Where to stay in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Other than El Cantil, There aren’t really that many places within walking distance of the Aldora pier (it is smack in the middle of downtown ) or Villa Aldora that fit that bill. I think someone posted a video of Villa Aldora snorkeling that long ago . It is ironshore, not a sandy beach but fairly good snorkeling. As the word Villa implies , it is more a large house/B&B than a hotel (might suit your needs , might not —I know where it is but have never stayed there ).

Your budget gives you reasonable amount of flexibility depending upon your preferred room layout. There are condos down south where Aldora could likely pick you up for a daily fee (Landmark, Residencias Reef ). There are are also 3 Hyatt affiliated properties where I think you can pay to use the Secrets pier (no kids at Secrets , so your options would be Dreams or Sunscape ). I am not sure which other resorts are allowing non -affiliated operator pick up (Presidente Intercontinental probably does and it has been one of the nicest island hotels for decades , you could also check on AIs like Occidental Grand, Allegro and Iberostar). Given you are diving with Aldora , you could just ask them and say you are 3 adults with 1 child would like to stay on the beach down south where do they get the least grief about picking you up .

I would flag that while I understand the convenience of hotel pickup , taxis are plentiful and safe if you chose to stay at one of the northern hotels and took a ten minute (tops ) taxi to the pier in town. This also means you are closer to town for restaurants and shopping/strolling around.
Regardless of where you stay , I would try to confirm your key assumptions before booking if possible (something that was true six months ago when someone stayed on the board stayed there may not be true today ).

Wyndham Cozumel Hotel & Resort may also be an option.

There is a big pool in the main courtyard. Across the street (accessible either at the surface level or via tunnel) they have the dock and a "beachy" area with sand, palms, and chairs behind the seawall. There is a small lagoon pool that you can swim out through an opening in the seawall.

It is at the southern edge of town, but walk-able (non-trivial) to downtown.

Plus 1 on El Cantil, great location, fantastic amenities, very reasonable price. We dove with 3P they picked us up or sent a car to take us to the marina and back every day

For people wanting more details, let’s say a ballpark max price is $4,000 USD for 3 adults 1 kid. Either being within walking distance from where Aldora departs or being able to have Aldora pick up from wherever we are staying. The non-divers would heavily prefer to be on the water where they can swim.
I am leaning towards Grand Park Royal Cozumel.
Also, thank you everyone who is responding.
I haven't priced the Park Royal and it isn't really my cup of tea, but it sounds like a pretty good choice. If not there, it sounds like a resort somewhere further south would work too, if you're thinking AI is the way to go. Further south will have better, less congested swimming, not snorkeling, options.

I like the PR area and have stayed at Casa del Mar, which is right next door to the PR, many times. I have friends that stayed at the Park Royal, and they liked the beach and beach area there. I think they have an actual, manmade, beach area with sand that slopes into the water. CDM has a manmade beach and seawall with steps into the water, can be all inclusive if you choose and is much smaller than the PR. The PR is more of a "resort". CDM splits the difference between "resort" and "hotel". That area is somewhat "built up" and busy. The south cruise ship port is about two blocks away from the PR, CDM, El Cid la Cieba, Village Tan Kah, Palamar Condos (?) area.

You may be charged for pick-up from the PR dock, but my recollection is that it's not a horrible fee. The PR is all-inclusive, but you're not a far shot from the square and the many great restaurants. In fact, there are some serviceable places to eat in very easy walking distance from the PR. Taxi for 3-4 is $95 pesos one way? The PR is very close to Tikila and some OK snorkeling and shore diving if you want. The Atlantis Submarine shop is also right across the street. The Fury snorkeling catamarans used to be moored in front of CDM, but I think if you do their excursion, they taxi you downtown or something like that.

The advantage to the Park Royal, imo, is the relatively cheap taxi to "downtown" (the square) and a sand beach area. It also has close proximity to reasonable snorkeling and shore diving. It's a nice "resort". Aldora will pick you up and drop you off at their dock. It's not right on the water, but access to their beach area is relatively easy. For the record, I'm in the "...don't stay AI on Cozumel, there are too many good restaurants..." crowd.

I always stay at and dive with Blue Angel. It checks all the boxes for me.

My family have stayed at seven of the island AIs. We haven't stayed at the Park Royal because there is almost always a cruise ship or two docked directly in front of the resort. Not our jam.

The best AI on the island is Cozumel Palace. You can get a two story family suite within your budget but you'd need to book through a Diamond Club member to get that pricing.

At the southern end of the island you have Iberostar which has the best and most varied kid's activities of all the AIs on the island. They have the most island vibe (flora and fauna plus hut like accommodations) out of all the AIs we've tried. You are a five minute boat ride to most of the reefs which means you spend more time on the beach than you would anywhere else. They have the best beach of the AIs right up and until the waterline where it turns into ironshore (water shoes a must to enter/egress or use the pier). The downside is that you are way out of town down there (figure $25 - $30 can fares each way) so if you plan on going to town much more than once, those fares add up in a hurry.

Fiesta Americana and Explorean have long been our go to resorts as they have very good food for an AI and are much closer to town ($8 cab fare) but they had their pier and beach facilities shut down by a federal government agency two and a half years ago and are hard to recommend currently, especially for divers (no pier pickup/drop off).

We didn't care for Sabor, Occidental (Royal level) or Secrets (which is adult only) and are unlikely to return to these resorts.

My family have stayed at seven of the island AIs. We haven't stayed at the Park Royal because there is almost always a cruise ship or two docked directly in front of the resort. Not our jam.

The best AI on the island is Cozumel Palace. You can get a two story family suite within your budget but you'd need to book through a Diamond Club member to get that pricing.

At the southern end of the island you have Iberostar which has the best and most varied kid's activities of all the AIs on the island. They have the most island vibe (flora and fauna plus hut like accommodations) out of all the AIs we've tried. You are a five minute boat ride to most of the reefs which means you spend more time on the beach than you would anywhere else. They have the best beach of the AIs right up and until the waterline where it turns into ironshore (water shoes a must to enter/egress or use the pier). The downside is that you are way out of town down there (figure $25 - $30 can fares each way) so if you plan on going to town much more than once, those fares add up in a hurry.

Fiesta Americana and Explorean have long been our go to resorts as they have very good food for an AI and are much closer to town ($8 cab fare) but they had their pier and beach facilities shut down by a federal government agency two and a half years ago and are hard to recommend currently, especially for divers (no pier pickup/drop off).

We didn't care for Sabor, Occidental (Royal level) or Secrets (which is adult only) and are unlikely to return to these resorts.

This is great advice. When we travel with non-divers we stay at Iberostar. That resort is amazing. The hidden advantage is you are so close to the reef that you will be away from your friends the least amount of time. You will literally save an hour or more each day not having to motor from town to the reefs each day.

Also, you have to go downtown for shopping and dinners a few times! The trick is to pay in Pesos! The drivers overcharge you if you pay in USD. It is about $15 each way if you pay in Peso equivalent.

The last time we stayed in Scuba Club Cozumel and were quite happy with them. They also have some shore diving from their beach, if you are interested.

Consider Villa Aldora. You will get picked up right there. Like so many other places, it’s ironshore, but they have built a beach with a nice palapa. There are steps and a ladder to access the water. Because it’s ironshore, there is good snorkeling out front and they keep tanks on-site for shore diving. There is no food service on site, but all rooms have at least a small fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. You’ll want breakfast earlier than anyone serves it, anyway, to make the 7:30 pickup. Several different kinds of rooms available, all at pretty reasonable rates. It’s about a mile north of the square, so not to hard to get into town for dinner. They have bikes available, the walk isn’t bad, and a cab ride is pretty cheap. I’ve always rented a car, preferring convenience over economy. Used to use Rentadora Isis, but used Fiesta last time and like them. Having a car could help keep the non-divers happy, which is one of the reasons I do it.

I happen to love the Occidental and can't stand the Iberostar. The Occidental has a sand beach in the water, it's smaller, it's cheaper, and I love the food, layout, rooms, and staff. I it's my go-to. I dive with Dressel next door, but walk to it. The nicest hotel is the Intercontinental Presidente, but it's way too expensive (I stay on points!). The Westin is absolutely lovely, but near almost nothing.

Back
Top Bottom