CPR for PADI Rescue Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm taking a combined adult CPR/First Aid class from the Red Cross for $60. It is from 8:30 am until 4:30 pm. It was supposed to be last Sat. but it was postponed until April because of the snow/ice storm.

The first time around for my Rescue I did PADI EFR. For my DM cert I did a one day Red Cross course that combines CPR/Basic First Aid and they accepted that.

Cheers.

-J.-

GA Under Water:
The new one says No breaths, Just compressions is fine. It also says that they may not update the Classes except to say, it is fine without the breaths.
It's not new, it has not happended yet. It will not be implimented untill 2008.Please stop spreading ill informed medical advice.

"Although the study supported the use of chest presses only, the American Heart Association did not expect its advice to change. It recommends that bystanders provide compression-only CPR if they are “unwilling or unable” to do mouth-to-mouth breathing at the same time, and for emergency dispatchers to give instructions on that."
Did you even read the article? It backs up what I just said. Please refrain from spreading speculation on future guidelines as the new way to do it.

What part of what I said is different from what the artical said. MAYBE you should read the post to see that you are asking silly questions. I read the artical and paraphrased what it said and posted the link to allow you to read it and comprehend it as you see. even the Quote you used from the artical and the Quote of mine says the same thing. What is your deal, you havng a bad day?? Or just some sand in your shorts?

Ok let's do this a better way than bickering.

March 17, 2007
Without Mouth-to-Mouth, CPR Still Works

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
This is public news. I am not starting some rumor.

Chest compressions — not mouth-to-mouth resuscitation — seem to be the key in helping someone recover from cardiac arrest, according to new research that further bolsters advice from heart experts.
Oh look, the first quote of the Artical says it is new and not the old 30:2.

More than a year ago, the American Heart Association revised CPR guidelines to put more emphasis on chest presses, recommending 30 instead of 15 for every two breaths
Here they mention the changes from a year ago.

Although the study supported the use of chest presses only, the American Heart Association did not expect its advice to change. It recommends that bystanders provide compression-only CPR if they are “unwilling or unable” to do mouth-to-mouth breathing at the same time, and for emergency dispatchers to give instructions on that.
this is their wording

GA Under Water:
The new one says No breaths, Just compressions is fine. It also says that they may not update the Classes except to say, it is fine without the breaths.
Pardon me but when they say that if you are "unwilling or unable" to do mouth to mouth, It recommends compression-only CPR.

it was a paraphrase.

If you want to ***** at someone for "spreading ill-informed medical information" don't come to me, go to the NYC Times and complain.

Tell someone to read? Read something yourself before jumping on someone's back.

To make sure no one is ill-informed by reading these posts and not the artical itself this is for Cardiac arrest only.

Since this is a water sport, let's hear what they say about noncardiac causes.

“It is important to note that victims of cardiac arrest from noncardiac causes, like near-drowning or electrocution, and almost all victims of pediatric cardiac arrest benefit from a combination of rescue breathing and chest compressions,” a heart association statement says.

GA UNDER WATER I'm afraid Wildcard is right....and the article says

" for emergency dispatchers to give instructions on that" meaning the mouth to mouth breathing....This article doesn't mean for everyone to stop doing the breathing...its saying that chest compressions are better then nothing...but without
O2 being introduced into the system your're really doing nothing but wasting time...

And yes the writer of the article got it wrong as well....I've read some of the new reports that have been sent to the American Red Cross..and they mostly said that starting Compressions as soon as possible was a priority...BUT IT never said to NEVER do RESCUE Breathing... it implied that once the "rescuer" was in-touch with 911 operators they could instruct on how to do the rescue breathing....At no point did it suggest "not teaching rescue breathing in CPR classes" ....

SO PLEASE DON"T START RUMORS ABOUT CPR CLASSES BEING CHANGED TO NOT INCLUDE RESCUE BREATHING....:no

I Said that they may not update the classes.

not update the Classes except to say,

And the artical says for Emergency dispatchers to give instructions on Chest compressions only if the bystanders are unable or unwilling to give mouth to mouth.

It recommends that bystanders provide compression-only CPR if they are “unwilling or unable” to do mouth-to-mouth breathing at the same time, and for emergency dispatchers to give instructions on that.

Common, am I the only one reading the whole sentence.

If the report is wrong then, Then I appologize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom