CPAP - Distilled Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently started using a CPAP machine and normally use distilled water in the reservoir as the manufacturer recommends. I will be coming to Cozumel soon and really don't want to deal trying to bring distilled water through TSA. I don’t recall ever seeing distilled water at MegaMart.....that said, I really wasn’t looking for it. Searched the forum and didn’t see anything but some posts 5 years or older regarding the subject. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone knows of a source of distilled water on Cozumel, or has another possible solution instead of distilled water. Unfortunately, distilled agave juice probably isn't a good substitute!! Thank you!

I was told by my respiratory therapist that it would be okay to use tap water for a week.

However, your mileage may vary.

I just left my machine at home rather than lug it through the airports.

Distilled water should be used in the humidifier to avoid mineral deposit build up. So a week or so "should" be ok. I have used bottled water and tap water before depending on where I go for short periods.

I use bottled water when I travel and haven't had any issues. I wouldn't use the tap water in Mexico.

I don't know anything about CPAP machines, but you might consider whether boiling some water would precipitate out enough minerals to make it suitable for your use. The result isn't quite as pure as distilled water, but whether it's suitable depends on what one needs it for.

I don't know anything about CPAP machines, but you might consider whether boiling some water would precipitate out enough minerals to make it suitable for your use. The result isn't quite as pure as distilled water, but whether it's suitable depends on what one needs it for.

What would cause that to happen? Magic?

The problem with using regular water on an every night basis is that you would get particle build up in your reservoir. Doing it for a week won't hurt it.

Thanks to all. I'm onboard with the bottled water. After thinking about it, I agree that there would be very little chance that it would cause enough calcification (in 10 days) to cause any issues. I appreciate your help!

Mega carries distilled water. It is not with the normal water. I've always seen it on an end cap around the center of the store - usually on an end cap by the laundry soaps. I have also seen it at Sam's club - but like all things at Sam's - once something is gone, they don't always restock it right away - or even at all. Merchandising & Inventory Control are not strong skill sets among the island store management :D

Good luck and hope this helps!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom