Cozumel Customs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's been a long time since I have been handed a customs form on a flight from DFW. May be the luck of the draw but for the last year the forms were handed in the terminal.
I usually use the online customs site and print out the document (remember to sign it to make it valid) Datos de identificación

Select Cancun as the city and Cozumel as the terminal. Cozumel customs is under the Cancun office. The site does not like Chrome, use Edge or the iOS browser
This is the best link from the actual MX gov! And my chrome work fine as long as I display it in Spanish. If it auto-translates, it screws the date up.

And randomly sign your name on the front of it somewhere.

It's been a long time since I have been handed a customs form on a flight from DFW. May be the luck of the draw but for the last year the forms were handed in the terminal.
I usually use the online customs site and print out the document (remember to sign it to make it valid) Datos de identificación

Select Cancun as the city and Cozumel as the terminal. Cozumel customs is under the Cancun office. The site does not like Chrome, use Edge or the iOS browser

I filled this out the day before leaving, and it was accepted at customs. Saved me a lot of time & struggle compared to trying to fill out the form with a pen. Thanks!

Probably going to phase that out soon. I flew into Cancun last month and no immigration or customs paperwork was required.

I have a question, after reminiscing with my wife about the old immigration form (FMM). It had a section that one needed to provide upon leaving the country. What was the purpose of that section, and where was it collected upon departure? At the ticket counter?

ETA: Thanks be to whomever that it's gone :).

I have a question, after reminiscing with my wife about the old immigration form (FMM). It had a section that one needed to provide upon leaving the country. What was the purpose of that section, and where was it collected upon departure? At the ticket counter?

ETA: Thanks be to whomever that it's gone :).
I don't know exactly what it was for, but it was collected by the airline at check in for departure.

Have a pen ready as you get off the plane. Actually, have a couple of them, as the people around you will be patting their pockets and eagerly looking at your pen.

I came down a couple back and the gentleman in front of me (Hispanic gentleman who was coming to work on the island) had three cartons cigarettes and had not declared them on the form. They hit him with a $296 USD fine. He tried to decline the fine by saying they could keep the cigarettes and the gal said no you have only to options:
1) Pay the fine and keep the cigarettes, for failure to declare, or
2) Paying a $2K USD for smuggling and falsifying an official document by stating he had no excess items and they keep the cigarettes.
Credit cards only and gone are the days of negotiating a cash payment slipped into your passport. Marina personnel were watching the customs folks like hawks.

I came down a couple back and the gentleman in front of me (Hispanic gentleman who was coming to work on the island) had three cartons cigarettes and had not declared them on the form. They hit him with a $296 USD fine. He tried to decline the fine by saying they could keep the cigarettes and the gal said no you have only to options:
1) Pay the fine and keep the cigarettes, for failure to declare, or
2) Paying a $2K USD for smuggling and falsifying an official document by stating he had no excess items and they keep the cigarettes.
Credit cards only and gone are the days of negotiating a cash payment slipped into your passport. Marina personnel were watching the customs folks like hawks.
I was talking to some other visitors, a couple who both smoked, but put the cigs for both people in one of their bags. They were also hit with the fine, because of the per person limit.

I was talking to some other visitors, a couple who both smoked, but put the cigs for both people in one of their bags. They were also hit with the fine, because of the per person limit.
I also got hit with a fine my first time traveling there. I had too many cans of Copenhagen. 5 cans puts you just below the amount of tobacco allowed. You are allowed 10 packs of cigarettes or 200 grams of tobacco. I have since figured it out. They only check your bags, not your person. I wear cargo shorts and load them up.😂

It had a section that one needed to provide upon leaving the country. What was the purpose of that section, and where was it collected upon departure? At the ticket counter?

This was to track when people on a temporary entrance permit left the country.

Resident foreigners had to complete the form before leaving Mexico. The departure portion was kept and they had to keep track of the larger entry portion until they returned to Mexico. Because they were legal residents, they didn't have to keep track of any FMM papers while in Mexico.

Every tourist entering Mexico (or foreign resident leaving) does actually still get an FMM. It's just electronic-only and you don't have to keep track of it except in unusual circumstances. There's a website on which you can check your FMM (for example, if you want to confirm the information on it). For tourists, the number of days permitted in the country is written in the entry border stamp in your passport, so you shouldn't need to check your electronic FMM for that.

Resident foreigners do still need to register departures from the country by stopping at INM at the airport, but they do not need to fill out an FMM first. Note that the Cozumel INM office has moved to within the departures area and that the window is not staffed. You have to phone to get an INM officer, so allow time for this in your departure planning.

My own experience with the online customs form is that each time I've used it I've been directed to the inspections area without pressing the green/red button.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom