Cozumel Incident 9/4/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What dive site Sealkie?

What dive site Sealkie?

it was several yeas ago and I have trouble recalling what I ate for breakfast most days ... in short .. no idea - but my point was assuming there is a good reason that there is no boat could be a mistake - in my friends case I know it was a rarely dived part of the island and they all commented they were lucky there was little or no current or they would have been swept past the island before they reached land - I do recall them saying they had to do a little rock climbing to get on shore - it wasn`t a beach

Reactions: Jax
PS! Having tec divers on board is usually a good thing (we carry more oxygen, usually have ability to go for a deep rescue, on many cases have better training to evaluate the conditions of injured person, etc…), so we are not necessarily a risk, more likely an asset. Or maybe I am wrong?

I, for one, do not think you wrong at all! Especially if we are talking about someone with the credentials and backround that you appear to have!

It has been my observation that well trained and experienced tech divers as a general rule have much more knowledge about diving physiology, injuries, and treatment modalities than anyone else on the boat! This applies (IMHO) accross the board to even include most SCUBA instructors. They also have through their training and experience developed a mind set that makes them more proficient at sorting out and dealing with emergencies or difficult situation.

So,,, added risk?... I don't think so! :no:

friends of mine surfaced in Cozumel to find no boat - you would have been in for a seriously long wait if you had taken your course of action in their case - the boat had sunk while they on their dive - during the couple of hours it took them to swim to shore they didn`t see another boat

And the boat didn't have time to radio a distress call before it slipped under the waves?!? :shocked2: What about the boat captain and any crew or guests that were on the boat? What became of them?

It just goes to prove what I said in another post. There is absolutely no way that you can have a contingency for every possible thing in the world that can go wrong! You just simply try to stack the odds in your favor as much as possible. I guess this would be a situation in which carrying a personal EPIRB would be a good solution (if you are inclined to accept that expense and the trouble of carrying it on every dive!).

It is not like the boat "abandoned" them... I can imagine they (the boat captain and any crew) were as unhappy with the situation as anyone! It was (I'm assuming) an incident that was out of their control. In the medical field we often refer to these as "unplanned, unexpected, untoward incidents"!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax
And the boat didn't have time to radio a distress call before it slipped under the waves?!? :shocked2: What about the boat captain and any crew or guests that were on the boat? What became of them?

It just goes to prove what I said in another post. There is absolutely no way that you can have a contingency for every possible thing in the world that can go wrong! You just simply try to stack the odds in your favor as much as possible. I guess this would be a situation in which carrying a personal EPIRB would be a good solution (if you are inclined to accept that expense and the trouble of carrying it on every dive!).

It is not like the boat "abandoned" them... I can imagine they (the boat captain and any crew) were as unhappy with the situation as anyone! It was (I'm assuming) an incident that was out of their control. In the medical field we often refer to these as "unplanned, unexpected, untoward incidents"!

I dunno, but in this case, I'd be planning a wreck dive! Gotta get my stuff left on the boat.

I dunno, but in this case, I'd be planning a wreck dive! Gotta get my stuff left on the boat.

:rofl3: Really! :cheers:

it was several yeas ago and I have trouble recalling what I ate for breakfast most days ... in short .. no idea - but my point was assuming there is a good reason that there is no boat could be a mistake - in my friends case I know it was a rarely dived part of the island and they all commented they were lucky there was little or no current or they would have been swept past the island before they reached land - I do recall them saying they had to do a little rock climbing to get on shore - it wasn`t a beach

I have personally made the trip swimming to shore twice. Having the option to dump weights, water warm, no sharks helped keep the idea of panic to a minimum. Just after hurricane Gilbert ('89 I think) very few boats out. no one came along. Our captain had mechanical problems. he drifted one way, we drifted another. We were knee deep in water when another boat came . The dive site was Cedral. Another time the boat took on water in a squall and sank near Paradise. That one was easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom