Cozumel in August!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I will be staying from 8-21 to 8-29 at El Cozumeleno, we have never stayed there but they gave us a great deal. I have not decided who I will be diving with yet, either Scuba Mau or Blue XTsea.
Way up north; I've never been up that road. Heard there are some nice properties up there. Are you renting a car?

We stayed up at ElCoz for 4 days a few years ago. The dive op we use also keeps their boats up at Puerto Abrigo as well. Its an area that has quite a few large condos up and under construction. The Coral Princess, Fontan and Playa Azul are also up that way. There are also some very beautiful oceanfront homes. We love to look at them from the ocean side. There is a residential neighborhood up there as well past the Melia as well. We have drive thru and thought it was nice. Then there are the mangroves and a dirt road we never drove on. From what I understand the mangroves have an effect on the ocean water up that way. One of the complaints I have read about the Melia is that the water is green from the runoff. Not sure what effect it has on the properties that are north of the hotel. The ocean water at El Coz was beautiful.
When we stayed at El Coz we had a rental car (thats what we do every trip no mater where we stay) and drove to Puerto Abrigo to dive. Its a bit of a hike to town but I am sure some people walk in. I would highly recommend a car to anyone staying up north.

Way up north; I've never been up that road. Heard there are some nice properties up there. Are you renting a car?

I haven't decided if I want a car or just use a taxi. I have dove Cozumel several times but this will be the first time we have stayed on the island, we usually stay at Playa Del Carmen and I come over to dive. My wife likes to just do the beach thing and hang out at the hotel while I go to dive and we will probably go a couple of nights to town to eat so I thought maybe just use a taxi, one nice thing is Opal at Scuba Mau has made me a very nice offer that really cuts the taxi bill. For divie shops I have heard very good things about Blue Xtsea and scuba Mau and I will pick one today or tomorrow, with all the good stuff I have heard about both its a hard choice.

Scuba Keli & Scuba Dave August 7 - August 14 Scuba Club Cozumel.
Just got the new sealife DC 1200 ready to go cant wait. We are on the light package, any restaurant suggestions would be great.

...Opal at Scuba Mau has made me a very nice offer that really cuts the taxi bill. For divie shops I have heard very good things about Blue Xtsea and scuba Mau and I will pick one today or tomorrow, with all the good stuff I have heard about both its a hard choice.
How cool. I've never looked at northern hotels because so few will pick up there.

I haven't decided if I want a car or just use a taxi.

It's been my experience that taxis are few and far between when you get to the north end. There just isn't enough business up there to warrant them hanging around that area much!... Personally, I would be inclined to rent a car if staying anywhere north of the airport. :wink:

When we stayed at El Coz, there seemed to be a taxi or 2 out front most times. I would imagine that the doorman would radio a cab if a guest needed one and there were none waiting. I think its better to rent a car.

DARRINMARCIAL w/ buddy already there-September 3 Villa Minor/ Aldora
HIMSELF July 23- August 8 Hotel Barracuda/Dive Paradise
SCTOM with wife and son July 27-August 3 Villablanca/ScubaMau maybe

MISSISSIPPIDIVER and son July 28-August 4 Safari Inn/ Aqua Safari
JLYLE July 31-August 21 Scuba Club Cozumel
BARADA plus 8 July 31- August 7 Scuba Club Cozumel
SW1976 & hubby August 1- August 8 Hotel Cozumel/Dive Paradise
JILLIANANNO August 2- August 6 ????? FIRST TIMER
DOOWAIN1 with 10 (6 divers) August 3- August 12th Casa Mexicana/??
MATHEWJEN and wife August 3-August 10 Casa Del Mar/??
WATT and wife August 5- August 12 Barracuda/Dive Paradise
BOBTRUCK and family August 6-August 12 Allegro/??
SCUBA KELLY & SCUBA DAVE August 7 August 14 Scuba Club Cozumel
ORIGINALSEABASS and family August 6- August 14 Occidental Grand/ Dive with Martin
JUDYDIVESCOZ and hubby August 6-August 24 Staying with friends/ Albatros
KDBECKSTROM w/husband and sister August 7- August 14 Iberostar/Alison
KABAL22 and wife August 7-August 15 ???/Living Underwater
BUDAMAN August 7-August 14 Le Cieba/Babieca
CRAIG66 and Family August 8-August 15 Casa Mexicana/ ScubaMau
DOCC & ALOHAGAL August 11- August 16 Blue Angel/Blue Angel
COBRA269 August 13-23 Wyndham Sabor/ Dive with Martin
BAYSTR w/ kids August 14- August 25 Allegro/Dive Pro
MARCADO August 14- August 23 Safari Inn or Hostelito/Aqua Safari
UBER wife and parents August 14-August 28 Occidental Grand/ Dive Palancar
N8LYKIND with husband August 19-August 26 Residencias Reef/Alison FIRST TIMERS
PAULW and wife August 21- August 29 El Coz/Blue Xta Sea
DANDYDON and buddy August 21-August 28 Villablanca/ScubaMau
HARRO10 August 21- August 28 Vista Del Mar/ScubaMau
MERFMAN August 21-August 28 Scuba Club Cozumel
MMABASSADOR August 21-August 28 ???
SUPRANE and Laura August 21-August 28 Hotel Cozumel/Aldora (?)
DJANNI August 28-September 4 El Cid/BlueXTsea
SKINSFAN131 party of 8 August 29-Sept 5 Wyndam Sabor/??

Last edited:
My wife and I will be staying from 8-21 to 8-29 at El Cozumeleno, we have never stayed there but they gave us a great deal. I have not decided who I will be diving with yet, either Scuba Mau or Blue XTsea.

To update my post I will be diving with Christi at Blue XT~Sea and I cant wait to get to the island!!

I have not actually booked my cruise yet, but if it pans out, I'll be in Cozumel on Aug 10 for a day of diving. I know nothing about Cozumel and would like to get up-to-speed ASAP so I can cram a day of diving in at what is apparently one of the best dive spots in the world.

Intermediate open water diver, most of my time in cold water Great Lakes but have dove Bahamas and Grand Turk. My vacation buddy is not a dive buddy.

Looking for any and all advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom