Cozumel Non-inclusives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two words.........Blue Angel...no brainer for me. Nice, convienent, fastest boats (I've seen), great staff, shore diving for those who like it. Also small, only 20 rooms all facing the water. Eva and the staff are top notch. For any training, Matt, Kari, and Mateo are just phenominal. We'll be heading back in November :)

---------- Post added August 6th, 2013 at 05:08 PM ----------

he said he was the only diver, so I thought maybe he didn't want something like that. Aren't most of the people staying there divers?
Every time I've stayed, there are lots of Non-diving spouses. Regardless, you have the pool, Restaurant, nearby beach clubs, and town for non divers :)

Casa Mexicana, downtown, is in a great location for wandering downtown, shopping, and walking to restaurants. It is a nice hotel, nice rooms, and the breakfast buffet is included. Downside is it is not really a "resort" property; the "pool" is inside and barely qualifies as a kiddie pool.

Hotel Cozumel is also nice, nice rooms, huge swimming pool, and a sandy "beach" type area across the street with access to the ocean for snorkeling. It's big, much more of a resort atmosphere. it has an AI option, which I would STRONGLY discourage - the food is TERRIBLE - UNLESS you are all dedicated drinkers and planning on getting your AI money's worth at the bar. I'd still plan on eating most meals outside the Hotel. It is outside of Downtown, but not a bad walk.

Casa Del Mar is about a mile or more south of Downtown - it's walkable, but it's a good hike. It has a pool area, is much smaller and more intimate than Hotel Cozumel, and does have suites available (check the website). Also has a smallish beach area across the street with access to the ocean for snorkeling. Rooms are not as nice, IMO, as Hotel Cozumel or Casa Mexicana, and I would definitely go with at least the Superior Rooms, ocean or pool view, rather than standard rooms. It also has an AI option, but I would pass on that and just get the Breakfast with room option. It is very convenient for diving, although I personally would not use the house dive shop - try Dive with Martin, Aldora, or any of several other operations recommended by members here. You will either need to rent a car or plan on a lot of taxi fares. If the non-divers want to go to Chankanaab Park, Punta Sur, any of the beach clubs to the south, or explore thevEast side while you are diving, a rental car would be a good option.

I've only stayed at the Fiesta Americana farther south, which is not an option as it is closed (I thought the rooms were awful - damp, musty, noisy AC - it needed the renovations). I've also never stayed in the North Hotel Zone, as it was much less convenient for diving. But there are some nice resorts with nicer beach areas up there, so if most of the group is non-diving, that may be a good option. Again, it's a hike into downtown, so plan on taxis or a rental car.

Two words.........Blue Angel...no brainer for me. Nice, convienent, fastest boats (I've seen), great staff, shore diving for those who like it. Also small, only 20 rooms all facing the water. Eva and the staff are top notch. For any training, Matt, Kari, and Mateo are just phenominal. We'll be heading back in November :)

---------- Post added August 6th, 2013 at 05:08 PM ----------

Every time I've stayed, there are lots of Non-diving spouses. Regardless, you have the pool, Restaurant, nearby beach clubs, and town for non divers :)

That is true at ScubaClub, too... there are always some non-diving spouses there. Some just sit by pool all morning. And since it is walking distance to town, many take off while boats are gone to do things there.
Our next trip... March most likely, will include our daughter (diver) and her boyfriend (non-diver).

...will include our daughter (diver) and her boyfriend (non-diver).

There is parenting gone wrong. Why would you let her do that? Insist Johnny-come-lately have enough respect to get certified before dating her!!

Casa Mexicana. It does it include their breakfast buffet which is fantastic but it's not all inclusive. Easy and quick walk to all local restaurants and bars downtown area.

Easy pick-up for diving from municipal pier.

Another vote for Casa Mexicana. Good clean rooms w/ good A/C. The Aldora dive shop is just around the corner; pier is two blocks away.

WP_000061.jpg WP_000059.jpg WP_000062.jpg WP_000065.jpg WP_000067.jpg WP_000069.jpg WP_000058.jpg

Last edited:
There is parenting gone wrong. Why would you let her do that? Insist Johnny-come-lately have enough respect to get certified before dating her!!

oh lord....... as if we haven't told her to dump him??? Too late, they have been dating 3 years and now live together. She has told us to back off, if he wants to get certified he will bring it up. We are thinking ~wink, wink~ that if he goes to Cozumel with us, he might get interested.

oh lord....... as if we haven't told her to dump him??? Too late, they have been dating 3 years and now live together. She has told us to back off, if he wants to get certified he will bring it up. We are thinking ~wink, wink~ that if he goes to Cozumel with us, he might get interested.

Bring up the will.... :wink:

What price range & are you looking for a place with "resort" style features or just a hotel? Without AI you'll either need to be close to town or have a rental car. Hotel Cozumel can be AI or non AI, Villablanca is non & I think Casa Del Mar is non AI but a long walk into town. There are several decent hotels in town but they lack the amenities of the places I've named.

Price range is flexible, rental car would be fine. I'll check into your suggestions, thanks. I don't want to whittle down my options, except to say if an "either AI or non-AI" place would still have all the AI signature amenities (foam-in-the-pool DJ parties, free pedal boat/jet ski/snorkeling equipment rentals, multiple theme restaurants, free weak drinks, etc.), it's probably not the place for us.

---------- Post added August 7th, 2013 at 10:23 PM ----------

Casa Mexicana, downtown, is in a great location for wandering downtown, shopping, and walking to restaurants. It is a nice hotel, nice rooms, and the breakfast buffet is included. Downside is it is not really a "resort" property; the "pool" is inside and barely qualifies as a kiddie pool.

Hotel Cozumel is also nice, nice rooms, huge swimming pool, and a sandy "beach" type area across the street with access to the ocean for snorkeling. It's big, much more of a resort atmosphere. it has an AI option, which I would STRONGLY discourage - the food is TERRIBLE - UNLESS you are all dedicated drinkers and planning on getting your AI money's worth at the bar. I'd still plan on eating most meals outside the Hotel. It is outside of Downtown, but not a bad walk.

Casa Del Mar is about a mile or more south of Downtown - it's walkable, but it's a good hike. It has a pool area, is much smaller and more intimate than Hotel Cozumel, and does have suites available (check the website). Also has a smallish beach area across the street with access to the ocean for snorkeling. Rooms are not as nice, IMO, as Hotel Cozumel or Casa Mexicana, and I would definitely go with at least the Superior Rooms, ocean or pool view, rather than standard rooms. It also has an AI option, but I would pass on that and just get the Breakfast with room option. It is very convenient for diving, although I personally would not use the house dive shop - try Dive with Martin, Aldora, or any of several other operations recommended by members here. You will either need to rent a car or plan on a lot of taxi fares. If the non-divers want to go to Chankanaab Park, Punta Sur, any of the beach clubs to the south, or explore thevEast side while you are diving, a rental car would be a good option.

I've only stayed at the Fiesta Americana farther south, which is not an option as it is closed (I thought the rooms were awful - damp, musty, noisy AC - it needed the renovations). I've also never stayed in the North Hotel Zone, as it was much less convenient for diving. But there are some nice resorts with nicer beach areas up there, so if most of the group is non-diving, that may be a good option. Again, it's a hike into downtown, so plan on taxis or a rental car.

Good info, thanks! I have stayed in the north hotels - they can be nice, but diving is more difficult logistically. Unless you're willing to pay for a fast boat to pick you up. But even then, it's still a long boat ride the diving...

---------- Post added August 7th, 2013 at 10:29 PM ----------

Don't forget Coral Princess or Playa Azul. Beautiful near north of town with no cruise ship weenies.

Dave Dillehay Aldora Divers

Thanks. I noticed you're a local. I should listen to you. Cruise ship weenies is definitely on my "things to avoid" list. (Along with U/W photographers with more gear than an Everest expedition.) Is it hard to arrange pick-ups up there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom