Cozumel dive conditions in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Weather is usually pretty good. Diving is good (as always :wink: ). Been 3 times in mid-April and each time the thimble jellies were starting to come in over the last couple days of the trip. Varies from year to year as to exactly when they show up and how thick they'll be. Some sites you can get huge amounts of them and other dives you will barely see a few. It wouldn't stop me from going but if you're prone to stings then definitely go with a full suit and a lightweight hood for added protection.

I think April is ideal there. Out of four trips, three have been in mid-April. Weather (from an El Norte) cost us one day out of three weeks (over the 3 trips) of boat diving. So we did a shore dive instead. By the afternoon it was gone.

Water temps are around 79, hot and sunny pretty much everyday.

We are considering another trip there Apr 18-25, after the holiday vacations are over, as usual. The crowds are light, but not as quiet as it gets in say, September.

scubawife is right about the thimble jellies. I think we have had them every trip in April. I have surfaced right in the middle of them a few times, but have never had a problem. I wear a full suit, but no hood.

Also, on two trips we saw numerous spawning sponges. That may have been at Columbia Reef, but I would have to check my log. Cool to see, although the viz is affected.

I think April is ideal there. Out of four trips, three have been in mid-April. Weather (from an El Norte) cost us one day out of three weeks (over the 3 trips) of boat diving. So we did a shore dive instead. By the afternoon it was gone.

Water temps are around 79, hot and sunny pretty much everyday.

We are considering another trip there Apr 18-25, after the holiday vacations are over, as usual. The crowds are light, but not as quiet as it gets in say, September.

So with water temps around 79F, is that too cold for a 1/2 mm but too warm for a 3 mm?

What did you use?

I will be there in April as well ... .:)

Conditions are great and a 0.5MM has worked fine for me. However I don't chill easily and I do dive every day.

scubawife is right about the thimble jellies. I think we have had them every trip in April. I have surfaced right in the middle of them a few times, but have never had a problem. I wear a full suit, but no hood.

Also, on two trips we saw numerous spawning sponges. That may have been at Columbia Reef, but I would have to check my log. Cool to see, although the viz is affected.
The upside to the thimble jellies is that turtles love to snack on them so when they're out, you'll usually see more turtles.

I can see then that I will probably end up bringing both of the 1/2 mm and the 3 mm.

82F is definitely 1/2 mm.

75F is definitely 3 mm.

And in between is always a roll of the dice.

You cold water guys amaze me.

82F is definitely a 3

75 is at least a 5

and I am probably adding my core warmer as the week progresses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom