, So glad you found the park rules. I got called away from the computer just as I was posting and couldn't return to make another attempt to post the rules for you, sorry. Ok, so you have read the rules and now know that knives are not allowed. DH and I keep scissors handy, but, never have needed them. The one time I could have used my scissors, and didn't have it with me was when my DM and I came across fishing line entagled around a piece of coral. What a mess ! Of course, there was a hook on the fishing line. It is possible that it floated in from outside of the marine park, but, then again, possibly or probably not. Your DM may have a knife, but, they are issued permits. (If I am not correct, someone chime in..) Enjoy our trip, enjoy your dives, enjoy Cozumel !!! Sue

We dove the C53 in June of this year. So, apparently it is open to divers. Happened to be no current that day and a fantastic easy dive. Didn't see any dramatic areas that would be a problem after the split but we didn't go through the engine room level as we had done an earlier fairly deep dive. Inside the rest seemed easy to navigate, though.

It's been officially open since March or April (can't remember now). Most ops will allow gloves on the wrek purely for safety reasons.

snepdiver:
I am goind on a Royal CCL trip in January. I am going to do two tank dive with local op. Not the cattle boat the cruise line uses. I am tanking my gear and I know I can check my diving knife at the airport. But when I come back to the ship they xray everything and I can not find out if I can get my knife back on or not. Maybe I should leave it at home and rent one. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.:) :) :)
I just got back from a Royal CC I did bring my own gear as well as a dive knife. I had no problem getting it on the ship at the start or off the ship for the dive but! Getting back on I was drilled by security about the knife...They wanted to confiscate it so I argued the fact that #1 it's a dive knife used for diving and at times considered part of safety gear for diving, #2 I told the security guy that in the dinning facility I could use the steak knife to commit whatever it was that they fear would happen with a "Dive Knife". He replied with a smile and said " promise me it will stay in your state room" and I said...."I Promise". Suggestion....leave it and get some dive shears instead and save yourself the headache not to mention the people behind me grumbling trying to get back on the ship.

snepdiver:
I am going on a Royal CCL trip in January. I am going to do two tank dive with local op. Not the cattle boat the cruise line uses. I am tanking my gear and I know I can check my diving knife at the airport. But when I come back to the ship they xray everything and I can not find out if I can get my knife back on or not. Maybe I should leave it at home and rent one. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.:) :) :)

If you tell them in advance you MIGHT get it back at the end of the cruise when you disembark but not before then.

Security on cruise ships has gotten much more strict over the last 5 years. Carnival issues you an electronic ID card tied to a photo taken of you when you initially boarded the ship. You insert his card into a badge reader when re-boarding the ship. If it does not match security will detain you. They also do x-ray ALL carry-on baggage.

I would suggest inexpensive EMT shears instead of a dive knife. These have a blunt tip and might be more acceptable since they don't act very well as a weapon. Leisure Pro has them with a sheath for about $12. You might also be able to pick them up cheaper (minus the sheath) at a medical supply house.

So its apparently been well established that Knives aren't allowed in Coz, but, for future reference:

Used to work for RCL / Celebrity and the security / employee handbook says that dive knives are an exception to the rule. However, they are supposed to be locked in the security office and the Passenger who owns it gets a claim check type thing, and gets to tell security beforehand that "On days x, y, and z I will be going diving and I need my knife back." They give it to you on the dock / tender platform, you give it back when you come back. OTOH, the RCL security guy that said "Promise me it will stay in your stateroom," probably has the more common interpretation of the policy.

Be sure that when you first get on the boat, you ask to speak to the chief of security. Don't talk to the underlings, only the CoS, because most of the underlings were police in 3rd world countries, where "Police Work" equates to being paid unter the table. CoS are usually Ex-Israel or NATO military and will know the real policy and will accomodate.

Good move on not using the cattle boats. The only reason people are used on Shorex tours is the cursory evaluation given by RCL, and the fact that the tour ops pony up megabucks for the privilege of being advertised on the ship.

Have a good trip!

Obviously I am going to leave the knife at home and buy some shears/sheath.
It is not worth the trouble. Thank everyone for the input and expert advise.

snapdialer:
Obviously I am going to leave the knife at home and buy some shears/sheath.
It is not worth the trouble. Thank everyone for the input and expert advise.
Believe me you do not need any kind of self defence devices or what ever you want to call them if this is the reason you want to have a knife . This takes me back 12 years ago when we had our first trip to COZ and ofcouse the first dives. Those days was no problem to bring a knife on board of a plane so I had my dive knife with me in this first trip. To make the story short in the first dive when the dive master sow me attaching the knife to my right leg (this was after the boat stopped at the dive site) he started to lough and other divers on board did the same ) he politely told me that I do not need one and was illegal anyway, so why do you need something sharp anyway?

paulpost:
Believe me you do not need any kind of self defence devices or what ever you want to call them if this is the reason you want to have a knife . This takes me back 12 years ago when we had our first trip to COZ and ofcouse the first dives. Those days was no problem to bring a knife on board of a plane so I had my dive knife with me in this first trip. To make the story short in the first dive when the dive master sow me attaching the knife to my right leg (this was after the boat stopped at the dive site) he started to lough and other divers on board did the same ) he politely told me that I do not need one and was illegal anyway, so why do you need something sharp anyway?
It is not that I feel I need something sharp. The knife is mounted on my BC and if I dont need to take it I had much rather take it off at home instead of the cruise terminal,boat dock,gangway, etc. So anyway, Thanks for all the input. Clay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom