Cozumel Incident 9/4/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Crush View Post
Let me throw out some of what is pure speculation on my part:

A boat was involved;
A boat captain was involved;
Other divers were witness;
Other divers took part;
A wall of silence has been erected around the occurrence (save for a few isolated posters);
Being treated for DCS is expensive;
One would not want reckless behaviour to invalidate insurance;
Some divers have developed a "reputation;" and
The Cozumel dive community is tight-knit so peer pressure plus self-preservation is keeping "those who know" silent.

You must have got the same PM I got last night from someone with more detailed knowledge of what happened. As a great lady has in her sig line -"Stupid should be painful."
Thanks for absolutely positively proving a few of the points he just made. There are many people who know everything that happened but no one is saying as of yet maybe for a few of the reasons he stated but most importantly possibly having some very expensive medical care end up not being covered for being stupid.

Last edited:
I cannot discuss secrets sent in PMs or gleaned from between the line reading, sorry.

Adding one:

3) Egos and reputation of those involved once word got out. A trip to the chamber would be difficult to keep quiet on the island and beyond if they were able to "fix" the problem themselves.

Hell, that is one darn good lesson to be learned here isn't it?! Your bruised ego or marred reputation is temporary... a pine box or confinement to a respirator IS PERMANENT!

Last edited:
This is a very interesting read FWIW and covers something I asked earlier about if any of them have dive computer info for this incident:

The Law Offices of David G. Concannon, LLC

The failure to obtain data stored in dive computers is especially problematic. Downloadable dive computers have been on the market for almost 15 years. The information stored in these computers has essential applications, including the ability to help research that promotes diver safety, prevents or helps us to understand the causative factors in diving accidents, and helps to prevent or resolve litigation. Yet, unbelievably, divers do not routinely review or preserve dive computer data after an accident or serious incident, even though their basic training teaches them to record and/or download dive data. Now the failure to obtain and preserve dive computer data can have dramatic consequences in diving fatality litigation.

WSOPFAN, I suspect that my dive computer has data for dives from multiple trips. How is it that data is "not preserved?"

I am curious how "many people" could know the details of the planned dive and actual events. One of the injured stated in another thread that a downcurrent forced them lower than planned...yet several pages back, someone stated that a downcurrent was not a factor.

Hi Dave.

Dandy Don said: "I cannot discuss secrets sent in PMs or gleaned from between the line reading, sorry."

Well if Dandy Don ain't talkin' ......
Maybe somebody could send these top secret PMs over to Wikileaks.

WSOPFAN, I suspect that my dive computer has data for dives from multiple trips. How is it that data is "not preserved?"

I am curious how "many people" could know the details of the planned dive and actual events. One of the injured stated in another thread that a downcurrent forced them lower than planned...yet several pages back, someone stated that a downcurrent was not a factor.

Hi Dave.

I think by "preserve" after in incident maybe he meant it was never downloaded or given as evidence. While the diver involved did claim that yet many seem to be very skeptical as to whether he is actually being truthful. I say unless some other empirical evidence is produced, like a computer printout of the dive profile, then it would be prudent to take that person at their word IMO.

Adding one:

3) Egos and reputation of those involved once word got out. A trip to the chamber would be difficult to keep quiet on the island and beyond if they were able to "fix" the problem themselves.
They wouldn't be the first or last Cozumel dive pros to get bent. Nobody hides that they've taken a hit and most of the time it's undeserved. And even if a dm got bent engaging in a risky dive on their own time, when your life is at stake you suck it up and deal with any negative backlash later. Reputations can be rebuilt, lives can't.

While I've never personally understood the appeal, bounce diving and deep diving (really deep, not just 10-20 ft below recreational depths of 130) without tech training and appropriate equipment, aren't uncommon and plenty of divers do it... rarely just once. To each their own and I'm not going to judge that. Scuba is an adventure, high risk sport and like other risky activity, it attracts it's share of adrenaline junkies and thrill seekers. Even if you play by the rules you have to have a little bit of an edge to do this sport. While there are things we know we can do to lessen our chances of DCS, there is still no full-proof, proven science that says why some people get bent and others don't.

Like with any accident, diving or otherwise, the only people who really know what the plan was and what happened are the ones who were there. Whether we ever hear the details directly from one of them or not, the outcome is the same and I think the take-away is the same as it was at the initial posts about the accident.

Have more than enough air for your dive plan in case you have an emergency. (Too many divers get annoyed when they surface and still have more than 500psi, as if they were robbed of dive time. If you routinely come up with a lot of air, be glad. Someday you might need it)

Don't dive beyond your training.

Diving comes with risks. You don't drive a car uninsured, don't dive uninsured.

If you do want to choose to engage in risky practices, understand the risk and potential outcomes and be prepared for them. It's rarely just one person affected. If you have family, people who rely on you, then think about what they're going to be faced with.

Whether this was a planned dive to a deep depth, if they'd done it before successfully, if there was a down current, or whatever the actual situation was, if anything, I hope this makes anyone who's diving without even basic medical insurance think twice. Again, not judging, but I don't understand how someone could do such a high risk activity for a living and not carry any medical insurance at all, forget about dive accident coverage, but just basic medical. And hopefully anyone who has a dive beyond rec limits on single AL 80 or 100 planned will think twice. Whether a down current played a part or not, they do exist and now more divers will be aware of them and have some idea of what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom